OA phoning home with invasive quips

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Becho, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

The only thing that pop up proves to me is that OA is hand made by folks like you and me. Not punched out of a cookie cutter like so many other apps. Although it wasn't a good idea. :p Move on.

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

When you're on top, everyone is gunnin' for you. :cool:

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Mike handled this issue honestly and promptly. As always, he is THE best at what he does. And OA is also superb. However, your post, criticizing those who made unfavorable comments is just exactly wrong.

There WAS a screw-up, so you're saying everyone should just zip their lips and turn a blind-eye? I was majorly inconvenienced by this silliness, so you are criticizing ME because I grumbled about it!

Mike's cool & effective response in the face of this issue serve to ENHANCE OA's reputation. Your attempt to rationalize the issue, coupled with your criticism of me and other posters, has exactly the OPPOSITE effect. :thumbd:

4. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

As always bellgamin, you took the words right out of my mouth. I couldn't have said it better myself. "Mike" always brings good news and I can't wait for his next "special delivery"...

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Bellgamin

First I hope I wasn't trying to rationalize it as much as pointing out things happen. Sometimes there is the attitude that things like this just shouldn't have happened. The reality is they do, and probably more often the we know. Does that excuse this, no, but it hopefully puts it more in perspective.

Also I hope that I wasn't criticizing you, I know you were inconvenienced. But sometimes it's easy to jump on the bandwagon of posting, and all I was trying to say was think a bit before posting.

Pete

6. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

Perhaps tallemu should waste time triple-checking the entire code for harmless messages rather than improving the product and fixing bugs :p :rolleyes: , while the black hats are looking for new ways to bypass security:ninja: .

7. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Guys,

I think this has gone a little too far. One of my programming team had a lapse of judgement and coded in a birthday message.

Was it stupid? Of course it was. Am I sorry that this happened - you bet.

I've publically apologised for this, and given you all my personal assurance that this will never happen again.

My team are (painfully) aware of the results of their actions and the person concerned is extremely embarassed and remorseful.

What it comes down to is this - Do I trust my team? The answer is that I do, and I accepted the apology of the person concerned and the assurance that this was a one off thing.

I understand that people can get concerned or worried by this and I don't by any means make light of the issue - but - we've dealt with this matter as best we can, and it's time to move on.

Mike

8. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

It was a sarcastic comment, I'm sorry if it was misunderstood. I agree that this issue is being overstated.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Thanks to all who shared their thoughts, whether they be good, bad or indifferent. Perhaps it is time to move on.

Bubba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.