not real sure where to put this

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bleucheeze21, Nov 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bleucheeze21

bleucheeze21 Registered Member

i have recently moved and am having trouble connecting my computer up to a new connection. it's an existing connection that is networked through a phone line dsl modem. there is a computer in the bedroom that is connected through a router, that is connected through the modem. i have tried using my connection and just plugging it into the router in which the other computer works absolutely fine on. mine not so. it does not recognize the connection and if it does will only stay online for about 2 minutes. but if i connect straight to the modem without using the router it works perfectly fine, but unfortunately there is no way to keep both systems running on the modem without some kind of add on hookup to the modem..... if this makes sense to anyone. what i need is to connect both computers and have them online and running perfectly at the same time.

any kind of help would be appreciated.

sincerely,
    BLEU

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

bleucheeze21

Sounds to me like your router is dropping your lease. What brand router is it and have you upgraded firmware recently?
    Since it works fine without the router, that is where I would look first.

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

You might like to try running Winsock XP Fix

OR

Step 1. Delete the corrupted registry keys

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.

3. In Registry Editor, locate the following keys, right-click each key, and then click Delete:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2

4. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

NOTE: Restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys. Doing so causes the Windows XP operating system to create new shell entries for those two keys. If you do not restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys, the next step does not work correctly.

Step 2. Install TCP/IP

1. Right-click the network connection, and then click Properties.

2. Click Install.

3. Click Protocol, and then click Add.

4. Click Have Disk.

5. Type C:\Windows\inf, and then click OK.

6. On the list of available protocols, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.

7. Restart the computer.

Hope this helps…

Lets us know how you go…

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.