OneCare should not have been rolled out

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by rothko, Mar 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rothko

rothko Registered Member

2. The One

The One Frequent Poster

Finally someone woke up at Microsoft

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

But the question is whether they are smelling the coffee....

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I don't care about Windows OneCare, it's nothing more than the nth security suite in a row and we already know that security suites are less good than specialized stand-alone softwares.

That's the main problem of Microsoft.
    Microsoft isn't a software company anymore, they act like a bank, buying and selling softwares.
    So, I don't expect any creativity from M$ and that's why I replace each MS Application with a much better alternative, including security.

5. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

They should scrap the product, issue refunds to people who purchased “One Care” and move on. They also should apologies to the ex RAV users for killing a great antivirus product.

tD

6. Firecat

Actually speaking, very little of RAV and its team remains at Microsoft now. I read somewhere that many of RAV's former analysts moved on to Kaspersky and other companies.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Anti-Malware Engineering Team blog
    Blog

8. Technodrome

Mostly Linux Gurus went to Kaspersky Lab. Some stayed with GeCAD and so on…What sadness me is that after acquisition, RAV antivirus was killed and Microsoft was not able to deliver the same product in terms of virus detection and all goodies that RAV had back in time.

tD

9. Firecat

Public Relations and Damage Control. Overall: BS :blink:

10. keith_thfc

keith_thfc Registered Member

Microsoft Windows Defender is generally considered to be rubbish by the experts/reviewers. As is the Microsoft Firewall.

So why on earth would anyone expect One Care to be any different?

If you paid money for this then you've only got yourself to blame.

11. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

They're saving face. Hey, look, we made some mistakes. Next big update will be the real deal. Don't ask for a refund. Pay more.
    On the other hand, the product is new. Even if they're charging money to secure their own Windows... it is new, to be fair.

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Donno what was so great about RAV. Never really found it to be anything special. Not detection wise and not GUI wise. There are other AVs that probably suck more than OneCare and no one is making a big deal. Why? Because they aren't made by MS. Move on...:ouch:

13. rothko

rothko Registered Member

to the uninformed computer user, Microsoft IS computing and if they have put their name to an antivirus program then in that user's opinion it's surely going to be a good product. they have a responsibility to make sure their product is at the very least, ready for release before releasing it.

14. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Yes, and not very good damage control at that.

[RANT]
    I have been a part of OneCare's testers since the beta was available and it has been a trying road. Going into the beta I was assuming the RAV guys/engine would have some more prevelance in the OneCare world, but seemingly the direction changed to a more preventitive style approach backups, cleanup, defrag etc. rather than a so-called "security roadmap".
    This can be viewed in a good way as to educating normal everyday users in the aspects of current backups and maintenance, but what about the security aspect??
    According to the tag line
    Security first by security do they mean system restore?... :cautious:
    They need to step back stop making excuses and either

1. STOP selling it - Non computer technical persons that only know the Microsoft logo are the ones with the most problems(personal exp.) and this is the majority who buy this piece of software(again pers. exp.).

How in G.G.E. does this help at ALL!

These are the people who are getting the zoo malware samples that are missed and these are the people being exploited by new 0-day exploits due inpart to a lame firewall, yet they still sit there and sell sub-standard software as a savior and then wonder why they get lambasted by the press.

or

2. Make a genuine effort to overhaul and improve the security related aspects of this program! It is not like they don't have the resources!

It is like they looked at the failures and decided antivirus and antispyware, were farther on down the list because "Hey we can just do a system restore if we missed it!!"
    [/RANT]

-Whew

15. Technodrome

Did you ever use it? Detection wise it was always on top(Especially the Linux part).

tD

16. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Microsoft's security is based on imitation, it's easier to buy security, then they don't have to think about it.
    Security is just a little hobby of Microsoft.
    Let other companies do the real job and that counts for all MS Applications.

17. BG

BG Registered Member

Did you try it? It was always 3 0r 4 outa 10 in the day. I still have a copy somewhere. Bought a 2yr lic and then MS just screwed things up. Updates lasted less then a year.

18. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ppl are complaining about a new product here, lets not forget that, im sure it will only get better.....and i doubt they would be slow to improve aswell, MS is a big company.

19. Technodrome

Microsoft didn't start from scratch here. Remember, they acquired RAV’s technology and programmers.

tD

20. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

sure they had some technology, but as a security program when all put together, its new.

i was never found of RAV myself, but either way ... having someones technology doesnt usually mean success, look at the countless flops of trying to implement a successfull engine.

21. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Couldn´t say it better :thumb:

22. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

One Care to ruin them all, One Care to find them,
    One Care to bring them all and in the money bind them
    In the Land of Redmond where the Shadow lie.

Mrk

23. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Probably one of the more clever and witty post I've seen in a long time. :cool:

24. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Thanks man. I was feeling seriously creative yesterday.
    Mrk

25. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

RTM light as a feather, even on old computers, good unpacking engine with a speedy on-demand scanner and the GUI I liked; detection over at av-test.org was always very good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.