Openbox users - 4 great pipe menus.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Not using Openbox myself, but thought this might be of interest to those fans of Openbox. :)

Four great pipe menus for Openbox

2. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Thanks for the link....

I'm an OpenBox geek, been one for many years and when you've been into Linux a long time you soon learn there is more then one way to skin a cat.

So the concept here is called 'PIPING', piping the information from one place to another.

So for those new to all this and see this menu scheme of piping you can also do a lot or most of it I'm sure through applications, at least I do.

Feh can be used to add an entry into the OpenBox menu to switch wallpapers, this is what I do and for everything else listed on that link you can use Conky to pipe in all the other information to your desktop.

Conky;

http://conky.sourceforge.net/

Conky is also a lot more efficient because it's there on your desktop always in view, no need to go digging around in the menu. :)

Here's a screen shot of my desktop;

http://postimage.org/image/2egvrechw/full/

Showing conky on the desktop running a few things and my menu showing the wallpaper section with the word 'feh' to the right. I click on feh and it pops open a window and I use my mouse wheel and scroll through the images and when I come to the one I like I hit enter on my keyboard and it becomes set as the wallpaper...

Cheers :)

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.