Online Armor Firewall Shows Strong Promise

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Dieselman, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

2. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

As far as it being down with Comodo. I guess it's who you listen to, and what you believe. Scotts been wrong before, and it seems some computer magazines do cater to the big names in security software. However, I simply think free verses a whopping 39.99 for Online Armor, makes Comodo Pro 3.0 hard to beat no matter who you may listen to.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2236657,00.asp

3. Dieselman

Online Armor is free...................duh and less buggy and naggy. The full version just adds more keylooger protection but Matousec did a test on the free version of OA and it came in first. And $ 39 aint much. I paid that for NOD32.

4. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I wouldn't listen to a word Scott Finnie says. He's wrong about so many things that it's almost comical.

5. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

OA Free is nice and of course it is free. But I don't like the grayed out areas and the only available in the full version reminders I see throughout the GUI. I do however like Comodo's GUI, and know how to read the help file in Comodo to better understand what is really a nice full featured security software program. Of course if there were a help file in OA Free it would be better. As far as the 39.99 price tag for the full version. I have to say I am cheap when it comes to security programs and wouldn't even spend the 19.99 it takes to buy ZAAS, which I also like a lot. At the end of the day I guess it boils down to what you like in security software and what you can afford, but quite honestly even if I could afford to spend 39.99 right now, I still wouldn't spend it on security software.

6. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

~removed un-necessary specualtion....Bubba~

Anyway....comodo offers a lot of options for free, Yes, online armor is free but the paid version has the features that makes it different from other firewalls.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2008
  7. Diver

Diver Registered Member

OA free is a decent firewall. On the other hand Scott Finney has a Mac, so why listen to him. If grayed out areas bother you, that's your loss.

8. Dieselman

Hell I spend 39 every couple of days on gas.

9. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Now if I could afford a MAC, I definitely would spend the money for that. LOL. I don't consider it a loss as I like OA Free and may end up using it with Avast Home when the new release comes out. However, it is nice to use something like Comodo Pro that IMO has a better look and feel than most paid security programs.

10. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Well, a Mac is more than $39. I think I will spend that $1300 chunk of change on diving, and let my Sony give me another year of use with XP SP3 and the usual load of Win security apps.

11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

A couple of posts removed. Let's stick to the discussion of Online Armor Please and suspend the accusations of who someone may\may not be

12. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

LOL. I hope like me you are taking this whole thread lightly as it really is a personal preference in my opinion as to what our favorite softwares may be. I too have a Sony, a 4 year old 512MB of RAM VAIO to be exact and wish I had the money to get anything that's faster and newer than this. LOL. Of course I would much rather spend $1300 on getting my book published, but that's another story. No pun intended. LOL. How's the SP working out? Do you think it is more secure and better than SP? Back on topic, I think the new version of OA Free will be a much better program than the previous one.

13. Dieselman

Hey Word you can help out your lap top by merely adding more ram which is very cheap now a days.

14. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    From my testing, it shows to be a decent, solid, very easy-to-use application. I did not have the chance to test it with online games and p2p, but beside that, it's more of the more complete packages I have tested.
    Mrk

15. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Both Online Armor and COMODO Firewall Pro provide a strong layer of protection. COMODO Firewall Pro ultimately covers more areas and is overall stronger, but once you achieve the level of protection that Online Armor does anything more being needed can be skeptical.

About Scot's Newsletter, after I read his ratings on Look 'n' Stop I could tell he does not test software for what it is, but what he whishes it was, which is okay sometimes, but in many cases he does the equavelant of dinging apples for not being oranges.

Online Armor is definately less naggy overall, although it does take a lot longer to install and the updates are rather large.

16. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

In my opinion (and I know many will disagree) Online Armor FREE is not a real firewall, but it is a good HIPS. I can't say anything about the paid version, because I didn't tried it.

17. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

The install here takes about 5 minutes or so. This includes: uninstalling previous version, installing new version, running scw and two restarts. I am talking about the OA+ version (beta+logging). So that is very reasonable to me.

Which updates are you talking about? The last official one is from November 16/2007. If case you mean beta's it is a complete un/install.
    Regarding AV signatures updating: it is about 20 seconds or so on my box.
    Cheers,

Gerard

18. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

What is it doesn't do that a "real" firewall does?

19. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

From TallEmu site:
    "In standard mode you are asked no technical questions about ports, protocols and so on - just simply "Do you want to allow this program to use the internet?" "

A real firewall allows you a better control of network parameters (IPs, ports) and the posibility of more advanced rules. As far as I understand, the paid version offers that kind of control, but as I said, I didn't try that version.

20. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Zonelabs became very popular using this type of approach. With Comodo it is very easy to end up with any port or protocol rules.

Personally I prefer the advanced interface .... But at the moment I only use the free version of OA on a test machine. My license for the full product has now expired since the beta Q1 2007

OA is a firewall and a HIPs for me

21. Diver

Diver Registered Member

OA free allows the user to edit rules, application by application. It does it for you if you don't want to mess with it.

Personally, I think its cutting edge as the HIPS have been given some smarts. They could use some more. IMO its better than any other firewall that utilizes HIPS because it is so much less intrusive.

As for XP SP3, I am using build 3244 slipsteamed without any issues. Its so good that I did not bother to upgrade to build 3264.

22. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Every couple of weeks? What are you driving at $3.25 per gallon.:D

23. Dieselman

One of my cars is a 1991 Caprice with a 454 and the other is a 2006 EVO with 400 hp.And here in Ct were are at 3.49/gal

24. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

You got some power there my friend.
    The Tool Man (Home Improvement) would love you! LOL :D

25. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Let's turn our focus back to the thread topic and continue the chit chat concerning high cost of gas\gas guzzlers privately Please.

Thanks,
    Bubba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.