Odd 'shield' behaviour on desktop icons.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Hello, I checked for an Apple update using the updater (I have it set to 'never auto update)'. I have it as a shortcut icon on my desktop. I also use SpywareBlaster & have that as a desktop icon as well. Both of these icons until today had a little coloured shield in front (& slightly to the right) of them (coloured red, green, blue & yellow). The same as the Security Centre shield. I am assuming it is for applications which are admin by default. For some reason the shields disappeared from in front of the Apple updater & SpywareBlaster. Everything seems to be working normally. I am running Vista Home Premium.

I had turned the UAC off earlier to customise the toolbar on K-Meleon but that was turned back on after about five or ten minutes or so. I am Admin on this computer & the only user. I have right-clicked on SpywareBlaster's icon & checked 'run as admin' in 'advanced' & the shield has returned.

I find that I can't do this with the Apple updater though. I cannot tick the check box.

The Apple Updater (unlike SpywareBlaster) has never ran as admin by default anyway & I just click on it to run it. I have run AV & anti-malware scans & a full SUPERAntiSpyware scan & everything is clean (not even a tracking cookie). All of my security settings seem normal.

I am fairly convinced this behaviour has been triggered by my turning off the UAC momentarily once or twice over the past couple of days as I have been customising the GUI on various default K-Meleon skins.

Has anyone else encountered a similar event?

Can anyone explain this please?

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

For anyone that's interested Microsoft got back to me on their forums & told me that it was probably me turning the UAC on & off a few times that altered the admin prompt. So I was right!

It doesn't explain why it labelled the Apple Updater with an admin prompt in the first place though does it? :blink:

What's the odds that they don't actually know? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.