Odd behavior of NOD32 trial

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TalWolfe, Jul 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TalWolfe

TalWolfe Registered Member

On good recommendations, I tried the latest trial version of NOD32.
    The virus checker itself seems solid. NOD seems to use few system
    resources.

The 'odd behavior' part: It intermittently flags problems with boot
    sectors of various drives (that will put a shot of adrenaline in your
    morning). This doesn't always happen, but it's worked its way up
    from flagging one drive to flagging six.

The other thing that I believe is caused by NOD32 is a shutdown
    message about Drive A (floppy) not being ready. Windows shutdown
    looks like it's proceeding as always, but then a popup gives the message
    and hangs there with 'continue' 'retry' options.

There are some things that inspire confidence in software, and some
    things that don't. I told NOD about the boot sector errors a while
    ago and the reply wrote them off as 'problems with a boot manager.'
    Rather cryptic and somewhat dismissive. I'm not sure why the
    inconsistency either...they should be reported constantly if NOD32
    thinks there's a problem.

Anyway, I think the other contenders may be Kaspersky and Trend.
    Are there others to consider?

2. fosius

fosius Registered Member

Can I ask Moderators why has been this post moved to "other anti-virus software" forumo_O

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Sure you can ask. The question involves two categories. One, a statement about the trial version of NOD. The second, a question about what antivirus to use.
    Since the NOD forum is for support questions concerning NOD and not a forum for what antivirus should I use, it was moved.

4. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Lots, but it depends on what you are looking for in an AV!!

E-mail scanning, good unpacking ability, light footprint, good support, high detection of other malware, apart from viruses (/trojans/spyware/riskware).

Well worth trialing a few to see which one suits both you and your computer.

Worth considering any of these, these or these.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2005
  6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Off topic posts removed. Please continue with the thread topic discussion.

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Try Kaspersky. Top class antivirus. If it's too heavy,then try Dr.Web.

8. TalWolfe

I'm new here, so I didn't know about strict enforcement on this type of thing. The main query was in regard to NOD32 problems that I've encountered. One sentence at the end invited comments about NOD32 in relation to other AV's. I thought that would be all right. I trust that it will be OK to repost the paragraphs with the offending sentence removed.
    I'll be very careful from here on.

TW

9. TalWolfe

If they were comments on NOD32, then that's unfortunate, as that's precisely why I had posted in the NOD32 forum. I will repost my query, minus mention of any other AV program, in the NOD32 forum. Could you please add the removed comments back to that thread?

Thanks,
    TW

10. TalWolfe

Thanks to all for the comments. I'll explore the links. Since this thread has been moved, a few comments on my experience with other AV's:

I had taken a look at some AV bulletins, and it appeared that Kaspersky was very close to NOD32; maybe even complementary, as it seemed to catch different classes of viruses. I had run an online scan and it seemed very effective, though maybe less efficient than NOD32 in terms of CPU load.

Is Kaspersky better than NOD32 at looking into .Rar files and .zip files? NOD seems to fail completely with later versions of Rars, and with file series that start with .001 rather than the normal extension.

I have kept a small stash of virus samples that I've caught over the years, and I put them online when I do tests on AV programs. In general, it seemed that Kaspersky found more of the samples than NOD, but the sample range was certainly not extensive.

Interestingly, Trend's online scanner reported quite a few files that I hadn't seen before. These were mostly archived text files of programming mailing lists, where an occasional intruder drops an inline text message before he gets booted. I've always read these with a programmer's (straight ascii) text editor, so I've ignored the occasional burst of inline hex. Some of these did not appear dangerous, so maybe Trend was being overzealous.

I've never heard of Dr Web until this thread. I don't remember mention in the av bulletins or on mainstream XP newsgroups. Two endorsements here, so I'll check into that as well.

TW

11. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

No they were not comments having anything to do with NOD32 (or any other AV). They were totally off topic and thus removed permanently.

12. rothko

rothko Registered Member

actually one of the posts was mine and in it i suggested TalWolfe post the nod32 support issue over at the nod32 forum if he wanted to persue that course, which i see he has now done

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.