Norton Internet Security 2008 15.5.0.23

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tsilo, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Larry, use firefox and go here http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/support/special/upgrade2007/vista/select_product.jsp?site=nuc
    Then use the instructions at the site. You have to install NIS again to get the full version upgrade.

Cheers

2. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

3. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Zombini, JimGoo, and JasSolo: to clarify, are you now running version 15.5.0.23 of Norton Internet Security 2008 on Windows XP or Windows Vista?

Larryb52, please post a note on this thread to let us all know if NIS081550.exe does indeed install version 15.5.0.23 of NIS08 – and, whether you are running Windows XP or Vista. Additionally, please advise on whether or not the Norton Removal Tool needs to be used prior to executing NIS081550.exe.

Thank you.

4. larryb52

I'm not home yet but yes I would use the removal tool 1st & I'm running Vista with Sp1

5. JimGoo

JimGoo Guest

Hello Pleonasm,

I'm running NIS 2008 15.5.0.23 on Vista Ultimate with SP1 installed.

Regards,
    Jim

6. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Pleonasm, I'm not running NIS at the moment, BUT I'm 100% sure, that you can install 15.5.0.23 on both XP and Vista. And no, you shouldn't use Norton Removal tool, just install on top of your version now. Yes, Norton WILL uninstall your version now and then reinstall with your settings intact. I've done this a few times without any hiccups.

Cheers

7. larryb52

I tried it but it needs more ram now for some reason & doesn't feel as light, uninstalled it, since it is a fix don't feel secure going back to the old version...not sure what the difference is...

8. ldupuy

ldupuy Registered Member

Just to let you know, I have reinstalled NIS 2008 and the current build is apparently 15.0.0.60 and is working like a charm on my XP Home. No instances with errors after LU either! Along these same lines, I'd be most interested and any input regarding their new AntiBot.

I would like to interject that their tech support is awesome, which I don't think has been the case in the past. I had reinstalled AntiBot and was really havin' problems with it. Tech Support went remote and got rid of registry entries, uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted .... everything went without a hitch and when all was said and done, it installed flawlessly. The problem I had was that it wouldn't update nor accept the customer ID #; but they fixed that and then some. I was very impressed! Never thought I'd ever say that about a Norton product ever again, but they must have really changed / improved things. ;)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  9. larryb52

I reinstalled the new version & I used Regsupreme to clean up & now it's running fine. I'm glad I tried again. I like Norton & I too have had good customer support. I used the live support from the main screen help & they helped with the registry as well. That was a previous install. Looks good now...

10. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

I successfully upgraded my Windows Vista Business SP1 system from Norton Internet Security version 15.0.0.60 to 15.5.0.23 using the following procedure:
    (A) Create an image backup, using ShadowProtect Desktop 3.1, as a safety precaution
    (B) Download the NIS081550.exe file from the Symantec website
    (C) Download the Norton Removal Tool from the Symantec website
    (D) Unplug the Internet (DSL) connection, so as to prevent any malware from communicating with the PC during the NIS upgrade
    (E) Run the Norton Removal Tool, to uninstall and delete traces of NIS08 15.0.0.60; and reboot the PC
    (F) Install NIS08 15.5.0.23 using the NIS081550.exe file; and reboot the PC
    (G) Plug-in the Internet (DSL) connection
    (H) Activate NIS08 15.5.0.23
    (I) Run LiveUpdate​

NIS08 15.5.0.23 appears to work just fine!

P.S.: Kudos to Larryb52 for his assistance!

11. larryb52

glad it's working well & your enjoying it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.