OA Free or Outpost Pro?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by firzen771, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Yep, that's right!

2. Manny Carvalho

Manny Carvalho Registered Member

I've been a long time user of Outpost and I've never noticed any speed reduction when testing with and without OP installed. That's not to say that it hasn't happened to some people but it's usually due to their configuration rather than what OP is doing directly. Of course, any firewall is going to slow things down a little due to the extra process of filtering all traffic but as far as I'm concerned, from a user perspective, it's not noticeable.

I've no personal experience with p2p software other than Skype and it works fine for me. But again some people do experience problems which undoubtely would happen regardless of what firewall is installed.

The only way you'll be able to tell is to try it, which you can do for 30 days for free.

3. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

I don't think op slows down my internet speed. p2p works well too by default settings.

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

thx for everyones comments, i think ive come to my descision but still wuldnt mind hearing other's opinions. if anyone has the results from the last perfTCP and perfUDP tests on matousec i wuldnt mind seeing them. and thx for clearing up the fact that u dont HAVE to renew, thats good to know.

5. waters

waters Registered Member

I have paid OA and i am using outpost free.I use P2P all the time and much prefer Outpost.No Outpost free does not slow things down

6. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Is Online Armor thinking about offering a limited time Lifetime License offer like Outpost has done?

7. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

I had the same decision to make & I went with Online Armor. I like the HIPS the clear GUI the simplicity the ease of use. OA in the free version is just a firewall & conflicts with nothing. OP Disables most of its protection with Avire, Avast & NOD. So what AV are you guys using?

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Outpost's Anti-spyware protection can be turned back on whenever it shuts itself off:
    http://www.agnitum.com/support/kb/article.php?id=1000253&lang=en

I use NOD and was able to turn AS feature back on and so far (about one week) have had absolutely no problems. I do not know how this would work for Avira or Avast.

Acadia

9. firzen771

so u consider its AntiSpyware module and such to be "most of its protection" i guess u consider the HIPS or FIREWALL parts to just be secondary to that legendary AntiSpyware part of it... :rolleyes:

10. firzen771

testing Outpost pro on an low grade laptop (just for testing purposes before i put it on a real system) 768mb RAM, 1.6ghz processor, XP SP3, so far running smooth as silk with next to no browsing drag or system drag, like it so far.

11. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Of course,you're right but I think it's Agnitum Fault,adding so many features.It's confusing for most users,who think they are less protected while the beauty of outpost lies in in's superb firewall configuartion Imo,and very decent HIPS.It's suppossed to be an firewall after all,we're not talking about the suite i hope.

If you install outpost first than from what i know if u install other antivirus it would work ok.
    But even if not what features are disabled?Antispyware ,certainly not needed if u use other antivirus.
    Web Control ?i wouldn't say about this that it's not useful ,but if u are running Firefox it's about the same as using adblock plus and Noscript.

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

As you probably know, you are given the option to install the anti spyware feature during installation. If you're running a good AS like Superantispyware or Malwarebytes, you can omit the anti spyware feature.

13. firzen771

thats what i did. and i have yet to recieve a single alert yet, this program has very well configured presets for programs, i just allowed rule wizard at startup to allow my startup programs then turn it to block most and HIPS at advanced, not a single alert yet, very nice.

14. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Mike, can we expect this to be added in the near future?

15. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

Buy OA++

It NOT the job of any Firewall or HIPS to do same as a proper antivirus software.

16. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi mvdu,

We've never done lifetime licences, and at the moment we have no plans to do so.

When we look at companies like Diamond CS (lifetime licence, dead), Ghost Security (lifetime licence, dead) we can see a recurring theme. OA is not yet a mass market product, it's not "done" in that we plan to keep developing it for many years.

If we offered a lifetime licence then we're taking short term cash grab at the risk of damaging the product and the company longer term. Every month we have servers to pay for, developers to pay, Adrian to pay doing customer support. We might have one really good month on this offer, but then what about next year? People will still want support, bug fixes, new features, Win64 support and so on.

We have offered lifetime licences to some people who have helped us out a lot over the years, and I'd offer lifetime licences for example as prizes where the proceeds were donated to charity - but I think OA fits in a niche market and it doesnt make sense for us, if we want to be around in the long term.

If lifetime licences gave us the ability for example to make a quick couple of million, and then use that money to market OA more thoroughly and completely it may make sense - but I suspect that all it would really do for us is convert our current sales into lifetime sales. Our renewals on Online Armor are only $14.95 per year on a single seat licence, it's not really that expensive.

I'll never say never - we had no plans for example to do a free product for similar reasons many years ago - but I cannot see this as something that would happen for the forseeable future.

Mike

17. firzen771

when in any part of this thread did anyone even give the IMPRESSION that i dont have an AV or that i want Outpost FIREWALL alone to replace my AV...

18. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Overall i like Outpost, and the Pro version i feel is money well spent. I don't notice any performance hit when using it, and the granular control over every packet coming and going is great once you get the hand of the interface.

However the alerts are horrible, it's the one area i feel that severely lets it down and prevents making it perfect.

19. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Hi, Mike. Agnitum seems to be doing fine with lifetime license offers. What allows them to do it, then?

I would renew OA Pro anyway though at $14.95 if I get that startup delay worked out; you offer both firewall and HIPS for that amount which is good.

20. Manny Carvalho

Manny Carvalho Registered Member

Not to take away from an otherwise well writen post Mike but that little bit in bold above could have been left out. Your response was well thought out and you answered the question very well. However, without even mentioning Agnitum, you delivered a rather backhanded insult at it's marketing strategy.

I can make arguments to support either side of lifetime licenses and you are right that one should never say never. But the implication inherent in that statement I think is below you and one that you should stay away from. Absolutely state why you don't want to do something that's your right and, frankly, your obligation to explain to your customers. However, from your position as a vendor you have a greater obligation not to imply in a thread involving Outpost that it's development is done. I expect more from you in understanding the possible interpretations from your written words.

21. firzen771

lol Mike only mentioned companies that failed, what about Outpost? and SuperAntiSpyware? they both offer lifetime licenses and i know at least SAS is doing fine, since Outpost has begun doing this relativly recently while SAS has been doing it for a while now.

22. firzen771

ye thats the ONLY drawback i saw, the alerts are pretty unclear and open-ended, but i find the logging to be absolutely brilliant and perfectly clear and i really love that. just hope maybe in the next version they improve their alerts to make them more clear and precise about what is happening and why its alerting. and yes, im def going with Outpost Pro now, thx to everyone who responded, it really helped me make my descision.

EDIT:

got a quick question about an alert, im using a program, and when u press allow, it only remebers it for that session it seems, thers an option when u drop down the allow choice that says auto learn, does that turn auto learn on JUST for that application, or does it turn on auto learn for ALL programs?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.