NTFS and Wine

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by BoerenkoolMetWorst, Sep 4, 2016.

1. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I've never used Wine before and I'm trying to install an application, but the installer says it requires a NTFS partition. I've done a little searching and it seems it is possible to let installed applications access a NTFS drive/partition, but not to install an application on NTFS or let Wine emulate a NTFS partition. Just to check: Is this correct?

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Don't bother. Install Windows on a VB in Linux and run your Windows applications there. Much easier than trying to get them to run under WINE.

3. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

I don't think you need to create a DOS partition. I remember just installing Wine and that's it, Wine will create a few folders and some are called "Drive C", for example, in which programs are usually installed. Wine *should* emulate a DOS partition on that folder.

4. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

All of my systems multiboot so all my Linux installations see NTFS partitions. Ntfs support is excellent and I've never had an issue in Windows after writing to a NTFS shared partition in Linux.

While Wine itself is native Linux code, any Windows software you run will need to see a file system it can read and write to, whether a real volume on a partition or an emulated one in a folder.

5. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Just installed Wine, it's pretty much straight forward and doesn't require any configuration or NTFS partition.

6. BoerenkoolMetWorst

To clarify, I have installed Wine succesfully as well, but the Windows installer I'm trying to install in/through/with Wine complains it needs a NTFS file system.
    Looking in Wine, I don't see an option to emulate a NTFS partition.

And to clarify my situation more, I'm on Qubes and VB/VMware don't work properly with the Xen hypervisor. I can't use a Windows VM directly in Qubes because the program I want to use requires a Wibukey DRM USB dongle, and only USB mass storage devices or USB keyboard/mouse can be attached to the VM. In theory I could use PCI passthrough to connect the whole USB controller to the Windows VM, but PCI passthrough only works for paravirtualized VMs, not hardware virtualized. So I'm trying to get it working in a Linux VM which is paravirtualized.
    And now to make matters more complex :p, I can't reduce the size of the VMs partition from the inside(in order to create a new NTFS partition) as it is the active partition. When I try to attach a bootable ISO to the VM it says it isn't supported for this type of VM and giving the VM more disk space through the VM Manager automatically adds the disk space to the VM's main ext4 partition.

7. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

8. BoerenkoolMetWorst

@amarildojr Not trying to be rude, as I really appreciate the help, but I'd rather not say, as it might de-anonymize my account because it is a program with a very specific and small userbase.

9. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

If you install it in LVM, its easy enough to configure virtual hard disk space. In theory, Windows apps should run just fine in a Windows virtual environment inside Linux. Avoids all the limitations that come with WINE.

10. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

11. BoerenkoolMetWorst

I've solved this problem a while ago, but thought it was still worth posting the solution. Turns out it was quite easy: The Codemeter/Wibukey DRM dongle acts as a HID(Human Interface Device) device, which is why it was difficult to connect directly to a VM. But it turns out with Codemeter tools installed, you can use their tool in commandline to set the DRM dongle to act as a MSD(Mass Storage Device) instead. So now I can attach it to my Windows VM and it works perfectly :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.