Norton Antivirus 2009 and Norton Internet Securithy 2009 final versons released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Cloudcroft, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

There are additional posts from Symantec employees on their beta forums that state specifically that SONAR will not be available on Vista 64 this year. While I don't have the Release version installed yet, none of the pre-release versions had SONAR even listed in the application (a good feature, nothing more irritating then seeing an option for something that won't work no matter what you click :D).

I'm willing to bet the site doesn't say anything about contextual scanning not being there for 64 bit either (but that's different than saying a feature IS there). Its just the quirks we live with to run 4GB of RAM :D Still, I'll ask on their forums again, since they should change their site if its relaying incorrect information.

2. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Gez !! What made you think I didn't try it ?? :blink:
    Did you read the whole post ?
    Just tryin to be a wise-crack :D (see the last part), that's all. Plus if you look up the Norton 2009 beta thread, you might find some of my posts there too ...
    I am not sure if I am the so-called BIAS here....

Cheers, Have a Nice Day :thumb:

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Some people are going overboard,

I've been aware of AVs that are low on system resources for years,

Sure, it's nice to see a lighter Norton, but cmon! Let's not go overboard as if this is something we have all not seen, simply norton catching on to what people have asked them for years.

4. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I have reinstalled NIS 2008 a ton of times on my desktop and never had a problem until I tried to move my key over to my laptop. That is when I got the "too many activations error". My guess is during the activation process, info is sent to symantec with your account info and computer's hardware ID.

6. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

running light on my test computer its very hard to believe this is Norton. :eek:

7. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

Agreed, this is not the end of viruses :D

I also agree they haven't done anything revolutionary. HOWEVER, I think it is fair to say their use of some of these concepts is evolutionary. Kaspersky was (I think) the pioneer of rapid-release updates hourly. Symantec's pulse releases at 5-10 minutes takes that to another level. The installation speed is unreal, barely a percentage of the time it took in the 2008 version.

I guess the way I look at it (and I think its similar to what you're saying) is that Symantec delivered the gains in one year it should have been providing incrementally since 2003ish :D And for folks used to what they expect from Symantec, it really is incredible, and they DO deserve some serious kudos.

8. edd3800

edd3800 Registered Member

I’ve been using Norton Internet Security 2009 beta for a few weeks now. I like just about everything on it. Very light, on my computer. It is a impressive product. They seem to have worked out the bugs. So I’m going back to Norton after 5 years.
    $70 is really more than I want to spend. I just order NIS 2008 from Computer’s Worth for $29 retail version will use the key for 2009.

9. Netherlands

Netherlands Registered Member

I still can't find information on the symantec website if NIS 2009 contains a webantivirus scanner. Does it contain one?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  10. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

Not in my case same machine every time. Their own support people even said it was crazy but it was the policy. They did mention there is a finite number of times it can be installed before it blacklists the license. I can't recall what that number was as this was a few years ago now.

11. RaLX

RaLX Registered Member

Is it confirmed that you can use NIS2008 key to install NIS2009?

Thanks.

12. s4u

s4u Registered Member

yes correct

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

definatly my friend used a 2003 boxed key on nis2008 and will soon on 2009

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I purched another license, from the link NIS2009 gives you during the activation and I only had to pay $49 for a new key.

15. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

sorry been super busy at work misread your post, my apologies...

16. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Isn't it? Lighter than Avira on my machines and I like Avira.

17. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Removed my post. After thinking it over, I didn't think it was appropriate thread to ask my question.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  18. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

Yes, I was using Avira and LnS, but NIS 09 is more lighter than my previous setup.

19. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

I have read so many people here talking about how light it is but have not seen any actual numbers. I know there is no A vs B here and I mean not against other products but even numbers showing how it compares in resource usage to the 2008 version of itself. Is that allowed? If so anyone got any numbers like this to share?

20. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Yes lighter here as well, and I really like Avira VERY much too, so I guess it's a BIG :thumb: on this one, Symantec. Keep up the good work!

Cheers

21. alloucho

alloucho Registered Member

Here is a screenshot;)

Attached Files:

22. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

I'd also like to know about the resource use on NIS (or the AV alone). I currently am running Avira and LNS, the total RAM burden being ~18,000K with no real increase in the Commit Charge when I installed them.

The single test that I saw from AV-Test.org had the Beta AV within a few percentage points of Avira (and I'm pretty sure that the difference probably wasn't statistically significant, but God forbid that any of these tests would bring that fact up).

23. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

scary isn't it...personally I was always shocked at the less than forever install...

24. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Atomic_Ed,

Two processes running on Vista 32 Home Premium (commit size in parens):

ccSvcHst.exe = 2,288 K (37,028 K)
    ccSvcHst.exe = 3,848 K (41,464 K)

They increase when doing a scan, etc. but return to under 10K.

25. Rain_Train

Rain_Train Registered Member

A Small Issue...

Hi, I've installed Norton Internet Security 2009 and am currently trialing it. I like it a lot (it runs even lighter than Avira Free on my system!), but there is just one problem I'm facing.

I went to download the EICAR test file – using Firefox 3 – and eicar.com (standard protocol, 86 bytes) would not download. I assumed it was blocked by Norton, but Norton never gave me a popup notification that it blocked a virus. I disabled Norton Auto-Protect, then was able to download the file to a folder. I turned on Norton Auto-Protect and attempted to run the test file (this is the executable version). Once again, I had to assume Norton caught it, because it disappeared in Windows Explorer before my very eyes! Yet Norton still did not give a popup warning. I checked the Norton history, and sure enough, Norton blocked it – Eicar test file showed up in the history.

I have tried going through the settings, and I'm not on Silent Mode and I'm not in full screen (I even disabled detecting of full screen and tried it, still no warning). Did Symantec take out warning notifications in this version, is it a bug, or is something wrong with my configuration? :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.