Norton 360 BETA

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Netherlands, Nov 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 337

337 Registered Member

Good deal!! I will be keeping a close eye on this thread... Just don't know if I can muster the courage to try it myself.:thumb:

2. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

A virus scanner for the 360?

3. btman

btman Registered Member

If that's a joke... That's what I thought @ first too... If not...

Well its a virus scanner for everything.. 360= circle... protects everything... i dont no. Nortons just stupid..

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Here you go...., straight from Symantec.

Blue

Attached Files:

5. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

I got only 150MB.Why?:'(

I got only 15 days subscription!!!Why?:oops:
    It's so unfair...
    My impressions:fast,simple to use and not havy even for my Celeron 2.0Ghz:)
    About antivirus:i don't see right-click context menu scan

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  6. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I don't know why my computer doesn't like Norton, or maybe it's Norton that doesn't like my computer. o_O

I installed 360 today. The install went smoothly. Checked to see how it affected my computer memory, CPU, and browsing speeds, all seemed fine. Then I rebooted, and that's when the mystery of why Norton and my computer don't get along happened again. Just like with NAV 2007, after rebooting, 360 didn't seem to want to load. I waited several minutes, just like with NAV 2007, and no 360 startup. I finally reverted my hard drive to before it was installed.

I have no idea why this happens with Norton products. o_O I have an AMD Athlon 2.0 processor and 1 GB of RAM. There shouldn't be any problems. No other company's AV affects my computer this way. It's not my intention to bash Norton products. It's just very frustrating. Sorry for the rant.

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I'm still trying to find out why Symantec has suddenly dropped Windows 2000 support from its 2007 line of products. There isn't so much of difference between XP and 2000 and even its closest competitor (McAfee) supports Windows 2000.

I guess its a way for Symantec to cut development costs.....Always there some such niggle with the products of the bigger companies. Symantec actually have a good product with their 2007 releases but now we have this niggle of Windows 2000 support being removed. Windows 2000 still has four years to go before the extended support from Microsoft ends, and yet we see Microsoft and Symantec cutting corners. :(

To be honest, the one "big" AV vendor which has released satisfactory products over the past few years is McAfee. They have really gone a long way and put out a product with great detection rates, great features and simplicity for the common man.

The smaller companies also produce some great software though. :)

8. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

9. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

good move by symantec and it will be one of greatb use..

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok.. im gonna give it a go,

said beta runs till feb 07 but when i try it ... i also only get 15 days, pretty poor time to test a released beta.

but i will give it a go, and let you know my two cents on it, does look good so far though, and they have made improvements since i last looked into it many months ago.

11. BlueZannetti

On the beta, just execute a renewal operation (Bring up main window, select My Account, Renew Subscription>Next) and you'll get another 15 day slice.

Blue

12. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok thanks for that,

will give it a try if after 15 days i still want it, it is good though, and installs quicker than the IS 2007 which is strange.

i must say though, norton have vastly improved in these 2007 versions and that 'similar style' with the 360 is nothing less than great.

13. w185786775

w185786775 Registered Member

我试用过了,用官方给的序列号激活后试用期是15天,感觉测试版的稳定性还不是很好,第一次重启的时候会报告某进程引用内存错误,而且windows自动更新的警报无法关闭,总的来说还有待改进

14. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Babelfish translation for this post is as follows:

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I installed the beta and played around with it for a few hours... Anyhow, I noticed that didn't have the option to scan individual files/folders via the context menu. Anyone else notice this?

16. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

17. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

18. Moshe Haven

Moshe Haven Registered Member

I've been using it for about 2 months, most of which has been trying to get a response on some glaring bugs: Biggest one is that it consistently reports that the system is vulnerable to intrusion. But you can't check the box to enable intrusion protection. When you do and then check back it is unchecked. When I report it they repeatedly ask for logs, which I send, and promise a reply in a couple of days but never do. THen a few days ago I got an email saying that it was not a Beta but a pre-alpha release. It appears that they are not reading their own advertising on this.

It also does not allow you to enter sites that you trust or not. Those screens are blank and there is no way to make additions to them.

My feeling of security with Norton is plumetting.

19. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

Anyone know if more than 2Gb of storage will be available for an extra charge? I can't even backup my Photographs alone in 2Gb. I like the idea and had been considering some kind of online storage for my Photographs and other key data.

Thanks,
    Phasechange :cool:

20. BlueZannetti

That question was addressed in the beta forum with a yes, but no details (limits or pricing) were given. It is also covered to the same level in the FAQ

Blue

21. phasechange

So guys what's the verdict on your testing so far? I'm toying with installing it. Mainly because I am interested in the online backup facility. I think there's a big market for security+backup. I for one am a potential customer worried about only having local backups.

Phasechange :D

22. phasechange

Hmmm well I tried it. Not enough storage to be of any use at all to me. Found it probably guides new users reasonably well (but is too restrictive for more experienced users). The firewall looks not bad but I didn't test it. And the uninstaller is to the usual standard:

http://ossian.myby.co.uk/norton.png

23. BlueZannetti

I decided to pull the plug, simply not for me. The on-line backup is a nice feature, but if I really want to go that route, I have other options. The remainder of the product is fine. Install and go for most folks. Pricing will be critical as to whether this is a viable option and they have left out what I believe are some key components - for it to be 360 degree coverage, they need to have native single button "utilities" that typical users may infrequently need to invoke, but are invaluable (say Winsock fix, ability to edit any autostart entry in the registry, lots of the simple Norton Utilities modules, etc.) While inclusion of these could make it look like a patchwork quilt, some are clearly needed to maintain/re-establish internet connectivity in the event of bad things...

Blue

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

agree :thumb:

25. phasechange

I decided it was good for someone else, but not for me. It's difficult to say what I didn't like but in general it had something to do with "not being in control". I felt the application was for people who didn't know what they were doing and all modules except the firewall were too restrictive for people who do. As the backup feature was also too user friendly (sic) for my requirements and the amount of space for testing too little to be of any use at all for me I uninstalled it.

I don't really like security suites either. Just not for me even though it does what it does very well.

Phasechange :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.