NTFS 8.3-filename field cannot work after merging

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by hagic, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hagic

hagic Registered Member

NTFS 8.3-filename field cannot work after merging
    Using Acronis Disk Direct Server 10.0 under NTFSDOS, I’ve got a new NTFS partition(called Part C) after merging one NTFS partition(called Part A) to another NTFS(called Part B) without any abnormal tips.
    Then I returned to win2003, all files in new Part C seems good except that, I’ve found the MSDOS-Format 8dot3 filename cannot work with some of the files. Further I’ got that all files from original Part A(which worked well with 8dot3 before) was not accessible by 8dot3 filename, though all files from original Part B was.
    I’ve check all my registry settings related to NTFS, but non of them seems incorrect according to MSDN registry reference. I’m so confused. Maybe some info in Part A was missing(at lease 8dot3 field, I don’t know what further more field is) when merging.
    8dot3 accessibility is vital for OS program especially for some Microsoft-nature ones. What I can do is just replacing 8dot3 name in my registry with long filenames batch by batch poorly. But that can not fix the problem completely. Maybe there are other 8dot3 accessing ways Microsoft uses inside.
    Does anyone have good idea? Who can help me RECOVER the missing field? Or just REBUILD the missing as a not-so-bad choice.

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

hagic:

I have not heard of that problem before, so I don't have any specific insight on how to fix it.

However, one thing you could check is to see if the NTFS file permissions are correct after the merge. This may be especially relevant if you did the operation from the boot CD, which uses Linux and may not completely understand NTFS permissions.

Otherwise, if you have backups that were made before merging the two partitions you could restore to the pre-merge state. From there, try the operation without using the "Merge" function by first copying all of the files from one of the partitions to the other. When this has been done, delete the now-empty partition leaving uncommitted free space. Then resize the remaining partition to use all of the free space. Do the copy operations from Windows and the delete and resize operation from the boot CD. This method should be the safest way to do what you want.

3. hagic

hagic Registered Member

Hi,k0lo.Thanks a lot.
    Unfortunately I have made no backup at all.
    Is there any tools to rebuild 8dot3 filenames ? Or any programming API appropriate to rebuild them?

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

This may be the blind leading the blind, but Windows Server 2003 has a couple of available commands that look relevant:

fsutil behavior query disable8dot3 - should tell you whether creation of 8.3 filenames is disabled or not

fsutil file setshortname - allows you to specify an 8.3 short name for a file

More info here, but you'd probably be better off researching the fsutil command from a Microsoft Server 2003 manual or article.

If creation of 8.3 filenames is not disabled, can you copy the affected files off and then copy them back; will that regenerate the 8.3 names?

5. hagic

hagic Registered Member

thnks,i'll try

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

fsutil does work in a command box if using XPPro. You must have Admin permissions to run it.

Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.