OpenDNS blocking a ton of sites...

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by The Oracle, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Oracle

The Oracle Registered Member

I have made some major changes to my system as a result of following this board. Sadly, I have created more problems than what I came in with.

Most folks around here suggest using OpenDNS or Norton DNS for their DNS servers. I made all the switches to OpenDNS and I am finding it to be quite a Nazi site. It has blocked my web server which is one of the best encrypted web servers, it blocks being able to look at Norton DNS information pages, it has blocked OpenVPN's main website, and it blocks a bunch of pages that I have just come across as I go. It gives me problems because I am on a VPN and alerts me that my IP address is taken by another user.

Everything is set up correctly, and I am using the correct DNS servers. Is this for real?? It is starting to seem like the more I setup for security, the more freedom I am giving up in return.

Does NortonDNS have the same problems? I am having a hard time letting a DNS server tell me where I can and can't go, even though I know the servers are fine to connect to. Why would OpenDNS block mainstream sites like NortonDNS unless it does this just to avoid you from pulling away from their service. If this is truly the case, I don't want to have any part of a censorship server.

Thanks

2. The Oracle

Actually, I just wiped clean the DNS info for OpenDNS, got the information for NortonDNS, applied it, flushed my DNS, and can see all the pages I wasn't able to access just fine with Norton's running.

Thanks anyway.

3. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

4. The Oracle

Will do, thanks Fox.

5. marktor

marktor Registered Member

Personally I use OpenNic. It does not provide the security of Comodo and Open DNS of blocking malware sites. What it does provide is better anonymity though because many of the OpenNic DNS servers do not log your DNS requests. I also like that many of them are in another country besides my own. Check out the list of OpenNic DNS providers here: http://opennicproject.org/en/publictier2servers the servers that do not log will be indicated.

6. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Wow?

I think this is more of user issue because OpenDNS is not blocking anything you mentioned for me! o_O Did you even try tweaking your OpenDNS Settings in the OpenDNS Dash-Board?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  7. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

You can use all of the logless DNS servers you like but unless your DNS Requests are encrypted your ISP can still read them regardless of which logless DNS servers you use! I'm glad to hear OpenDNS came out with DNSCrypt.

8. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

@The Oracle

What sites did OpenDNS block? I don't recall seeing that. I have wondered sometimes about their "can't find that" page, but never enough to experiment with other DNS servers.

@marktor

Thanks for mentioning OpenNIC. I've been using two German servers, and they are working well so far. They say: "Our goal is to provide you with quick and reliable DNS services and access to domains not administered by ICANN." I see from their FAQ that they operate 11 non-ICANN TLDs, such as bbs, free and geek. That's very cool.

9. progress

progress Guest

... and tomorrow it will block a cat site because the OpenDNS boss is a dog fan :D OpenDNS seems to be as unreliable as WOT these days ... :(

10. marktor

marktor Registered Member

Very True.. I use a VPN anyway so my DNS request are routed through them anyway. The problem with OpenDns though is they keep logs of what IPs make what request. So there is no perfect answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.