Online Armor Free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by MikeNash, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

Just curious....why would you use Kerio FW with OA...OA is a firewall.

2. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Because his posts about this conflict are one year old and even the firewall was not implemented in OA !!!!!!

Regards,

MaB

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Yes, I remember those old days, that was early 2005, when I installed OA 1, it immediately crashed my laptop(which was only 6 months new). I was so sacred to retry it until just now. Time is flying, tech has progressed, and good app makes its way to better. I think OA2 is a good example.

4. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

No issues here with AVG and ThreatFire. Anyone else using OA Free and TF without problems?

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

The website suggests it's like Wormguard, i see that now, but could you elaborate a bit, how do you compare the two.

6. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Correct, but it stopped me using OA. I never really saw that the conflict was properly acknowledged, so as far as I know it still stands. I may prefer a different firewall other than OA but would still be interested OA's other functions.

For the record I dont use Kerio anymore.

Mike was very helpful, but to no avail....but i had issues with it not being resolved. I was told to hang on, the OA with FW would be out soon...that soon turned out to be a long time, hence i moved on to other apps

7. Sealord

Sealord Registered Member

Nice looking product.

NetBIOS settings are entered automatically per the attachment. Now one assumes these are restricted to the local network (as I believe is the case in the paid version) but it is not so clear in the free version. In fact are there any settings where one can fix local network?

Attached Files:

8. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

According to my team, this incompatibility is caused because admuncher does not implement its hooking correctly. I made a decision not to keep updating OA every time admuncher got released to keep up with it. Instead, we will be updating the webshield in a later version of OA to block ads.

9. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Yep, writing firewalls is hard :( From what I remember of the issue, OA would not work with Kerio - I think because Kerio was nailing OA's usermode hooks. Since OA is now (aside from webshield/mailshield) in the kernel, Kerio should work.

However - OA has moved on a lot since then.. your licence key is still good for v2, so you should have a look.

10. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Thats exactly right. You may not change the restricted port set in the free version.

11. soccerfan

soccerfan Registered Member

Can OA free be set up to work with proxomitron
    (with default firewall settings or otherwise)?
    Thanks for any info.
    soccerfan

12. jtcst

jtcst Registered Member

Hi,

I uninstalled Comodo Firewall and am giving OA Free a try. I noticed that everytime I run Gmail Notifier and click either "OK" or "Cancel", my computer gets a blue screen for a split second then immediately restarts. When OA is
    disabled, Gmail Notifier runs without trouble. I'm running Antivir and WinPatrol in real-time.

Also, the frequent balloon pop-ups from the system tray is distracting. Is there any way to disable it?

Other than those gripes, I'm satisfied with Online Armor and will probably replace Comodo with it.

Thanks.

13. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

Maybe this would help... :)

Attached Files:

14. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Does anyone else have the gmail notifier issue?

The ballon popup can be disabled on the options screen (Notify me when program is auto allowed)

15. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

I don't use proxo, but as it is a local proxy you probably need to turn on loopback interface processing (depending on how proxo is implemented under the hood).

This option may not be available in OA Free, but it is probably one we should surface before release.

16. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

FWIW- I used Cyberhawk Pro (pretty much same as threatfire) and I posted over on the OA forum a couple months back that OA ran at 50% each morning. Well come to find out that I had TuneUp Utilities auto running very late each night and for some reason CH would cause OA to run at 50% after the TU scans. I was able to repeat this by running TU manually and after CH was uninstalled OA running at 50% went away. Sorry I did not get back with you on this way back then.

17. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

I think this is also caused by us cleaning the history DB at boot. This is being moved to a more appropriate moment

18. thorough

thorough Registered Member

Hi All,

When should we approximately expect the final free version available on your site? I am still receiving those annoying iexplore.exe application errors when I close IE7 pro.

All the best,

:blink:

19. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

You and AM author already talked about this?

20. thorough

thorough Registered Member

So is admuncher part of IE7pro? Is that what you are saying vampiric crow?
    Then I will uninstall the add in IE7pro and surf only with IE7 will this solve the problem do you think?
    Thanks

21. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

No, it was my team reviewed situation after making some exceptions in code a few times for AM.

22. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Ad muncher is a completely separate program. I have it installed here, but OA neuters it

23. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

No :)

They are separated and different programs ;)

IE7pro works with OA...

24. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

25. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

I am hoping end of the week - though we may release another preview release, first

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.