OE and Pictures

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JerryM, Apr 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I recently got an email that had photos of dogs and children together. It was cute and I wanted to send it to a few people.

The message had been forwarded and had maybe 50 + recipients. I copied and pasted the photos, which were a part of the message (not attached) to a new email. The pictures pasted fine. However when I tried to send it the message said that the pictures could not be sent.

Is there some setting I should change? WXP Home SP2 and OE.

Jerry

2. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Copy it ( or them) to your desktop first..and then tell me what kind of image that it is..in other words what is the file extention..and also what size is it..you can get that info by right clicking on the graphic when it is on your desktop and then go to properties.

also when it is on your desk top then try from there to put it into a new email to send as an attachment.
    also you mentioned Pictures..so i gues there is more than one..but you might mnot be able to do that..and if you want to try it again..make sure your OE is set up to send out HTML type email and not just .txt type email..

even then..it is possible who ever sent it to you is using and email client that just ends up not being compatible the way it composes the email..with your OE..so that you would have to rebuilt it all your self to send it out that way.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Primrose,
    Size is 15.6KB, and file is !cid_X.MA1.1113674991@aol[1].

Does that make sense?

I did figure a way to send it without the addressees. I forwarded it to myself, and then got rid of the other addressees and then forwarded it. That just left the one who forwarded it to me.
    I will try and see if I can send as an attachment. (I could not open it either on desktop or as the attach on the trial email.)

But I often get the message that one or more of the pictures may not be sent.

Thanks for the help.

Jerry

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  4. Primrose

It make sense that the person who sent you that email is using an AOL email client and that enviorment is not exactly directly compatible with the OE email client. It is to recieve but thats about it. That is why I wonderedd what you would get if you right clicked on each image in the email you got and put them on the desktop just what you would get.

That way you would move it to the Windows enviorment and could see if you ended up with anything that could readily be displayed with your windows OS since AOL software had composed the email.

I doubt that !cid_X.MA1.1113674991@aol[1] at 15.6 kb even contained all the photo images since we all know pictures are usually larger themselves than that size.

So that was a good trick you did by sending it to yourself using your own OE as the editor to compose the message and photos since then you with your OE are sending it to another person ( this time yourself) who also has OE so you can then manipulate it.

Now try this..that email you sent yourself..try puting that on your desktop and see what size and type of file you now get.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Here is the information, I think.
    Fw_ kids & dogs.eml 176kb

I was able to open it and it opened with Outlook Express. Now I suppose I could send that as an att if desired. I'll send it to Hotmail. (It came through OK.) (To see the attach I had to download it to my desktop from Hotmail. I wonder why it would not open in the window at Hotmail as in OE?)

Thanks,
    Jerry

6. Primrose

I am thinking that since you put the .eml on your desktop and when you clicked it ..it then opened up in your OE to display it ( means as far as your OS set up is concerned OE is the Viewer for .eml type files)..then since you do your hotmail on the internet at their server and use your IE to get there.. is it possible your IE is not set up to be associated with an .eml file to view it.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Yes, I think that is the answer.
    Thanks,
    Jerry

8. Primrose

The .eml was a problem at one time..the OE is of course the default viewer for it.. and they had to even make some changes in IE I think after Nimda and some of those other badboys..

it went like thisNimda is the first virus known to alter existing Web sites to distribute itself to visitors to the sites. On infected Web servers, visitors will be prompted to download an Outlook Express .eml e-mail file that contains the worm as an attachment. Thus, computers running Windows 95, 98 or Millennium Edition operating systems can become infected and can participate in searching for and infecting additional vulnerable Web servers. This allows Nimda to reach intranet Web sites located behind firewalls, something worms such as Code Red couldn't directly do.

also

There was a PE_BRID.A - Nov. 4, 2002

The worm also searches the infected system for e-mail addresses in files with HTM extensions (Web pages). It uses these e-mail addresses, as well as those it finds in Outlook Express, to "spoof" the "From" field on its outgoing e-mails. In effect, it makes it appear as if the infected e-mail is coming from one of the e-mail addresses it found rather than the PC from which it truly is originating. The only way to determine the real origin of the infect e-mail is to study the full e-mail headers and identify the IP address from which the worm was sent.

On execution, the worm kills all instances of EXPLORER.EXE from memory, causing the Windows Start bar and Desktop icons to "disappear". It also creates a file called HELP.EML on the Desktop. Files with the extension .eml are handled by Microsoft Outlook Express. Doubleclicking the file opens it with Microsoft Outlook Express and displays:

Subject: (none)
    Body:
    Hello,
    Product Name: %Product Name%
    Product Id: %Product ID%
    Product Key: %Product Key%

Process List:
    ExploreWClass Exploring - _Virus
    IOWATCHPOLL IOMEGA WATCH

Thank you.
    Attachment: README.EXE

The variables used in the HELP.EML file (%Product Name%, %Product ID%, and %Product Key%) are obtained from the Registry Key:

HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

%Product Name% refers to the Windows product used by the infected machine. For example, on Windows 98 machines, the value is 'Microsoft Windows 98". This appears to be an effort by the authors of the worm to convince the user that the file applies to them and should be run. %Product ID% refers to the Windows product ID, and %Product Key% refers to the Windows product key.

The HELP.EML file contains the executable attachment registered as content type audio/x-wav. When the infected e-mail is viewed, the default application associated with audio files opens -- usually Windows Media Player. The embedded .EXE file cannot be viewed in Microsoft Outlook Express.

The virus then makes a copy of itself on the infected machine's desktop as EXPLORER.EXE. It also copies itself to the Windows System folder as REGEDIT.EXE and adds a Registry entry:

etc etc

But even in OE you can set it to not view .eml files if you want in the tools> secuirty attachments..or something like that.

and some times the ability for OE to view .eml can beak..then you can fix it..

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

EML File Association Fix (Restores defaults for EML files)

These threads at other forums are about AOL and .eml and then other people who had to deal with yahoo and its way of doing email to OE clients and the problems experienced..when they wanted to do similar things as you.

New to Outlook Express-can't read attachments

http://www.windowsforumz.com/IE6-Outlook-Express-read-attachments-ftopict351214.html

OUTLOOK EXPRESSo_Oo_O?

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/archive/index.php/t-26923.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.