Norton personal firewall 2004

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Kathyhl, Feb 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathyhl

Kathyhl Registered Member

First of all, congratulations on the 10,000 members ;).
    My sister should be joining soon, but in her absense while she's at work, I'd like to ask a question for her as I'e been trying to help her and alas have run out of suggestions. She has Win98 and has just installed NPF 2004. Since the installation she states her pc has been running slower than ever. She has SBC that she has found is not compatible with a few of her other programs, and now is wondering if that could be the cause, just another problem, or have nothing to do with it at all. I have to assume that NPF already had fairly good defaults she could have started with, so is there anything else that could be causing this that might jump out at someone? She has ample room on her PC, has done a scandisc and defrag, Norton cleansweep, and cleaned out other areas, so the room is not the problem. Thank you for any help you can give.

This site is fantastic, you have helped me so much, and I've downloaded and bought quite a few good programs that I heard about on here.

Kathy :)

2. subratam

subratam Registered Member

Hey Kathy,

Norton has always been a culprit in slowing machines and no difference in NPF

check this http://www.pcbuyreview.com/Norton_Personal_Firewall_2004_B0000C8Y0S.html

oh, I do think its Norton making your computer as slow as it is, its always nice to have Hijack log reviewed by experts to be 101% sure... but.. yes again for me its Norton..

thx

3. Kathyhl

Thank you so much for your reply Subratam, and most thanks for the URL, I will send it on to my sister, and also check it out for myself. You can never have enough knowledge! :)

Thanks again,

Kathy

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

5. Kathyhl

Thank you very much CrazyM, that will probably make my sister feel better about her purchase, however if we can't get her pc running back up to norm for her, she's pretty much ready to just cut her losses and look for something else.

I know there's pros and cons to everything, I just hope there's something we might be overlooking so she doesn't have to lose anything.

Again, thank you for your help.

Kathy

6. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

This is sort of a desparation tactic, and depends on your sister and her computer usage habits, however, if she is not online much maybe she should opt to start the firewall manually instead of with windows.

If she wants she could manually check for updates as well. That way she is not running things that she is not using.

Of course if she has an always on connection there is risk. even when you are not online the connection is still there. If that is the case (this is never a bad idea) turn the power off to the modem when not in use. I try remember to cut my cable modems power when not in use, and I do have my firewall start with windows. Good luck!

-Handsoff

7. Kathyhl

Thank you very much for your reply HandsOff, and yes she does have a connection on all the time, and I know she wouldn't want to do it manually, but I'm glad to know that's an option! Anyway, she finally went out and bought more memory, removed her NPF2004, and put ZA back on. Even with the extra memory, Norton wasn't letting her back up to speed, so unless she can find a way to contact them and request her $50 back, she's just going to cut her losses. She e-mailed me this morning to tell me how much she is "flying" through cyberspace now with the extra memory and ZA back, so it appears NPF2004 just wasn't going to work on her machine. We both have Nortons System works/Antivirus program and love it, but maybe the firewall was just a bit much on her pc.

Again, thanks so much for your help.

Kathy

8. subratam

subratam Registered Member

a good and intelligent choice... ZA will let her be more smooth in working.

take care

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.