Norton Internet Security 2008 Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by midway40, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

2. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

I already installed NIS 2008 beta 3 days, looks great and works without bugs. I am sure when final realase will be made I will install it. :)

3. Crappopotamus

Crappopotamus Registered Member

Just what I was waiting for... bye-bye kaspersky 7/Unistal OEM v6 key issue :thumb:

4. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

Hi,

I thinking to try it on my business laptop.

is it safe enough to use on my business machine ?

how is speed and protection too ?

5. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

According to Symantec it is not advisable.

6. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

Hi,

I need users view, not symantec suggestion :p

7. midway40

Really not that much posted in the beta forum yet to gauge from (looks like it is only two days old). Someone did mention that his system ran faster than '07 but can't really go by that as you get different results with different systems.

I will be able to tell you more in around 8 hours, lol.

8. Netherlands

Netherlands Registered Member

Can anyone post the innovations they put into this version. Or does it has a new GUI only? :D

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

if you look at the screenshots i posted,

you will see some added features,

but i also expect them to 'improve' the other normal features as they tend to do every year.

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

For product machines , this rule is always true :

Bugs
    Exist
    Try
    Another

No matter who confirms or not :thumb:

11. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Ok, YOU be the user. Try it and let us know how things work out. Then we'll have the users view :p

12. ASpace

ASpace Guest

:D :D :D :D :D

13. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

New Features
    * Norton Identity Safe keeps your personal information and your identity safe when you buy, bank and browse online.
    * SONAR (Symantec™ Online Network for Advanced Response) technology delivers behavior-based protection that can detect emerging spyware and viruses even before traditional signature-based definitions are available.
    * Stores and encrypts your passwords and other confidential data, automatically filling it at your request to save time and protect it from being stolen by eavesdropping keystroke loggers.
    * Network security monitoring checks the status of your wireless network security, maps connected devices, and provides expert advice on managing your network security settings.

14. midway40

I guess everyone is familiar with the old adage "The third time's the charm". Well I have just went through 3 installs of NIS '08 in 2 1/2 hours, lol.

I removed NIS '07, rebooted, and then installed '08. Install went fine but when I went through the Live Update process I was getting some kind of error message that took place during the "Downloading Updates" process. I then went through a 15 minute error reporting deal. Auto Protect would not come on as long as the Live Update process was screwing up.

So I uninstalled '08, ran the Norton Removal Tool, CCleaner and manually deleted some left over directories. I tried the install again this time getting an error during the Norton Confidential install. Not wanting to wait another 15 minutes, I canceled the error reporting and some time afterwards Norton told me that there was an error in the install so it needed to reboot.

I rebooted which started the install process over again. This time no problems cropped up. Live Update did work this time around so I was able to update thus Auto Protect was activated.

Haven't played with it much yet but have a few observations. On the con side when I bring up the Network Security Map it tells me that I am not online. Another thing is that Vista does not see Norton's Firewall and AntiSpyware. I told SecCenter not to inform me of this fact and I hid the "red shield" in the systray for the time being. I do know the firewall is working as it told me it blocked a port scan a while ago.

Pros so far observed are more configuration options and it does feel somewhat snappier than '07. I do like the new look which goes well with Vista.

I will post more observations as I go along.

15. midway40

Vista identifies 4 processes belonging to Symantec ('07 has five):

AluSchedulerSvc.exe----608k
    ccSvcHist.exe---------4264k (actually as I watched this process, it varied between 2200k and 5300K)
    ccSvcHist.exe---------1196k (there are two instances of this process running)
    symlcsvc.exe-----------204k

At least this is looking good so far :)

16. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

I am having a smooth ride so far with this beta. No problems observed yet! I have to agree this beta is definately a improvement from 2007 version.

17. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

One of the reasons this beta might be little faster for browsing because of this feature below.
    I would be interested if anybody can find where does it store this cache memory.

sfsfsfsfsf.jpg
    Untitleddd.jpg

18. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

I have one question.
    Doas NAV or NIS 2008 contains Norton Anti-Bot functionallitys or NAB offers diferent kind protection? I mean doas Norton 2008 have same behavior analyse functions or not?

19. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

No, they don't contain anti-bot functionality. But it is planned to integrate in the future.

20. midway40

Sadly, I had to revert back to '07. There is something on my computer that NIS '08 doesn't get along with :( I wish I had a spare computer so I could do a fresh OS install then install NIS '08. Then on subsequent software installs I could pinpoint what was causing the problem. Besides, it only gives you 30 days which really isn't that long to test a suite. When I used to test Trend Micro betas they were in effect until the new suite went final.

I really liked what I saw during that time though. It appears that it will even be lighter than '07.

21. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

You mean it will integrated in NIS 2008 final version? Where did you find this information?

22. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

Yes, I mean this. Beta director told me this info.

23. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

i think antibot will be a part of NIS-08...........owing to work i haven't been able to beta-test any product this time......but since i own nis'07 i am interested in how nis'08 is shaping-up....
    from what i have read here and in many forums...........that beta is working well....what i wanted to know is whether any interface changes have been since we first pics here at wilders..........from et-1 i presume...

24. theshadow247

theshadow247 Registered Member

has enyone had a problem with nis installer.i tryed three times and got the same message.setup cannot be installed because there was a problem authenticating your microsoft windows installer.o_O

25. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

Did you have Microsoft Updates enabled?

PS:Your avatar is about real story :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.