Oh dear "Static snapshot error"

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by sukarof, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

First I might add that I do abuse my windows Xp quite alot with different kind of installs of more or less obscure software, so it is no big surprise that sooner or later it will be too much for even Firstdefense.
    FDISR has managed to withstand everything I´ve done to my window for 4 years now, but now it seems it had enough.

First I get:
    The log:
    I updated a snapshot successfully a couple of days ago. This has happened between the good update and this update gone bad:

1. I have installed Virtualbox. (I´ve done that a couple of times in the past too without any problem)
    2. I have uninstalled Mamutu.
    3. I have installed and uninstalled "RunAsAdmin beta 2.0"

I am on a Limited user account if that has any relevance.

Something is obviously wrong with VSS coz I get this in Shadow protect 10 minutes earlier:
    But Shadow protect manage to create the incremental anyway :thumb: . (I know this isnt SP forum, I just provide the log for comparison.)

Is there anything I can do to repair VSS?
    I know I can easily revert to a good image with SP but before I do that it would be nice to know if there is anything else I can do.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

3. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I find the operation of VSS makes copy/update slower so I reverted to RSS.

4. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

"I am on a Limited user account if that has any relevance." Are you saying you have FDISR do a copy/update from within a limited user account status? I've never tried that. I run limited user as well but always switch over to admin to do a copy update. Do you use "runasadmin" to get FDISR in limited mode to function enough to do a copy/update?

5. sukarof

Thanks EA, I might try that. But I guess the easiest option would be to switch to RSS.
    What was the command for switching to RSS?

I know it is here at wilders somewhere but I dont have the imagination to combine the search words right coz either I dont get any hits or I get all the threads ever written here :)

Yes, thats what I am saying :) FDISR works just fine with the limited rights. No need to "runas"

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Same here.

I only use AND TRUST! RSS and never have any problems like that.

It's kind of like my Paragon Drive BackUp program, it gives you a choice of VSS or it's own HOT PROCESSING engine, needless to say, fancy just one guess which one i always pick.

Open RUN type cmd and press OK.

Enter first line below and press OK
    Then enter second line below and press OK

7. sukarof

Thanks Easter, this time I will write it down.

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

No problem, glad to help. :)

I done the same before so many times and found myself also in a forest of posts and wouldn't you know it, just can't seem to find the right post i need when i needed it, so i finally started copying guides and useful commands to my USB Pen Drives and My Documents folder so i don't waste time going crazy that way. :D

Good Luck! :thumb:

9. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Is there any reason to go for RSS,is it more solid,or .......

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hey fellows, referring to my problem here, https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=188896 , is there any chance that using VSS would have caused the blank, black, unbootable screen?

Also, refresh my memory, would switching FirstDefense to RSS affect the use of ShadowProtect negatively in any way?

I know that I switched to VSS because most of you guys had also switched.

Thanks,
    Acadia

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I've used both with Shadow Protect with no issues, assuming you are using the FDISR build where it was fixed. (don't ask me which build started the fix, I don't remember)

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thanks, Peter, I have version 3.20 build 202 which I believe is the most current version of FD.

Acadia

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

FDISR(VSS) and SP were fine in 202. 205 is the latest build.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.