Norton AntiVirus source code leaked to hackers?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hawki, Jan 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

To my knowledge they have had a couple of reseller sites hacked. Websites the parent company had no control over. Apples and oranges.

2. fax

fax Registered Member

Same as Norton, Kaspersky had its share of code leaking :)
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/01/kaspersky_source_code_leak/

For both cases it makes no sense to trash their current antivirus lines.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  3. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

The parent company in both instances had no control over:-they never can have or it would never happen,so really apples and apples:-in fact in Kasperskys case they should have vetted their employees better!:D

4. xxJackxx

Their source code was stolen by a rogue employee, no servers were hacked. But correct, no reason in either case to hold it up to current releases. I think all of the major vendors have lost some source code along the way.

They should have fired them.

5. steve1955

6. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

OK. No reason to get all riled up about current business/consumer AV/suites but surely we can agree that Symantec handled this rather poorly.
    First putting the sole blame on a third party, then backtracking and admitting their own servers were hacked. But no one needed to worry about Anything.
    Except for those using PCAnywhere of course, who were advised not to use it anymore for a short period until a patch was ready.
    Not the best of Symantec's PR stunts this year so far. Still, uninstalling current NIS/NAV because of this dramady is way over the top.

7. xxJackxx

They did handle it poorly but who's riled up? I am running Norton at the moment. This thread is not about Kaspersky (for which I also hold a license). Kaspersky bashing should be done in a Kaspersky thread. :D

8. steve1955

I'm not bashing Kaspersky,if it is me you mean,was just pointing out to a poster who said he'd basically lost faith in Norton and had moved to Kaspersky that they have had similar issues re hackers/stolen code/info

9. xxJackxx

Not you specifically as it just seems this has gone off topic to a degree that we should get it going back in the right direction. Myself included.

If someone is considering dumping Norton over the code leak it is likely not necessary. But that is my opinion. If someone wants to try another product because they are unhappy with Norton, then that is not specifically related to this thread. If someone no longer trusts Norton because of this, then it is, and that will be a personal choice to make, based on the evidence of how honest and forthcoming they feel Norton have been. I personally do not care if they were hacked, I am more concerned with how honest about it they are and what they are going to do about it, if action is necessary, depending on what code that actually was. If it is actually as old as they claim, there really should not be an issue.

10. fax

fax Registered Member

Not anymore a claim, been confirmed by several third party experts that analyzed the leaked code.

11. xxJackxx

Good to know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.