Online Armor and Sandboxied Chrome connectivity issue

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by GrammatonCleric, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

The last update of chrome seemed to have done something between sandboxie and OA.
    I can't get Chrome to communicate out from Sandboxie when OA is running.
    If/when I kill OA then Chrome works fine within sandboxie.
    Also Chrome works fine with OA when not running in Sandboxie.
    I have tried disabling all the OA shields one by one but as long as the OA process was running it was still blocking Chrome from within Sandboxie.

IE in Sandboxie works fine.

Versions:

Chrome: 21.0.1180.60
    Sandboxie: 3.72 (64bit)
    OA: 5.5.0.1616

2. jna99

jna99 Registered Member

I'm not able to give you a solution, as I don't have emsisoft OA running. But it seems there are more people with your kind of trouble with the combination of Chrome, Online Armor and Sandboxie.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=329437

Seems like user Page42 has the same problem. Hopefully he has found a solution or OA is protecting too much since most chrome/chromium browser are configured to run at a lower integrity level in Windows 7/8.
    Meaning less rights, maybe OA is picking up on this setting and restricting it even more and tries to run the browser in "run safer" ? I'm just speculating here. I hope someone with more knowledge is able to comment here.

Edit: Could be that there are basically three sandboxes interfering with eachother, Chrome with its own builtin invisible sandbox, Sandboxie and OA trying to control the browser which is already sandboxed by sandboxie.
    Alternatively you can check here (link below), but I can't say I see any solution as of yet :(

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/7575-issues-with-sbie-and-chrome/

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  3. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

4. jna99

jna99 Registered Member

Indeed, I'm sorry that I'm not able to tell you a solution. Seems like people on Emsisoft's own forum have the same issues as you have. In my first reply to you I've put a link to emsisoft support forum and the date of that post is march 2012, so I think emsisoft is having problems to make OA compatible with Sandboxie somehow. As I said I'm not really very helpful here, I'm hoping someone will come to your rescue about this chrome/sandboxie/OA issue.

5. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

i found ticking online armor in the sandboxie software compatibility section solved this problem for me.Ive had no issues since.:)

6. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

And i found replacing OA with Privatefirewall resolved my problem.:D

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Replacing OA with Comodo FW did the trick for me. ;)

8. The Red Moon

I would agree replacing with comodo is a good choice but not PFW.
    Just my opinion.;)

9. guest

guest Guest

I had the same issue and I ended up uninstalling OA

10. The Red Moon

Has anybody here actually checked the sandboxie software compatibility assistant?
    It worked for me and everything runs fine or would people sooner not bother trying and just uninstall instead.:cautious:

11. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Software Compatibility Assistant never resolved the issue for me. The last few versions of OA (including the latest) have totally locked up my PC when attempting to run Chrome under SBIE - a hard reset was the only way out. This leads me to believe that other software was causing additional compatibilities....which for me can only be Surun or EMET. When I get a chance I intend to test whether one of these is causing the problem.

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Pretty much a no-brainer for SBIE users to utilize the compatibility tool.
    It simply didn't do the trick for me.
    Faced with the choice of eliminating one of the three softwares involved, I had no trouble deciding to keep Chrome and Sandboxie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.