NPF 2003 does not work after getting broadband.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mVPstar, May 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jvmorris

jvmorris Registered Member

Good point. And since the Ethernet adapter was added afterwards, that might also explain why his rule count nearly doubled, couldn't it? Furthermore, most of the rules that used to log (via the modem-based rule) only would be doing so because logging was explicitly turned on. (They were all PERMIT rules, as I recall.)

Let's see where is that setting? He needs to find where one can customize/edit/modify applications-based rules. Find the entry, say, for Internet Explorer. Select "Customize" to see the individual rules for Internet Explorer. (I think he should see at least seven or eight, shouldn't he? Indeed, if he's got more than that, then he has different rules for different adapters, in all likelihood.) Okay, he should have at least one rule for Internet Explorer HTTP. Select that rule and then click "Customize" or whatever it's labeled. I believe "Adapters" is accessible via a command button on the "Computers" tab if I recall correctly. And, if he's got the rule expressly covering the Internet adapter (or "All" adapters), then he needs to confirm that logging is enabled on that rule.

Good catch, guy.

2. mVPstar

mVPstar Registered Member

Yes, it does. It shows the network adapter of my ethernet card (the one that's connected to my router)

Hmmm, I think I know why the number of rules jumped so quickly and why there might be repeat rules. I recall, when I was trying to fix my firewall, that I had run program control to see if I could reset the firewall rules so that they would work for my new adapter. The new rules may have added on to the old ones, doubling the final amount of rules.

Also, I somehow don't think it was my routers fault for the problem because I had hooked it up long before I had gotten broadband and my firewall was operating fine at that time. I have a feeling it has to do with my technician reinstalling tcp/ip networking and that causing some kind of conflict with NPF.

Is there a way that I can maybe check what adapter NPF is watching and whether it is working via the registry values?

Last edited: May 16, 2004
  3. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

That is a possibility as well and not sure what may resolve it short of a reinstall. You mentioned earlier the tech shut down NPF. I trust you have checked the obvious settings to ensure it is starting up properly.

Unfortuantely since NIS2002 Pro and up, all registry entries are encrypted and there are no public utilities for checking settings. This makes troubleshooting in the later versions very difficult, you have to rely on available logs.

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.