Only thing needed is FW for outbound

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Franklin, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Get rid of your ancient realtme blacklist scanners!

Run FF with noscript through Sandboxie and use PowerShadow and you can't get infected with anything after a reboot!

Adaware,Spybot, Hosts file,SpywareBlaster,Nod32 and Kasperesky are all crap that may add several thousand reg entrties to your reg that just aren't needed.

May add that any realtime AV's are redundant as well.

2. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Re: Only thing needfedf is FW for outbound

That's no fun. I do use AVG 7.5 AV and it's FireWall behind a Router Firewall, but what would I have to play with without my antispyware programs. I realize that browsing with Firefox like I do and having NoScript installed like I do, is pretty good protection along with my AV and both FW's, but I would miss using Spyware Terminator, Ashampoo Antispyware, Arovax Shield, and even Windows Defender at different times. Your right though, a sandbox type program is probably all one needs for security, but since I've never been infected even while using Windows Defender and AVG Free 7.1 in the past, I might as well use programs that are fun to have on board.

3. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Until you need them:doubt:

4. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Until you reboot!:D

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

sounds like a great idea, but id find it a hassle to manually scan all my downloads.

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I myself always use ShadowUser Pro for the very reasons you mentioned.

I still think that if you want to save anything from the shadow session, it ought to be clean and therefore a good updated AV is still necessary. I personally don't use any AT or AS, my AV + HIPS + registry protection are more than adequate.

But then again I have never been prompted about anything in the last year, therefore you could be right: Virtualization + good firewall + safe browser are really all one needs.

My AV has promted me a few times when I was trying to start some photo CD's which were infected with trojans. I would never save to disk anything that is given to me to examine hence in shadowmode there is no danger even if you are starting something knowingly infected.

The bottom line is that if you don't save anything from the shadow session, you don't really need any scanner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.