NSA Boss Wants More Control Over the 'Net

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, Jul 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

I believe the title of this topic is misleading as General Keith Alexander is talking more for private enterprise and critical infrastructure (SCADA) systems to use the internet to reduce threats and help secure the country. I actually agree in theory with what is being proposed.

From a cybersec point of view those arenot bad ideas. An ability for organizations to create a giant mesh IDS to identify attacks is a good thing, also forcing organizations to go thin means more locked down controls of information and lowers the infection vector of organization IT assets. (It does have cons i.e "The magical cloud")

However all that being said as someone who has worked for the government I know these ideas will be blown up,convoluted, inefficient and 20 steps behind the latest threats. Then when the interface is not adopted due to the above reasons by companies, it will be forced under regulatory compliance mandates, where contractors and consultants will work with it for many years to come as the government continues to throw money at it...but I digress, I give them an A for effort.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.