OP Pro / Ruleset for XP Home Remote Assistance

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by f_disk, Nov 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. f_disk

f_disk Guest

Does anyone know a ruleset that will allow OP Pro to use XP Home Remote Assistance?

I've had no luck in getting it to work (rules wiz mode, getting ZERO popups to allow).

I've had no problems with other firewalls..............

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

f_disk,

Ou "OutPost Guru" (root) will no doubt drop by to answer your question. Taking different time zones into account, this could take a couple of hours ;).

regards.

paul

3. f_disk

f_disk Guest

I've already posted it on Agnitums site:

You can follow it here:

http://www.agnitum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=39196#post39196

I believe this might be an issue with the LinkSys router.......I think it needs UPnP to be Enabled.

4. root

root Registered Member

Unfortunately, I can offer no assistance in this. I am not familiar with the function and I do not use XP. David, at Agnitum is the best chance for help at the forum.
    I know that Outpost will not support remote administration for obvious reasons. Whether what you want to do falls in that area, I do not know.
    You may be correct about UPNP, but the last I read on the subject, UPnP was meant to get your refrigerator talking to your toaster, and don't believe there are very many uses for UPnP available right now.
    Chris, at the Outpost forum is pretty good with the linky and I know he would not mind a PM to see if he knows anything.
    If you wish, if you explain to me what remote assistance is and the basics of what it does, I may be able to point you in a direction to look.
    Sorry, I can't do more.

5. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

For those who don´t know what it is and how it works: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gethelp/remoteassist/default.asp
    And this might be helpful:
    from: http://www.swynk.com/windows/zandri/70-270-16-1.asp

Regards,

Pieter

6. root

root Registered Member

Good find there Pieter.
    If allowing that doesn't work, it is because Outpost was not meant to support remote admininstration.

7. f_disk

f_disk Guest

I was able to get it to work..................

#1 UpNP in the Linksys router MUST be enabled.

#2 UpNP in XP MUST be enabled...I had previously disabled it using Steve Gibsons tool for UpNP. This HAD to be reversed in order for Messenger to work correctly.

#3 Reboot all machines on your network. If you have a firewall installed you might see some pop-ups to let UDP 1900 out.......this is necessary for Messenger to communicate.......let it have access.

#4 I tested the Remote Access both in and outgoing....worked perfectly!

8. f_disk

f_disk Guest

Well UpNP is a joke. After enabling it in the router and in XP (I'm 99.9% sure XP is the culprit here), I started getting weird things happening.

There are 5 pc's in my lan:

Two of them had no internet access.

Two of them recognized the Linksys router as a new device, others didn't.

All had ICS installed and enabled in them (even though connection was previously through router). Surfing and email were dead and dial-up wanted to keep launching (even after telling it never dial in the internet properties).

Two of them had mysteriously started missing icons.....NOD32 on two, Palm Hotsync on one.

I reconfigured the network and ICS still was stuck in the network properties......had to manually disable it by a right click.

Utilizing Gibsons tool for UpNP, I turned it back off. The icons reappeared and ICS disappeared!

Had to re-run the network configuration wizard to make sure everything was kosher..........

Remote Access did NOT work.......I think I'll live without the Remote Access rather than all these problems UpNP created! I can't believe the UpNP caused all these errors (yes I can). That's the nature of what it was designed to do......communicate behind the scenes and do its own thing!

9. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

If you are still wanting to explore remote access have you considered a utility other than the XP one if it is causing you too much trouble.

One example is VNC: http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/ (others may provide alternatives).

It would require a static IP on the system behind the Linksys and the appropriate port be forwarded through the router/gateway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.