Online Armor FW/Sandboxie conflict

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by John Bull, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

I hope somebody can help on this. I have posted on the OA Forum, but almost no replies and got nowhere. Gave them up.

My OA Free works perfect with IE8 and Firefox, but when I open Firefox in Sandboxie, certain sites stick on "Not Responding" and I have to crash out each time. I have looked everywhere on the net and checked over and over again the configurations for OA and SBie.

Can`t find anything amiss, but SBxie and OA sure are fighting each other.

As an example I will give you just one site that sticks, there have been others - http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Luton-UKXX0088

I tried ZA Free. That worked fine, no sticking on any sites including the one above, it was perfect, but my AVG 2011 did not like ZA - AVG panel told me to get rid of ZA as a conflicting program, so I did and put in OA.

Many thanks. I do hope you can resolve this silly little problem. I am beaten, but am sure it is a matter of twitching something easy.

John

2. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

Last time i ve tryed sandboxie along Zone Alarm there was a bug.The sandbox would take a lot of time to delete it s contents ,few times it happend to stay with the X mark instead of the yellow icon.So they may be not fully compatible.
    Sandboxie conflicts with some security apps , sometimes those vendors fix it sometimes they don t.One year ago BD was generating BSOD-s with Sandboxie and they needed 2 weeks to fix the issue.Of course i ve reported the issue and supplyed minidumps tru BD forum.
    Try some other firewall.

3. osip

osip Registered Member

Cannot see any conflict here. Running OA Prem with Sandboxie and Opera/Maxthon. I don't have FF. Your UK weather site opens w/o problems.

4. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

OA Prem 4.5.1.431 + Sandboxie 3.50 + Firefox 3.6.12, the site opens fine.

5. John Bull

I am really sorry to have raised this thread and apologise to everybody.
    At the time, I was desperate for a solution having no idea what was going wrong.

After this explanation I suggest that one of our dedicated Mods delete it, as although I have reached a solution, the problem explained has not been solved and readers may be confused.

Briefly :-
    All my programs are Free versions and I use Sandboxie all the time with Firefox as my browser.

I used Comodo FW and Defense+ for several years until about 2-3 months ago. It was an old version and could not be updated. It gave impeccable service all those years. I decided to change since I did not want the CIS package, only the FW and CIS-v4 failed 4-5 times to install on my set. It was the FW that crashed each time.

I installed Online Armor FW. I was impressed with it, but found that a number of sites repeatedly stuck on "Not Responding". I had to crash out of Firefox each time and start again. This was unacceptable. OA worked perfect with IE8 and un-sandboxed FF.

Conclusion - OA and SBxie are not compatible unless some configuration is needed and I could not find the answer. I uninstalled AO.

I then installed ZoneAlarm. Again I was impressed and no more trouble with sites sticking. But AVG stated it was a conflicting program and vital AVG files were said to be missing. I then tried OA again, but no joy, same thing happened. This was when I posted Wilders having had no luck with the OA Forum.

I decided to give Comodo FW with Defense + another try only a few hours ago. I selected just the FW with Defense+ and it went in without any problems. So far nothing bad at all has happened, the new style is very attractive and everything now works - absolutely no trouble.

So, that is it. My problems as described were very real and whilst others may not experience them, I repeatedly did.

Hopefully Comodo will now perform as perfectly as before and I can relax.

I am sorry to have wasted your time, but hope this explanation is sufficient. Just bare in mind the conflicts described have not gone away, I have simply chosen a new partner.

John

6. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

OA++ and sandboxie never had any issue when I was using them. I had sandboxie 3.48 and OA 4.5. They worked rather well together. Maybe try an older version of sandboxie rather than 3.50.

7. noway

noway Registered Member

8. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Not quite true John about getting almost no replies

http://support.online-armor.com/showthread.php?t=14491

I think what you mean is that you didn't get the reply you wanted, a 'press this button'' and all is fixed answer.

Truth is most folk have no problem using OA and Sbie and getting to the site you mentioned.

9. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

True.
    With OA 4.5.1.431 (free), FF 3.6.12 and SBIE 3.50, it looks partly cloudy at Luton.

10. John Bull

I honestly appreciate all your comments as I always do on Wilders, but the net result is as I have explained it.

In my case :-
    OA and Sandboxie had a problem.
    ZA and AVG had a problem.

To resolve these conflicts would have meant a complex discussion on FOUR programs and it is too much to handle on a Forum, even with my extreme admiration of Wilders unbelievable source of knowledge.

Comodo has NO problem with anything, all the family get on together in happy unison, so why bother about the incompatibilities encountered by other programs ? If the problem is solved by using a different program and the system is working perfectly, why waste time on matters that no longer exist ?

My problem has been solved by simply selecting a different program. I have no further interest in pursuing this matter.

I suggest the thread is closed. As far as I am concerned all this trouble is now history.

BUT I sincerely thank every one of you for your honest attempts to solve the initial problems described. They are still very real and not just a function of my particular set-up.

John

11. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I agree. If you have found that by merely switching programs you can attain what you need. Did you try an earlier version of sandboxie? I'd love for you to use OA because it is a great program. I'm sure that sounds funny because I'm using comodo but I was a long time OA user. I still have 2 license for OA++ and OA premium. If you do feel comfortable with comodo than thats great.

12. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

A bit off-topic here but still related to Sandboxie problems:

I personally have problems with Sandboxie and SRP when I was using V3.46. I decided to go brutal and went back to V3.44 to set things right after a few trial and errors. V3.50 worked fine for a while but resulted in certain issues after a few days if I remember correctly. I can't bother to update Sandboxie anymore unless things really break further.

Guess the principle "Don't fix it if it ain't broken" applies to me here.

13. fax

fax Registered Member

btw, for whoever has problems with ZAfree and AVG 2011 you find a fix here.

14. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

No problems here cause all boxes are excluded from OA - sandboxie can protect itself.

15. John Bull

Now THAT bit of information is comforting - I did NOT imagine the problems I have described.

ME ! - I think OA and ZA Free are superb FW`s, I like them very much, they are professional and have a great display and user friendly design, but they did give me the trouble I explained and I simply got fed up with it.

So far, Comodo has not posed a single problem, it gets on with AVG and SBxie like family. So until the other people get their house in order, I will stick with Comodo.

To the point of boredom, I reiterate my sincere thanks to all posters for their attempt to help. Wilders is a wonderful site for dedicated and expert response. If posing a problem on Wilders does not result in a solution, then I feel I have played my Joker and retire from the game.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.