Old PC On its way out

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by paddy666, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paddy666

paddy666 Registered Member

My old pc is in the final throws of life and I’ve bought a new one different spec, and wanting to know if it’s possible and HOW to take off everything from the old PC before it passes on (dummies guide).

Is it possible to take everything off and install it on a new machine most importantly software, as some of the software I have on their I’ve lost all the serials for them but I still want to use them can I do this?

The old PC has got windows xp operating system on it but I’m wanting to put Vista on the new on is this possible?

Thanks Very Much for your input.

Paddy

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

The need for the serial nos. limits your choices. But whatever you do eventually, at least make an Image (Backup) of the old drive while you can.

In order to Recover that Image to a new computer you will need the Workstation version of True Image with the optional addition of Universal Restore, together with the drivers for the new computer.

So after installing the Workstation software with the UR option, make the bootable Rescue cd. Boot with it and make the Image of the old drive. You didn't say if you have another drive to hold the Image. The easiest way is to use an external usb drive - you should also have the drivers for the new computer on this drive.

With the Image on an external drive, connect it to your new system, boot with the True Image cd and use the Recover feature to restore the Image to the new system. Be sure to choose UR when the option presents itself, and you will also get the option to add the drivers for the new system.

After you get the new system working with XP and all the software with missing serials, then think about upgrading to Vista. Actually I would think twice before going to Vista, if XP is working satisfactorily. The whys and wherefores of this is a whole other forum. LOL.

3. paddy666

Thanks for that, I do have a external USB drive.

When you say backup do you mean back up or "Clone Disk" what’s the difference?

I have also made copies of each (back up & Clone Disk) but I only have "Acronis True Image Home" so to install without serials I’ll need the Workstation version as well?

Thanks.

4. nb47

nb47 Registered Member

A backup is for the HD you're using now & clone would be for another physical HD .:cool:

5. DwnNdrty

The Backup feature makes a compressed Image of your drive. This Image can be stored on your usb drive.
    You can use the Clone feature to clone your system drive to your usb drive, but this will wipe out everything on the usb drive. The Clone feature is generally used when you're upgrading you system drive to a larger drive, or, as some people prefer, to have a "ready-to-go" drive in case the system drive suddenly goes south.

The Image, or Backup, has to go through the Recovery process in order to make the drive bootable like the original.

Look for any message by GroverH and at the bottom of the message he has several links that explains different "How To's" of True Image.

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  7. paddy666

Ok everything is going fine but I’ve got to a point where it says it’s missing drivers for "*NVRAIDBUS"o_O after a lot of looking I’m not sure but it thinks it’s for the motherboard?? the new machine is a Dell Dimension C521 and I’m not sure what drivers its needing or where to get them, if I skip the install of this driver I can’t us my usb mouse or keyboard and cant log into windows so I’m presuming this is the problem.

Please help I’m pulling my hair out.

8. paddy666

Anyone got any sugestions?

9. DwnNdrty

From the name of the file, it looks like something to do with Raid. Do you have a Raid configuration on your system?

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

11. paddy666

No i don't.

12. shieber

shieber Registered Member

This is not for certain but it very mnuch looks like it's looking for drivers for an Nvidia Chipset (norhtbridge and southbridge chips) that controls RAID. This would probably be what is commonly called the southbridge chip that controls data busssing on the mobo. If you do not have an Nvidia chipset on the mobo nor on any add-in drive controller card, then this is probalby an error and some other driver is needed -- the one for whatever southbridge chip you have.

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software
    '
    Missing drivers for NVRAIDBUS' error message means that you've not installed chipset drivers. Dell Dimension C521 using NVIDIA chipset, so this error message is valid.

You can download the appropriate chipset drivers from Dell website using this link.

Thank you.
    --
    Michael Levchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.