OA Free Beta Build 60 Out

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Diver, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diver

Diver Registered Member

I concur with Stem.

Betas are a process. Not every build will work right or be better than the previous release. The inal will be released when it is ready.

2. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

I anxiously await the inal :)

3. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

As much as i'd like to try online armor, i've yet to encounter a build that doesn't exit when I right click on it's icon in the system tray :(

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You should go over to the OA forum, and post. Mike would probably fix you up with a logging version which would allow him to figure out what is going on and fix it.

Pete

5. Diver

Diver Registered Member

I'm in a small a town on the water on an island somewhere, no kidding.

Its better than inal.

6. Lundholm

Lundholm Registered Member

I don't think the term "beta" is open for discussion or redefinition as one sees fit.

A beta is something very close to final, and there is only a small number of these. If you want to understand this, look at the Firefox development process. With respect to OA, "beta" is just a way of pretending that the thing is more complete than it is.

As nobody here seems to know anything about software development, least of all Tallemu, I suggest you forget all about "beta" and just see what happens.

I have a feeling that Elvis will be back just in time to see the first stable OA.

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I find those remarks negative and uncalled for really.

There are few software developers who are as committed to their program and users as Tallmu is. To have reached the stage they are at now, and to have achieved such good results and feedback, says a lot.

However there are always people who will knock things.

By making the beta's so accessable to the public, has enabled them to build a program that reflects what the majority of users want, and has had the effect of involving the online community in bug feedbacks thus helping build the product.

Some companies just keep the bugs secret.

8. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Its quite incredible how many posters with nothing better to do are causing mischief for OA.

Its freeware guys,get it FREEWARE.

You are not entitled to make any demands whatsover,when this poor guy is busting himself to be as helpful as possible just to get you a free wall.

When he is good and ready he will no doubt announce the final.

If you want the right to moan-buy the shareware.

Believe it or not,he also has to earn a living,instead of mixing with timewasters on this forum.

Give him a fair go-some posters are nothing else than trolls!:mad:

9. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

No, you are not right.

Beta may have at least the two different targets:

1:) PoC target. This is to show some idea and get responce from the testers on either they like it or not, either they find it useful or not etc. Based on this responce a vendor can adjust initial strategy to satisfy more users.

2.) Efforts optimization. As you claim to be a developer, you should know, that complex software always has the bugs. 1-2 bugs per 10000 lines is regarded as very excellent result. To make software completely bugless you need to spend unreal efforts and the moment you achieve this bugless level your software is already deadfully outdated. So Beta is a way to share bugtesting efforts with those people who care of software they use and who care that software they use developed faster and the final result was better.

10. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

And like Elvis, the next stable version of OA will rock :D

11. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I am not a developer and can't write a single line of code, but i have been trying for fun the betas and there is a continuous improving, with the latest beta .62 running stable for me, except for a conflict with Sandboxie.

I give it much better chances than Elvis. If not for anything else, because Mike Nash listens to the bugs reported, while Elvis can't hear anyone anymore. :D

Just to clear my position (since we all know that not all people say what they say with no gain in mind), I am not an OA "fanboy", i have nothing to gain, i m not official (or unofficial for what matters) beta tester, i haven't any agreement with Mike Nash nor i hope to take a free license for it, i will be happy enough to be using the free version. I just say the things i see without trashing one product completely just to praise another one, as can be seen here:

http://forums.comodo.com/feedbackco...mor_2_vs_comodo_firewall_pro_3-t18280.15.html

My fav firewall, is a "dead one" right now, Kerio 2, from which nobody has to gain a single buck if i speak well of. I have been searching for his heir for years and OA has , for MY needs, the better chance right now.

Have faith, naming something "beta" doesn't mean anything. Other people sell products that can't update their signatures, just to give an example and they call that commercially ready version. The only issue is "Is OA improving"? I can honestly say yes. You can call it alpha, beta, gamma, delta, the fact is, it is getting more ready for prime release, day after day.

12. Peter2150

Lundholm

Since to my knowledge you have never even tried the program,(please correct me if wrong), and you excuse was extremely feeble(help files weren't up to date) you remarks clearly classify you as a troll. Everyone should treat them that way.

Pete

13. Lundholm

This is not the case. Most of what is posted about OA, is happy nonsense posted by fanboys like yourself.

This may lead inexperienced users to believe that OA is a fairly complete product, and install the thing, which may result in lost data or money. I don't want that to happen.

Security software (especially firewalls) is not for fun. Buggy software may be good enough for you, but it's not good enough for the inexperienced user, and FREE has absolutely no relevance here.

14. Peter2150

And your proof of such assertions...

15. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Lundholm

FYI, there are some people beta testing OA who have IMHO, a great amount of experience in all manner of security software applications and whose opinions are respected both here and at other such forums.

....and in my experience, none of them have to my knowledge been prone to remarks remotely resembling ''happy nonsense'' nor likely to test anything and add constructive feedback on such, if they didn't feel that the software merited their time and attention.

To repeat Peter's question, have you tried it or not ?

16. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Obviously some around don't know what a beta is, or what a gift OA free is.

17. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello Lundholm
    I would disagree.
    As with the amount of "beta builds", who is to say how many should be released and to what interval? I know there have been quite a number of builds since the last official release, but all these build are not addressing bugs, most are optimization (for such as for P2P software) and/or for compatibility problems reported.

As I have mentioned, Yes, I have been involved with beta testing OA firewall (when time permits) but I would be insulted if I was described as some "Fanboy", and I have certainly never been directly accused of posting "happy nonsense". I would think I was the direct opposite to this, as I look for bugs/problems with ANY firewall and report my findings openly, regardless of who the vendor is.

I am certainly no software coder, the last programming I was directly involved with was Z80(many years ago). But for my opinion, I would say development needs to go hand in hand with vendor and user. If a vendor listens to user feedback, fixes bugs reported, takes time to interact with the end user, then for me, this is good development (IMHO), and OA do that.

Is that an example of what you state as "happy nonsense"?

Regards,

18. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Go into OA forums and with each new beta comes more and more problems.

19. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

Trolls are best ignored. They feed off responses to their provocative postings, whatever subject the forum may have to cover.
    Constructive criticism from a knowledgeable person is, however welcome, I'm sure.

20. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

As far as most forums are concerned, most deal with solving problems and in that regard OA is no different, especially the beta forum for obvious reason.

...and each issue is addressed and worked on.

Have you read any of the product specific forums here at Wilders ?

21. Peter2150

This talk about beta's and OA, is pure trolling. OA is not at all unique. Look at Kaspersky. For 8.0 they are already at build 172 and still call it an alpha. I bet the builds once it hits beta will number in the several hundreds. And yes they all have bugs.

Dieselman, and Lundholm. If your comments about concern where to be taken seriously, you would go help find the bugs and help Mike Nash fix them, as Stem as done.

Since you clearly won't do that your comments can only be taken as TROLLING.

Pete

22. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

23. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Yes Peter and I already have but thats the problem. Each build brings new problems but I know Mike is working hard on things.

24. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Pete,
    I can agree with that.

If reported problems are not corrected by the vendor after a report (within a reasonable time), then yes, I will actually support any complaint against such a vendor.
    On the early bata`s, I found bugs, these where found because I looked for them, (not seen by casual user), but OA fixed them within the next build (not because I complained, but because I reported these).

To be very open, If my mother (who is now 81) was to start surfing, then I would have no problem with installing OA for her to use, actually, it is an application I would find preference for this, not because of its lacks (that I have put forward), but because of its use and current ability.

If I look long enough at any security software, I will always find a problem.

25. Lundholm

Hi Stem,

Your post is right to the point. Programming is not software development. Programming is only a small part of software development.

This mistake is no problem when made by the average joe, but when it is made by supposedly professional software vendors, things start to go south.

I can live with that. I have seen plenty of bad software projects, and I know how to handle them and avoid the meltdown.

You don't post happy nonsense, but today you were unusually far away from your normal turf.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.