O&O Disk Image 7.2

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by treehouse786, Aug 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

hi guys, currently trying out O&O Disk Image 7 and so far find it to be quite a nice program.

there is however one thing i don't really understand and that is the 'empty region'.

why cant i create a 'used sectors' image of a full disk? why do i have to deselect the 'empty region' part of a disk to create a 'used sectors' backup?

also, is it not possible to create a FULL DISK image using the 'used sectors' backup like i could with Active@ Disk Image?

any info would be appreciated.

how is peoples experience with O&O 7?

Untitled.jpg

Capture.PNG

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

It seems rather obvious to me -- there aren´t used sectors in the empty (not-allocated) region.

DiskImage is "nice", but really not better than the standard programs (Macrium, Paragon, Terabyte), and I have found frequent glitches in it. And why does the website still lists version 7.0.98 as the latest, if the downloaded version is 7.2?

3. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

if that's the case then why does it not just image the 'used sectors' seeing as that is what i have selected? instead it just changes to the equivalent of a RAW disk image. active@ managed it fine.

would deselecting the 'empty region' and choosing 'used sectors' give me a full disk image. restore onto a new hard drive should be ok even though i deselected the 'empty region'?

4. Robin A.

I checked v. 7.1.93. When I select "Used sectors" image, the empty regions are automatically deselected. I had checked briefly this version previously, found some problems with the WinPE boot disk.

I couldn´t download 7.2. When I download from the website, I get 7.1.93. The main page still lists 7.0.98, and it´s not possible to download from it. Glitches.

You can send them an e-mail asking for support. When I have used it, they have always answered me.

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i have never had great luck with O&O honestly. it works it seems when it wants to and not other times. i have had it not run scheduled times, and for some ridiculous reason it takes LONGER most times to do a incremental then even a full backupo_O? i dont know. i own a lic and play around with it when new versions come out but i have never been able to switch to using it on a full time basis. ill go download 7.2 and see what happens.

6. andylau

andylau Registered Member

Honestly, Active@ Disk Image is better O&O DiskImage, therefore, you need not to waste time on it.:p

7. guest

guest Guest

Yes, You can.
    It is using FB feature on windows 8&GPT system disk combination, for special partition backup
    It will continue backup using "used sector" backup (for C drive). It is normal, Rdrive image also has same method.

We cant use "Active Disk image" with UEFIbios+GPT system partition, O&O DiskImage support UEFI+GPT system for backup/restore.
    I used Active Disk Image, i was happy with it. But when i upgrade my computer i leave it.

No need download, same situation for 7.2. Inc/Diff image speed really slow. Safe Erase another O&O software, it is also slow.

8. Robin A.

The problem with differential images has been discussed in these forums in the past. From DiskImage manual:

"Note:When creating an image of the changes, O&O*DiskImage compares each sector of the existing image with the corresponding sector of the (source) disk being imaged. This might require more time than a complete image. The image of the changes, however, takes up much less space than a complete image."

9. andylau

As active@ diskimage's boot disk is based on 32bits winpe, therefore, you cannot boot under uefi. How about putting active@ disk image x64 version on a 64bits winpe 4.0?

10. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Hi Andy,

How to do the above?

Best regards,

Mohamed

11. andylau

aladdin,

If you have a bootable WinPE 4.0 x64 that can boot from UEFI, simply, you can use imagex or dism to mount its wim image such as "boot.wim", and copying Active diskimage x64 files into the mounted folder. Then, writing unmount/committing the wim image.

There is a gui for dism -http://dismgui.codeplex.com-

This method is just the same as adding files to "winre.wim".

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  12. aladdin

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for such a nice tutorial.

Best regards,

Mohamed

13. andylau

Is it worked?

14. aladdin

Hi Andy,

I don't have UEFI computer, but it always nice to learn new things in life.

Best regards,

Mohamed

15. andylau

I don't have UEFI mainboard too.:oops:

16. aladdin

LOL! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.