Not Quite Bullet Proof Then!

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by kennyboy, Dec 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

I have started getting a request for CHKDSK to run at every Windows start-up no matter what snapshot I am in. I have 4 snapshots on the C: Drive, and it happens with every one.
    Strange thing is that Chkdsk is requesting to examine D: (Apps) and E: (Data) and NOT the C: Drive.
    Any suggestions? I have tried the registry fix of :-
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute
    but I dont have the BootExecute entry on my system.

Any Ideas please?

2. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

could it be that your disks have some corrupt sectors?

3. kennyboy

but how to fix it??

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Take a look;

Attached Files:

5. kennyboy

Thanks for the replies but I have done all that several times. Still the same.

Bear in mind I am getting this on the D and E drives only. Not the system drive!

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Why do you think it is caused by First Defense, which only protects the C drive.

7. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Could it be that somehow your disks are not marked clean at shutdown?

8. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

Ken, maybe this would be a good time, to have a secondary os installed on it's own small dedicated partition, then you could boot over into it, and from there disk check your drives. I hear you can do the same with bart pe and similar. Hopefully this problem turns out to be minor ;(

9. kennyboy

Peter, I didnt mean to imply that FDR was causing the problem. I mean that as it occurs in EVERY snapshot, then whatever it is (or was) is getting in BEFORE the FDR boot screen. The fact that the error was showing at the boot screen means that the problem was in the C: drive because that is what the comp boots from, even though it was reporting errors on D and E. (Or have I got that completely wrong)
    As I use FDR constantly to recover from my errors or adventurous nature, and it is amazing in what it does, it is not a cure all for EVERY computer problem.
    I have no idea what caused it, but I have fixed it now with the x/ parameter in chkdsk. Will still rely on FDR a great deal though. Incredible program.

chrome_sturmen. My setup is that the HD drive is partitioned in 3. One for C: with FDR and the snapshots, one for Apps and one for Data. I have 4 snapshots, one of which is a NEW Windows installation. It was interesting that the problem even occurred on this snapshot. Cant quite understand it as chkdsk reported NO bad sectors when I ran it on all the drives.
    I would dearly love to know where the problem lay as even FDR couldnt see it.
    Many thanks to all for the help.

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Okay, I misunderstood. Actually FDISR won't help a bit with hardware problems. Also note, if something on the disk is corrupting a file, then when you copy it to other snapshots it will be corrupt there also.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.