O&O Defrag VS Diskeeper 9.0?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by notageek, Nov 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I tried PD and didn't like it. I tried VoptXP didn't like it. Now I want to know before I try O&O Defrag. Is it any good? Is it better than Diskeeper.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

notageek

I tried O&O sometime back. It's a good defrag program. Try it!

I couldn't say that it's better than others. A lot of that depends on what the user thinks.

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I had tried it a few years ago and found that it did a really good job getting everything compressed and lined up. There was once that I ended up with some data corruption, but that's a risk you take with any defrag software. I haven't tried it recently, but from my past experiences I do recommend it.

4. notageek

OK cool because I'm trialing DK and it seems not to want to want to satrt for me. I get an error saying there was another DK running. I'm getting tired of it. Plus when I did get it to work once, my firewall asked if I wanted to let DK to connect ot the internet. I did a little search on this and from what I seen is that DK don't connect the firewall just asked that.

5. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

I am using O&O Defrag currently. It's quite a good defrag tool in my opinion. It's clean, simple, and relatively light on resources. It does the job. I tried DK 8.0 sometime ago, and my feeling was that it's quite fancy and heavy on resources. So I prefer O&O. Well, it all depends on personal preferences.

When defrag, O&O Defrag needs to connect back [i.e. loopback] to the computer through net protocol. So the firewall will ask for the permission of such loopback. I believe what happens to DiskKeeper is the same.

6. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Another factor to consider is that with the latest DK version 9, Executive Software has decided to begin using TCP ports for internal program communication for some strange reason or another and this is begining to conflict with NOD and Sygate on some systems. Here is a link to the problem some users are having with NOD https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55789 it doesn't seem to be widespread as only a few users are reporting it so it may be related to a software combination instead of just a conflict with NOD or Sygate. I used to use DK8 but have recently switched to PD7 and couldn't be happier. Virus scans take about 8 mins less and generally the system seems much smoother and responsive but as ronjor mentioned sometimes defraggers are even more finnicky than AV programs, so try a few, you may find that your system will tell which one it prefers. I recommend using the entire 30 day period to evaluate a defragger as DK8 particularly seemed to take a week or so before my system benefitted from it.

7. notageek

Thanks. I got DK to work. I can't stand the fact that there has to be a service running all the time for DK. I'm not going to schedule a defrag. I do them manaully. Anyone know a batch file that will work with DK 9.0 that will run the service when you need it and stop the service when you don't.

I don't understand why DK would use the Loopback with DK 9.0. I wish there was a work around. When I'm done with DK I'm going to trial O&O.

Does anyone know if O&O have a boot defrag?

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

9. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

Every time I want to see DK's GUI, it errors - saying it's already running "can't run two instances" or no contact with engine. It's annoying to say the least. If set to automatic there is not way to view it, unless you shut it down and restart it - AFAIK

Maybe i'll try O&O - since PD won't work at all.

10. notageek

Thanks ronjor.

lynchknot, I get the same error message. I found a batch tha works the way I want it but I can't seem to get this darn thing to stop giving me this stupid error saying the same it says to you.

Here's the batch (made by me). Let me know if you think it needs work.

@title Diskeeper Manager
    @echo Running Diskeeper... Wait until it's done.
    @echo Starting Diskeeper
    @net start Diskeeper
    @sc config Diskeeper start= auto
    @"C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\Diskeeper.msc"
    @sc config Diskeeper start= demand
    @echo Stopping unnecessary service...
    @net stop Diskeeper

Remember to change the: @"C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\Diskeeper.msc"
    to where you have Diskkeeper installed. Like if you have it installed on F:\Programs files you have to change it to there.

11. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

Thanks notageek, i'll have to try that if I go back to DK. I'm trialing O&O right now and I like it! It has a PD type of "smart placement" set up - but it gives you 5 different types of placement to choose from - seems like a great feature.

12. notageek

You're welcome lynchknot. I don't think I'll go back and mess with DK. I'm going to stick with the free trial of O&O and might buy (well brother in law will buy it) after the trial. :)

13. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

In my opinion, Yes!

Much smaller, use minor recources than Diskeeper and have nice features ;)

14. SilentRunner

SilentRunner Registered Member

it was better ... if you try the new v8 of o&o you will be astonished, nice surface, but nothing changed at the engine, just from 6.5 to 8.0 without new features? The features which they call new are allready in zhe v6.5. Bad idea!

Last weekend I tried a new defrag it is called mst defrag, I think it is a good tool. Nothing to do, just install and ... fine.

Good performance after defrag works in the background.

15. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am useing diskeeper 7 free and it does an outstanding job, very fast.

16. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

In the last version some bugs was fixed and now I don't have some loops...

It seems more quickly and the GUI is better, so I recommend the upgrade...

17. AXIS

AXIS Registered Member

perfect disk is easy and safe iznt it
    i use it and it serve me very well

18. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I am running the current version of O&O after running v6 of the same software. I like the new version and it certainly can work fast although I do not let it run in the background. The only thing I don't like which is probably the same with the other defrag. software is the fact that it is always running as a service even though I use it manually.

My firewall has it listed also but I know that is to allow the full access not that O&O is going anywhere as such. I asked about the fact it is running continually but was told this was correct otherwise when I start the scanner it will be 'forcefully' rejected unless I remember to go back in and start the service - just wish there was a way within the software to set this as and when needed.

I do like the new feature for notebook computers and the way O&O can be set up for power etc DK was the fist 3rd party I used a few years ago but since I change to O&O I am happy to keep with this even though the stealth/space/full access etc are a little confusing when I am selecting what I would like done o_O

19. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

I am now trialing DK 9..........does not seem as good as O&O...........my question is, it is asking for that outbound DCOM connection to remote 127.0.0.1.................i have blocked it for now......................do i need to allow it ?

TIA

20. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

probably it is checking for other computers/hard disks on your network for defragging...MMC so to speak.

21. iwod

iwod Registered Member

isn't there a thread in poll section on this already?

22. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

@ Infinity.......OK...thanks......i'll keep it blocked :)

@ Yes, there is...............where...i did a quick search before post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.