NoScript equivalent in Opera

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by aigle, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

To have no script equivalent of FF in Opera, I disable java script option from F12 menue.
    Do I need to disable Java as well as i think no script in FF disables both java and java script?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

noscript primarily disables javascript but it can also disable java, flash, and "other plugins".

3. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Opera could potentially be better than FF with NoScript because it allows for 3 independent whitelists for each site: JavaScript, Java, and all Plugins.
    NoScript only allows for 1 whitelist for each site all or nothing.

The problem is Opera hides this power in the Edit Site Preferences... Tabs.
    They need to reverse the visibility of the options in the F12 menu.
    Hide the Global JS, Java, Plugin options and put there the Edit Site Preference JS, Java, Plugin options.
    Then you could just disable global options, then press F12 and select what you need for the site to work.
    They could also do this with Buttons.
    The way it is now, there are too many clicks to be functional.
    Keyboard macros help, but it should really be easier to access.

4. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

Whilest I love the speed of Opera and the layout tends to be done very well to, I have issues with the "stealth adblocking" (as opposed to in your face adblock) and the lack of the option to use the "standard" browser shortcuts (eg. ALT-D to enter a URL). These little features make Opera slightly clunky for me even though it's performance is great.

I want to love Opera more.

Fairy

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

No, you don't need to disable the Java.
    Java and JavaScript are very different, and the Java name under the JavaScript does not mean that it has something of the Java language.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ok, but u see the image. Java is disabled by default in NoScript. So ...?

Also what is a ping ?

Any replies appreciated. Thanks

Attached Files:

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

NoScript have Java disable to also not permit the execution of Java applets on websites. It's an option, like you also have the option to disable Flash and other plugins...
    I think that it have Java disabled by default to restrict the access of some possible Java flaws that some versions have...
    You have more help on the plugin FAQ and you can ask that to the plugin author...

I don't know if the program refer to the ping on the network, but if it is you can see this description:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping

8. Devinco

It is the Anchor Ping attribute in an HTML anchor(link) tag.
    It is used as a new way to track links instead of the old redirect.

Java is supposed to be more dangerous than JavaScript, so going by that, you should disable it in Opera too.

9. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Thanks for the info ;)

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That is interesting. Thanks for the link. Very new information to me.
    BTW, do u have any idea how common is its usage and how to know if a site is using this method? BTW as I understands it concerns privacy more than security esp on legitimate sites.
    Now that is totally new for me.
    I found this from the link given by Vampiric Crow.

Attached Files:

11. Devinco

I haven't encountered it yet.
    In Opera you would have to view page source and search for ping. It will be an attribute contained within an <a> anchor tag.
    In FF, you can highlight a link right click and choose view selection source.

Maybe the new Sun Java is 100% secure and totally sandboxed so nothing bad can happen. I don't know for sure. All I know is that it is a programming language and is much more powerful than the scripting language JavaScript. Java applets can also be run outside of the browser context, JavaScript can not.
    I consider it active mobile code and I disable it except on trusted sites.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks for the info.

13. tlu

tlu Guest

Indeed. I'd like to add that blocked Java, Flash or other plugins can be temporarily allowed by clicking on the respective placeholder as shown on http://www.noscript.net/screenshots . I.E. it's not necessary to temporarily allow Javascript or to even include the website to the whitelist.

14. operafox

operafox Registered Member

Hi... The best way to go with Opera may be this:
    First, in Opera F12, choose to block everything, popups, javascript, java, cookies, plugins (among which Flash...) and so on.
    Second, when you encounter a site you trust which (for instance) asks for cookies, let's say it's wilderssecurity, you go to that site, and rightclick anywhere on the page. In the appearing menu, you then select "site preferences". You then select "cookies" and "accept cookies only for the site I visit", then "Scripting" and "enable javascript". That's all.

Each time you're gonna visit wilderssecurity, Opera is going to accept cookies from this speciific site and be able to read it (that's the reason for allowing javascript. At the same time, any other site would still be running under the more severe general options.

Try it.

If you need java on some site, then right click and so on, "content" and "enable java". If you need Flash, same thing and "enable plug ins". You need popups on some site but on no other? Same thing, right clik and so on, "general", and "block unwanted popups"... Get the idea?

Cheers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks for this post.
    BTW I just block java and java scripts.
    Disabling plugins interfer with my download manager integration with opera as I download from many sites that are new.
    Disabling cookies was interfering with some sites, so I decided to enable them globally as well.
    I feel java and java scrip are enough to be disabled, at least for me.

16. Coff

Coff Registered Member

Apologies if you already know this but you can drag the "Enable Java" and "Enable Javascript" dialogues to your toolbar - saves having to press F12.

Tools, Appearance, Buttons, Preferences - drag from there.

If you find the dialogues are taking up too much space on your toolbar, you can get shorter ones at http://operawiki.info/CustomButtons under the section "Quick Prefs Toggle Buttons".

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks for that.
    Infact I have added cookies, Javascript etc buttons on toolbar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.