O&O DiskImage and the easy way to get a WinPE

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Robin A., Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Yes it did not come with the WinPE when I also first used Macrium version 5. It will ask you to download WAIK before you get to create the WinPE. Have used this option here instead (pre-created),

xttp://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/229409-macrium-winpe-iso-download.html

2. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

The FREE version of Macrium Reflect requires the download of WAIK, a one time 1.7GB download to create the WinPE v3.0. The creation of WinPE is built in the FREE program.

The PAID version of Macrium Reflect comes with WinPE v3.1 already installed with the program and for this reason the PAID version of Macrium Reflect is about 187MB in size versus the FREE version of Macrium Reflect which is about 37MB in size.

Best regards,

3. aladdin

It is better for the FREE version to download the WIAK which can be used with other programs too, rather than use the above link. As and when the FREE version is updated, one can create the updated WinPE with it.

Also, no need to burn it on DVD/CD. It is better to use it in two ways:

1. As boot menu with EasyBCD like the PAID version.
    2. And, burn it with SARDU or xBoot to an USB.

DVDs and CDs are obsolete.

Best regards,

4. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Hi Dundertaker :)

I found that sevenforums ISO a month and a half ago, and it has been great to use. One needs to remember though, that it is x64 only, so one must be able to have supporting hardware, otherwise it is excellent and well made for the free version. Wolfgang did a great job, and it is version 5.0.4995 which was the last Macrium version that advised creating a new winpe disc as far as I am aware. This ISO also will perform cold imaging so it is a nice complete boot package.

Thanks for posting the link, this could help a lot of folks that may need something like this without downloading the WAIK. This ISO size I believe is around 175MB to download, and one must open a skydrive account to access the file. It has worked great though, very thoughtful of Wolfgang (whs) to make this.

Jim

5. aladdin

Hi Jim,

The latest Macrium Reflect WinPE ISO is version 5.1.5496, which is also the latest version of Macrium Reflect itself. Every time Macrium Reflect is updated one can create the WinPE ISO very easily from within the program itself, whether it is the FREE version or the PAID version of Macrium Reflect.

For the PAID version the base files of WIAK are given on purchase, which are for WinPE v3.1 along with the Macrium Reflect program. Then on, one can patch the program to the current version and then can create the latest WinPE ISO within the program.

For the FREE the same can be done from the program very easily too. Thought it requires 1.7GB, a one time download of WAIK for WinPE v3.0 and another 1GB, a one time download for WinPE v3.1.

However, the WAIK can be used to create WinPE ISO for other Imaging Programs and/or other Partition Programs.

Once the ISO is created it can be used two ways:

1. On boot menu with EasyBCD.
    2. To burn it on USB with either SARDU or xBoot.

P.S. Even though I have the PAID version of Macrium Reflect and been given the Wince v3.1 ISO along with the Program, I have downloaded both the WAIK 1.7GB for WinPE v3.0 and another 1GB for WinPE v3.1 to be used for other programs, like Image for Windows (IFW).

Best regards,

6. constantine76

constantine76 Registered Member

I have a license for O&O DiskImage 6 Pro and the email they sent me was with a "BuildPE download" of which was of 99234kb of which the actual app was 23mb(x32) / 25mb(x64). See image.

Never got to use it though (and probably will not) as I am happy with Acronis/Macrium/Paragon. Have tried EasyBCD inclusion before and I also have bootable usb sticks but keep a dvd burn for the WinPE disk(for Acronis/Macrium/Paragon). You never know..thibgs might get borky and one or two will fail..it might come in handy. A matter of preference really as users differ.

Thanks for the link there Dundertaker. Found also a nice addition to that Macrium ISO at that particular site. SIW2 (same guy who did a ParagonPE --great work!) has contributed how to integrate raid drivers. See reply #546 of htt://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/73828-imaging-free-macrium-55.html

Cheers!

Attached Files:

• oo.jpg
      oo.jpg
      File size:
      23.7 KB
      Views:
  7. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

8. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Hi Robin :)

What is your personal opinion of O&O disk image 7? I know you have used this and I respect your thoughts on it. They have always maintained a fair price for the features, and I am interested in how your expereince with it has been.

Thank you!

Jim

9. Robin A.

According to my experience, DI is reliable. I have used it mainly from the WinPE boot medium.

Frequent complaints are: it uses several services when installed in Windows, it takes too long to create differential images (because all the sectors are scanned, it may be different in the last version).

To this, I add that the GUI is simple but initially confusing, and DI is strictly a backup program --it doesn´t include any partitioning function.

I suggest you use it as a trial and browse the User´s Guide -- DI has some special features that are not present in other similar programs.

10. aladdin

Hi Jim,

It is crapware. I bought v5 and then upgraded to v6, because they promised it included WinPE. On purchase they gave a link for a Beta WinPE based on initial release of v6. As and when the v6 was upgraded, no upgrade to WinPE was provided, for example like Macrium Reflect. v6 moved from v6.0 to until v6.8, and still the same old Beta WinPE based on initial release of v6.

They advertise WinPE with v7, but if one looks closely, it requires the 1.7GB download of WAIK.

Crappy program with crappy support. I don't know why they are still in business.

Best regards,

11. rinem

rinem Registered Member

I tried to build the boot cd but it couldnt find the windows re. Im on Win8.

12. Robin A.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.