Odd email from a 'colleague'!

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Daveski17, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I just checked my Yahoo! Mail & noticed I had an email from a work colleague. The opening sentence was "are you well?" (note the lack of a capital letter on the verbal auxiliary 'are'). The email then went on to extol the virtues of some health product based on *Acacia. I think there was a link as well, I didn't click obviously, but I deleted the email.

It's odd but I had been off work a fortnight ill with a virus & won't actually see my colleague until tomorrow, so this is a bit weird. It wasn't from him though. :eek:

I have scanned with MSE as a basic precaution. I don't know whether this is relevant but a bit earlier on I uninstalled MSE 2.0 to make a clean install. I couldn't have been without an AV for very long though. I had MSE bookmarked in Firefox.

*Link is to Wikipedia via Ask Jeeves.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I'm interested in your colleague's response!

Two scenarios come to mind:

1) he knew you were not well and wanted to recommend a remedy

2) his system has been compromised and scam email messages have been sent to everyone in his address book

regards,

-rich

3. Daveski17

My guess is it's the latter. He knows very little about Internet security & uses AVG!

4. Daveski17

OK, I found this in 'trash' (or 'rubbish as we say in my country) I was partially right about the opening line!

how have you been? I came across this Acai Berry stuff that is actually unbelievable! I've been feeling great since i've been taking it. finally discovered a way to lose weight that actually works and is actually healthy for you! check out this article about it if you want to read more about it and buy some ~ Snipped As Per TOS ~ You can purchase from that site for cheap! I showed it to a few friends already and they were thanking me earlier saying they lost 5lb in less than a week so I thought I would fill you in also ;-) The stuff is crazy. A lot of great information on that site but lemme know if you have any questions about it.

This is definitely spam!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2011
  5. Daveski17

I just checked that URL with Virus Total. It looks OK anyway.

~ VirusTotal Results URL Removed per Policy ~

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2011
  6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Just spam mail, happens to some of my friends emails too.
    It usually happen when they get infected with some sort of spam mail virus, same goes for Windows Live Messenger, when they click the spam links they get infected and even when they are off they send messages randomly :eek:

7. Daveski17

Yep! WOT clocks it as spam!

8. Daveski17

Sorry Admin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.