Of Mouses and Men!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Prince_Serendip, Jun 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

Do any of you wear out your Mouse Pads in say two weeks or less? I've gone through over a dozen pads so far this year! :eek:

I found a new alternative. My tabletop has a nice grainy surface so I'm no longer using a pad. We will see how long the tabletop lasts (It's a dining table I've had for 15 years). :D

Perhaps, some of you could recommend some better pads? :)

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

PS,

..I'm still using a mouse pad I've got for free aprox. 2 years ago on this system - and believe me, it's heavily used :cool:

regards,

paul

3. zappa

zappa Registered Member

PS- you need to cut back on the coffee or cut way back on those hand strengtheners that you squeeze together or get a roller-ball mouse. I like em better as the mouse never moves and I can flick that ball and stop it on a dime.

I would rather have one lo those eye mouse mice where it's tied to your line of vision and you left blink to right click and right twitch your nose to left click and dip your head forward and nod ever so slightly to double click. Scrolling is the hard one while keeping your shoulders parallel to the ground you squat keeping your head level.

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

zappa,

You'e probably right here. I'm probably one of the fortunate ones never ever having any prob using the old fashioned mouse -even after using it for over 12 hours in a row ;).

regards.

paul

5. root

root Registered Member

I got tired of cleaning mouse balls, and bought an optical mouse when they first came out. I tossed the pad and bought a desktop inkblotter type mat from Wallyworld that works fine.
    I'm about to wear holes thru in a couple of spots though.

I just bought my wife one of the wireless optical meeses from Logitec. That is too cool. I want one now. :cool:

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I also use a Logitech "wheelmouse" on both computers, they are traditional style 2 button plus the scroll wheel which also is a 3rd button but they are digital and I use them on the table top. As long as yoru surface isn't too shiny, they work on just about anthing. You can use 'em pretty well on your leg while you sit if ya gotta. Metal filing cabinets and such give some trouble; I think because they are too reflective.

7. snowman

snowman Guest

guess ....like Paul...I am one of the lucky ones..have had the same pad for over two years an it has hardly any wear.....using it ten..twelve hours a day....with an older mouse.......payed $20 for the pad back then....
    to clean the mouse wheel I simply lightly wet a rag..place it flat over the pad then roll away.....works for me.....I have noticed that whenever I reformat until I can re-set a few settings the mouse has a mind of its own....I often thought I had a trojan....but none ever was detected.......very strange..

snowman

8. Prince_Serendip

:) Good to see you again snowman! Some very good suggestions here. I like the fact that I asked about pads and got suggestions about mouses. (Mice are 4-leg critters that go squeak!) I have a new mouse with 2-buttons and the wheel. But it's little rubber ball is hell on a mouse pad. I've tried high traction ones and they are worn smooth. That's why I put up this post. (I'm attracted to the optical, wireless mouses.) ;)

9. root

root Registered Member

You know for $50 the Logitec optical cordless wheel mouse is really a great buy. It should last until something comes along to replace the mouse as we know it.
    Like I said, mine is a M$ optical wheel mouse, not cordless, but it is really nice and I think it had a lifetime guarantee when I bought it.
    I'm glad I got away from mouse pads. They are limiting.

10. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Yeah Price ditch the mouse pads! Free yourself! Join the padless revolution! (sounds like a "freshness" commercial.. yuck.)

Anyway someone with the cordless Logitech.. How long before you gotta have batteries? I got the corded one because I imagined myself in an online tournament match (yes we take those seriously!) and taking aim and myu mouse running outta juice and my team being one guy short while I run for another.

11. controler

controler Guest

OOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOO

All I use the is cordless Logitech Optical and batteries last plenty long

Use Logitech's cordless keyboard also.. Well lest see ,, Are the signals encrypted o_O If not we need to ground our trailor homes

Did anyone mention Voice commands ?

IBM Via Voice

Would be nice to just be able toi just think it and have it happen..
    On a real good day I can do 4 finger typing and equaly with both hands he he

12. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

I use both a logitech cordless keyboard and the cordless optical wheel mouse. I can't say enough good things about it. (the mouse that is) Battery life is ok, maybe not great but if you use good duracell or energizer batteries you'll be ok for a while. The thing is, unlike other devices, the mouse stops working as soon as there is a very small drop in voltage. So the batteries are still good for TV remote controls after they are not good enough for the mouse anymore.

PS, I am not a big Logitech fan, but I love that mouse! Works with Linux too.

13. Prince_Serendip

:D Yes! I am now one of the padless generation! Thanks Detox! Made me LOL! I am seriously considering moving to the cordless optical mouse. Under a $100 is no sweat! Don't know about a cordless keyboard though. I have one of those Internet ready ones and I'm used to it.

Does the optical mouse require a particular colored surface? My table is chestnut brown.

(As for being padless, I like the freedom, but you gotta keep it clean!) :D

14. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

no, colour doesn't matter. There is one issue to consider and that is transparency. I had a mouse pad that had a transparent surface, with an opaque no-slip bottom. That part had holes in it, so when the mouse laser was over top of the hole, the laser had farther to travel to find an opaque surface than when it wasn't. In short the mouse would not work. So use something opaque as a mouse pad. Reflective surfaces like a mirror is also ok. In store demos quite often employ a mirrored surface but in no way is that necessary.

15. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hey Unicron is absolutely right, they use those damn mirrors so shiny must work fine... :-/

Well for some reason they don't work on an old black metal 2-drawer filing cabinet I have! I mean it does, but goes REALLY slow mostly. I put some paper on it and it works fine :)

Anyway my nice computer is on a computer desk and just a plain wooden surface and works perfectly for hard use and fast aiming in first person online shootin' games ;-)

I'm one of the best yaknow!

super-tox ! and his super-laser mousey weapon aimer thing!

16. FanJ

FanJ Guest

17. root

root Registered Member

Looks sharp, but a little steep in price. ;)

18. Prince_Serendip

:D The tabletop mouse "pad" is working just great! No more wasted movements (unless I run out of cord)! Tabletop is not wearing out. Whoopeeeee! I've joined the padless people! ;)

19. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Welcome welcome welcome! I told you that you would love it here with us! Besides, if we don't feel fresh, there's always a shower in the next room!

20. Prince_Serendip

:D Made me LOL! Thanks Detox! :D (BTW, how's the new item working out?) ;)

21. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I haven't gotten to it yet! Really busy with my wife having her Jeep rear ended by a city recycling truck and new classes, argh.. right now must run to get my allergy shot and grocery store before my 6 PM statistics in criminal justice class! I will let ya know soon though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.