openSUSE 11 Out!

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Coolio10, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

2. L815

L815 Guest

Oh great news! :argh:

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    It's absolutely impossible for a human to keep up with all the new software. No time to review them all, no time ...
    Mrk

4. L815

L815 Guest

5. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Yes, both a Gnome and KDE4 one... :)

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

you sure can waste alot of dvd's and cd's testing out linux.
    im still trying out fedora 9
    it was working until i tryed to reinstall it properly with seprate home partition.

7. Sputnik

@lodore
    How about CD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-RW... Or netinstall... :D

8. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

lol@Mrk
    Thanks for the heads up.

9. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

u can use VM or VIRTUALBOX waste none :)

chers

10. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Agree with that Mrk' There's so many I want to try but so little time.

I didn't really get on with Suse 10.3. I can't put my finger on it, but it just didn't feel right to me. That's not to say it's bad, I just didn't fall in love with it.

I've actually managed to stay with a distro for a month now - The mighty Zenwalk. I love it and it's also the only distro that i've managed to set up on the missus Dell laptop. IMO a great distro that's well worth a look. I really don't have that urge to hop now. I have found my Linux grail *until the next one ;)

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

true but wmware server doesnt work with vista yet and couldnt get internet in virtual box.
    @Sputnik,
    only have write once cd's and dvd's atm.
    i may try the net install.

12. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Do you mean your version of Vista lodore?

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i mean that wmware server 1 doesnt fully support vista yet as far as i know.
    didnt work fully last time i tryed it.
    i have vista home premium 32bit Sp1.
    if thats not what you meant im not sure what you mean.

14. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

On the board: SuSe 11, PC/OS, Tiny Me, Open Solaris 2008/5

In the current Mix: EasySys, Arch, Zenwalk 5.2, Vector, Xubuntu
    (...oooooohhh slackware ...:-* with XFCE = :-* :-* )
    Wrestling with PC-BSD and desktopBSD
    Looking at Ulteo, Wubi, andlinux: not quite cooked.
    Mepis and Wolvix in the mix :)

Dumped: Ubuntu HH, Foresight, Mandriva , Myah 3, gOs

One OS to rule them all: PCLOS. VERY hard to beat here. Benchmark for o'n'o useability and accessability.

It started as an interest.. nowgonetopotchasingdistroshopelessaddictnoteatenfordayseyesbleedingnoshowerbucketinroompressureulcerssleepinchairsoakingitupneednewdistroeveryday... actualworkgonetohellinbasketHDoverheatedscreenmeltedfamilymovedout..living for kernel ppaaannniiiccc and dependency hhhheeellllll....

Heeelllllpppp mmmeee
    :eek:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  15. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

OK.
    Start by getting rid of Suse, and mono stuff. Avoid Novell. Just my opinion though..

16. Sputnik

@Pedro
    Nothing wrong with Novell. :thumb: Without Novell many big open-source projects would have serious problems. The whole Microsoft-pact thingy is very very very over hyped... :doubt:

17. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

No, the big problems arise with these people.
    There's a whole blog on Novell and similar you might want to follow. A bit over the top, but generally right.

18. Sputnik

They got a special website about it:
    http://www.novell.com/linux/microsoft/

Personally I find it a pity that many people in the open-source media are very black 'n white thinking. While the Novell-Microsoft pact might be very business (financial) orientated, people forget the important role of Novell in the open-source world. Without Novell projects like OpenOffice.org would almost stall in development.

19. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

It's not free software, and it's bundled in SUSE, GNOME, god knows what else. Whenever they want, they can stop feeding Novell for Mono development, and you're stuck.
    http://boycottnovell.com/2007/07/23/gnome-mono-dep/

They also reserve the right to sue, afaik. Only Novel won't be sued, because of the deal. For whatever time MS let them that is.
    http://boycottnovell.com/2008/03/07/mono-oftware-patent-trap/
    http://www.thestandard.com/news/2008/03/06/mix-novells-de-icaza-criticizes-microsoft-patent-deal

Slowly they put non free software in the heart of major free software projects. It's the way i see it, and there's nothing that will change my opinion.

The only thing we have going for us is RMS, with the GPL v3.

There's a lot you should read.

Stick with Fedora.
    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ForbiddenItems#Moonlight

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i dont have anything against novell.
    my college used to have novell servers the year before i went to it and the network worked great. but the main person who set it alll up retired so the people left couldnt be bothered to learn linux so they installed windows 2003 on the servers and now the network is rubbish,crashs alot and is slow.
    anyway why should novell be any different than anyother company making linux distros?
    linux is getting easier to install and use all the time soon enough everyone will be using linux in some form or another and microsoft might not excist. *crosses fingers*

21. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

lodore, MS will always exist.
    The question is, just how free will free software be.

The main issue is not about how easy it is to install. It's about proprietary or free. Being free (not in cost terms!!), is what it's all about.

22. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I agree Longboard! Been using it for about a month and simply love it :)

23. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Not until software developers making the drivers, computer manufacturers' jump out of Microsofts' pockets and web developers stop concentrating on Internet Explorer they won't. You're not going to see a worldwide move to Linux until graphics cards, wireless, games, sound cards and so on work straight out of the box and also not in a crippled form....without having to use just 1 or 2 brands of hardware makers. You also have to get people to move away from the standards in Office software and the like and into the more open source ones.

Let's face it, if it doesn't work right without having to result in tweaking, workarounds and all that, people, especially businesses, are not likely to adopt to it. There's nothing at all wrong with Linux, Linux itself is ready, but the people with the money that can help it and support growth, are not. You also have to realize that as long as Microsoft has the billions and the market, they aren't going to go away.

24. Sputnik

@Pedro
    I understand your concerns. However I don't fully understand Fedora's opinion on Moonlight:
    I'll read me in the possible legal issues more when I get home. Though I would like to say that the whole Mono development might not be that bad. In corporate environments many applications are switching to .NET, making them compatible or easy to port to Linux is a big advantage in my opinion.

25. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

I downloaded live cd 32/64 bit.

Yast is great, I love this information tool, btw did anyone also experience BeZae at the end of most device IDs?
    Sounds like da vinci fans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.