Not responding

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Kentish, May 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kentish

Kentish Registered Member

I have Process Guard, and when I go to the program checksums and start to alter their permissions, I am able to change 1 permission then the page refreshes then hangs leaving process guard paralysed. If I exit PG, and then try to restart, the pc thinks about it then seems to "walk away" in the that PG doesnt open and the pc is as it was. The only way I can get PG to open is to do a complete shut down and reboot of my pc.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Kentish

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Kentish, Can you describe what programmes you were trying to alter please. In some instances it may be better to disable Process Guard to achieve your change but I am not sure about this.

3. Kentish

It would be any software that I dont use a lot that at the moment has "allow" as its permission and I just wanted to change to "allow once".

I dont think its related to the softwarehaving its permission changed as it happened every time so far this morning, which is about 8 times.

Just FYI some of the software were Agfa, A2, Avast updater,Corel draw etc.
    What they werent were programs running in the background, they were all on demand programs.

ps..I am running XP home, fully updated and patched.

4. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Just click on the entry, REMOVE it and then the next time you run it set the Allow Once characteristic.

5. Kentish

Your missing the point....its after PG refreshes itself after changeing
    a permission that PG hangs and doesnt respond.
    Changing a permission isnt an issue, PG hanging is.

6. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

I realize that. However, until the 'bug' is fixed, just remove the entries, that doesn't 'hang' the program. Then when you do want to run them, set the Run Once flag. I agree that the program shouldn't hang, but this is an easy way to get around the problem. I experienced it myself, but just once.

7. Kentish

I see what your saying, but I dont see how removing 8/9 programs from the list and perhaps more will stop PG hanging, as all I am doing is changing a setting within PG, not the program concerned.

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Kentish, OK, this may be a bug although I cannot reproduce it, we will have to await Jason's reply.
    So can you please state your Operating System details please.

Thanks Pilli

9. Kentish

XP home, fully updated to the latest.

Running on 2.5g Athlon,1 gig ram.

10. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Thanks Kentish, Hopefully Jason will respond soon, although this is a long weekend for many so it may not be until Tuesday. :)

11. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Kentish :D

Been following this thread with interest. When I first installed PG (a few weeks ago) and was learning I got a number of the 'Allow/Allow Once/etc.' decision wrong and very hapily changed them AND I had not set on ANY of the Global Protection options. Since then I have and so when I read your post I thought 'not happening to me' but I tried it and found that 'oh yes it is'. Strange! Could it be something to do with that sequence of events?

The good news is the PG is still protecting the PC and is only affected (as far as I can tell) in the sense that one cannot check what it is doing, etc.

Hopefully Jason will weave his magic very shortly. :oops:

Regards

Baldrick

12. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi,

This may be happening if you click REMOVE too quickly, while PG is still receiving information from the driver about the list - the list can sometimes take quite a while to populate.

The next version wont allow you to click another tab or do anything which could cause this hang up, UNTIL the driver has finished sending information.

Try it again more patiently and you should see there is no problem.. :)

13. Kentish

I wasnt clicking "remove" but adjusting permissions. However, you are correct Gavin.
    I was obviously being too quick for PG, because having taken your advise I allowed a little more time for PG to do its thing, and it all worked fine.

It was as the checksum list was rebuilding after auto refreshing that I was hitting a mouse button/scroller wheel to carry on with my adjustments but doing it before the list had fully rebuilt.

To be honest, I hadnt even considered that I was being too quick.

Thanks for you help

Kentish

14. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Great to hear that is the only problem ! We will just force a small wait before the driver accepts more info, Jason already has seen a bug similar which is why I knew that would be the problem :)

15. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Gavin :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply. I second Kentish on this one. In my case the reason I did not have the problem earlier is due the fact that in the early days of use there were not many checksums recorded. Obviously, with use the list gets longer and longer and therefore takes longer to load completely...........but my delay in trying to use the function does not extend comensurately. Good idea to include a forced wait however whould it no be safer to check whether or not the load is complete given that an avid user of the PC could have an extremely long list (just a thought). :)

Great support.......and great product. :D

Regards

Baldrick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.