Norton AV 2006

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by maddawgz, Oct 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I tried the 2006nav beta. It runs about like my NIS 2005, I also have TMIS 2005 (have not tried 2006) and Nav runs faster and lighter on my computer than Trend. And Nav will absolutley give you better protection than Trend. I state this from personal testing and use of both products. Others might have a somewhat different result but I would imagine that the end result would be the same. I usually don't recommend an av but instead just give my experience with a particular av but in this case I would not hesitate to say that Nav internet security or just Nav av is going to be hard to beat for ease of use and detection rates. I have a full version of NIS 2006 already ordered and it should ship to me this month and I will post my thoughts on the final releade after I have tried it. And as a last thought The product activation Norton requires is so very simple and easy to do that I don't know what the complaints I have read about could be pertaining to.

3. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I disagree with your assessment of Norton. I don't find it the easiest (even the install takes a while) or not able to be beaten in detection rates. Just thought I'd provide a contrasting opinion.

But yes, I think NAV 2006 looks to be a better bet than Trend.

4. bigc73542

Without contrasting opinions there would be a lack of information presented. And as far as detectionn rates go if you trust AV-comparatives nav has better detection than nod and mcafee and almost the same as Kav. that is pretty consistant results from VB, checkmark also. And I will agree it does take a little longer to install Nav but you only have to do it one time and since install it runs flawless. and they have fixed liveupdate to where it couldn't work much better . I don't like the amount of time it takes for the nav icon to show in the task bar but the realtime protection initiates at boot start so it is protecting even until the icon appears.

5. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

NAV could easily be behind KAV more the next time in AV Comparatives. Anyway, I disagree with them. My own personal experience with newer zoo malware has KAV and NOD doing better. I've had to submit a few samples to Norton that KAV and NOD had long detected. It did not always run flawless for me, either. I've had problems with LiveUpdate, ad blocking, the log coming up right, and more.

Norton is far from perfect, and I left them a long time ago. I don't plan on going back. It is a good AV, but I want the best in detection with lesser resource usage, and KAV's done both.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  6. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

7. bigc73542

What is nice about having so many antivirus programs available everyone should be able to find one they and their computer likes. I use the one that runs and I believe gives the best protection on my comp. And I am sure that their are thousands of others out there that are happy with their AV's. And these discussions help others possibly make a decision as to which they will use or at least trial. I appreciate these civil discussions and want to thank all that have posted in this thread. I will be looking forward to the next.;)

bigc

8. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Now that we can agree on, bigc. I wasn't trying to convince you to change from Norton. I was just saying what I've found to be the best for me.

9. That is pretty unrealistic... opinions and facts aren't the same thing, coming to the conclusion as to what is "best" in any relative sense seems to coincide with the possible impasse that an offensive argument might lead to. But I guess sometimes it is best to sacrifice reason for an irrational diplomatic presentation.

10. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Huh? Each user can have different needs and experiences.

11. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I believe the portion of the analysis that you've seemingly missed is that the definition of best is controlled by the objective and subjective criteria used to rate a product. To put things on a firmer basis, toss out all subjective criteria, leaving only the objective ones. You'll still come up with a number of distinct leaders in which the top position is sensitive to the weighting of the various criteria used.

I agree that opinions and facts aren't the same thing, but the assignment of best does not stand apart from the criteria used to judge.

Blue

12. maddawgz

wow better then mcafee and trend detection...mite try 2006

13. mrgeek

mrgeek Registered Member

I CAN'T believe it! A thread about Symantec products without a single bash!

By the way I use Nav and NIS on some of my machines, among other AV and firewalls. Just loaded Nav2006 and like what I see so far.

14. bigc73542

With the newer versions they are getting much better in resources usage which was it seems the main concern in the past. We do have some very savvy members here and they can review and discuss a product with out bashing very well. The new versions detect and run pretty light which is good atribute in an av.

15. maddawgz

but is it really better then Trend And Mcafee detection?

16. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

I've been using NIS for a number of years, and since my subscription is up next month, have been trying to decide whether to go with NIS 2006, or try NOD32 and a stand alone firewall. I've read the posts bashing Symantec for years, but have had good success with NIS. (I agree that support has gone from bad to worse)

Bigc73542, thanks for the comments about the beta version of NIS 2006. I may stay with NIS for another year, but would'nt mind hearing what you think about the retail version when it arrives.

17. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

The complaints don't have to do with how easy or not easy it is to activate. They relate to DRM. This is the main reason I left Symantec when they instituted DRM and it doesn't matter to me if NAV was proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to be the greatest AV of all, I would not use it because of DRM. I am not a thief and don't appreciate Symantec claiming I am unless I prove I am not.

(I also will not use any Symantec product because support is so abysmal as to be a downright insult to any user and I won't tolerate being insulted either when I have spent my good money on a product).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.