Online, Anonymity Breeds Contempt

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Dogbiscuit, Nov 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

Article

2. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

This is pretty much what I'd expect from a Facebook employee.

3. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

Is your irony intentional?

4. hierophant

Any anonymous (or pseudonymous) criticism of this article could be considered ironic, I suppose. OTOH, given that anonymity is rather mainstream here, wholehearted agreement would arguably have been more ironic. Anyway, I wasn't being ironic, just critical, and I'd say it to her face :)

5. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

I can't say I necessarily agree with the conclusion about "slowly lifting the veil of anonymity" by stopping anonymous comments. But her position clearly assumes that privacy and anonymity have their limitations, something I seldom see articulated here.

6. hierophant

OK, fair enough. I do recall that we've discussed that, although not lately (perhaps last year). So, perhaps it's time for another go at it.

As y'all probably get by now, I believe that any imposed limitation of privacy and anonymity is unacceptable. I assert the "right to self-ownership" (Rothbard). I stand for personal integrity and responsibility, and oppose coercion. In Crowley's words: "Do What Thou Wilt Shall be the Whole of the Law, Love is the Law, Love under Will." I could also quote Burroughs, and will pass on that for now. Basically, FWIW, I'm an anarchist radical.

7. caspian

caspian Registered Member

LOL.....

8. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I agree with everything that you have said. And I like the Crowley quote. The Wiccans have something similar like "Do what thou wilt lest ye harm no one" or something like that. That pretty much sums things up for me.

But anyway. I use a VPN and hide my IP address because I've got something to hide......Like that email conversation that I had with my Mother about when I will be home for Christmas. It's nobody's effing business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.