Opening closed ports on NAT device and bypassing stateful firewalls with BeEF

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by EncryptedBytes, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

-http://blog.beefproject.com/2012/07/opening-closed-ports-on-nat-device-and.html-

2. Eww, nasty. I cannot wait until malicious sites start using remote exploits, instead of tired old drive-by downloads. :rolleyes:

Anyway... How would UFW's default configuration for iptables fair against such an attack? And what about Windows software firewalls? Would I be wrong in suspecting an interactive firewall might be safer in this case?

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

AppArmor can limit your program and resitrct them from being able to use protocols like IRC, which are necessary for protocol spoofing (haven't read it yet, assuming that's what this is.)

An outbound Firewall would prevent this as well by locking the program to specific ports.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Merged Threads, Eliminating Redundant Posts.

5. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

So the key there is that the user has some kind of server (FTP, ssh, etc) running. If you don't there's nothing to forward.

http://samy.pl/natpin/

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I'd probably want to make sure 135-139 and 445 were closed as well. I've found internet accessible shares that were meant to be private because those ports were open.

7. Doesn't Windows, by default, keep ports open beneath its firewall though?

8. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

There are at least 3 open ports on Windows by default for the NetBIOS or something else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.