Norton Internet Security, Antivirus and 360 Being Retired?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Raza0007, Sep 19, 2014.

1. wiwul

wiwul Registered Member

I have been using Kaspesky for many years, maybe 8 or so. Last year I changed to a fiber connection, getting significantly higher speeds. I have been puzzling for months(!) as to why my download speeds were so crap. Using two pc's, using different Windows versions (7, and XP), updating drivers, changing networkcard settings, connecting directly to the modem (instead of the router), setting speedtest sites as trusted web sites, using Chrome, Opera, IE and Firefox, etc.

All without results.
    A friend connected his laptop to the modem and his download was about 105% of the promised speed, in a straight line. No tweaks, nothing.

I switched to Norton and problems were solved! Really amazing.

Installed KIS 2015 yesterday, here are the results.
    Restored Norton - speeds are perfect, about 20-25Mbit/s higher than my 400/400-subscription.

=

Speedtests-KIS vs NIS-06112014 123558 - Copy.png

=

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

We probably should not drag this thread into a Norton vs Kaspersky debate, but to address the speed test post, Kaspersky uses a local proxy, so you will never get an accurate number from doing that. Most of the top tier vendors will give good enough speeds in actual usage unless it just doesn't like something about your machine, in which case you keep the product that works best for you. Speed is definitely not a complaint I have where Norton is concerned. But that may be untrue on someone else's machine.

-Whoops, added the word "not"...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  3. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

This brings up a good point. Many AV scanners use proxy scanning, which can 'skew' speed tests. The options are Flow-Through, and Proxy. If you want better inspection, archive inspection, you use proxy, which then tosses speed tests into the wind in many cases. Kaspersky UTM uses proxy scanning. If I want a real speed analysis I toss a DMZ on a port and test it, or policy exclude speedtest.net for example. So let's not bag on Kaspersky too much here without understanding some of the technology involved.

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

suposedly he got some answers regarding the activation i will be calling him when i get home tonight to discuss what he found out. ill post once i have details

5. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

The official answer from Tony, Norton Admin about when activation time begins:

Hi everyone, a lot of great discussion here, and thanks to those who have jumped in to help shed some light on this issue. There seems to be some confusion on the codes listed on the product. Here's the scoop:
    The product will have a few codes on it. One is the visible barcode, used by the seller. The seller uses this code to communicate to Symantec that the product has been properly purchased. The subscription does NOT begin when the seller enters the visible barcode. The visible barcode is NOT the activation key.
    Once enabled, the purchaser can use the activation key to start the product subscription. The subscription period begins after the purchaser installs the Norton product on their device AND enters the activation key into the product. The subscription begins when the activation key is used on the installed Norton product.
    I hope that clears things up. Sorry for the delay.

https://community.norton.com/comment/6027651#comment-6027651

6. zfactor

after a long conversation with him i came to post this info but protruckdriver posted first. i can confirm ^^^ is the same thing my contact at newegg was told except he asked also about digital downloads those also begin upon installation not when you buy it. BUT... IF YOU BUY FROM BEST BUY i was told by a regional manager i know that the product is activated at the register and does start counting down days im awaiting an official answer on this as well but i know best buy also does this with most of their av's i know for fact this is the way it works with their version of kaseprsky 100%.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  7. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Re the activation/sale of Norton,it just shows how many sheep are here,one or two folk claim they know 100% its activated at point of sale and others confirm that this is true!Its a bit like how originally some folk complained about purchase price to users of previous products without finding out from Norton whether any discount was on offer to them and other sheep,sorry members,confirmed that there was no discount on offer,they also had not bothered to find out in reality.As for the many "software developers" on here claiming Norton deletes new files,it is standard practice initially to use stand alone PCs that have no threat of having any infection to run initial tests/development,these have no need for any anti malware product being installed,which by the nature of the way most embed so deep in the OS can make any data for new software spurious,only once the alpha or beta products are developed should they be exposed to an hostile environment,that is one containing possible conflicting software and or anti malware programs

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  8. chillstream

chillstream Registered Member

Try using a period every once in a while.

9. steve1955

meaning??

10. chillstream

Meaning you wrote a single 155 words long sentence. It's unreadable and incomprehensible.

11. steve1955

Sorry for not punctuating it to your standards,but but thought this was a security forum not one for debating correct use of that?I will go back and make it readable for folk of lower IQs then,so you can read and comprehend it! sad you bothered to count the number of words though,must be boring in your world!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  12. chillstream

Thanks, it's appreciated.

13. steve1955

sorry for being slightly off hand,didn't realise where you came from and English is probably not your 1st language

14. zfactor

btw who confirmed it was activated at purchase? as far as i can read we confirmed it was NOT activated at purchase only at best buy does it come pre activated. so not sure what you were reading?

15. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I admit I hated Norton. I banned it from my life from 2001 to 2014. I deal with thousands of Symantec Enterprise machines, and learned to respect it provided it is deployed with best practice standards, and if the situation merits, aggressive settings. My change of heart came when I saw them peel off a lot of the enterprise stuff I know works, and tossed it into the consumer version, trimmed down a bloated product line, and enhanced the cloud/reputation backend. The final catalyst for me was how utterly invisible it is on a system, and the fact I've been unable to infect a DMZ'd machine with Norton on it after several weeks of trying.

16. steve1955

17. zfactor

18. steve1955

19. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Good news then.

20. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I agree that rumors sometimes get passed as fact, but the original concern about the license activation was legitimate. Even the clerks in the stores were reported to be giving out conflicting information. Apparently Best Buy does activate licenses at purchase (see post #431) so it was not unreasonable to think that Walmart might be doing the same thing. When in doubt "Caveat Emptor"

21. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Thank you. :thumb:

22. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! Just some additional input...I recently purchased Norton Security from Staples Canada...when I was sent the License Key...it wasn't until the Product was installed did Norton Actually Update itself, and Confirm Activation. Sincerely...Securon

23. steve1955

the info about best buy is also spurious,the only info relating to the sale of norton from vendors other than norton direct is to inform norton that that copy has been bought and not pirated,its not to activate it

24. zfactor

this is what best buy has done for a while now. i can state for a FACT 100% they do this with kaspersky (a client of mine well they are now a client because the geek squad tried to rip them off but thats another story, bought a kaspersky because her's was going to expire in about a month from best buy and when we activated it for her the time had already counted down from day one she lost 37 days). and also the whole webroot debacle that happened also proved they had to activate those at the register this came right from joe's own mouth when the thousands were for sale on ebay. you also have to watch because best buy also sets you up with auto renewal on just about every av they sell and you have to make sure to cancel it or you WILL be charged the full renewal cost for it. i have seen it with my own eyes. and they also do this with a few other av's 100% again i have seen them pre activated.

for norton i was told by a regional best buy manager who specifically looked into this for me that their norton works the same way. he also told me they no longer sell norton at all on their web site and will soon not carry it in store either. so its a moot point soon anyway (i wonder why best buy dropped norton....hmmmm)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  25. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Nobody buys AV's at Best Buy anyway. In fact, retail software sales is long dead. Moot point.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.