Norton 2011 released (early releases only - see new thread)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by 3GUSER, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomiRed

TomiRed Registered Member

Re: Norton 2011 released

I got it here, 91,1 megs. No md5 tools, but it is veery probably the same file. :D

2. begemot64

begemot64 Registered Member

Link half way down the first page definitely works.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Most of the files it deleted didn't give that option. They also tend to not like any of Nirsoft's files and have said they won't remove them from detection because they can be potentially used for bad things. Overall it's not a bad suite but their target audience remains the computer illiterate and it doesn't look like they will accommodate the advanced user, even as an option. :(

4. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

Agreed. However, in those cases you can manually add those files to exclusions.
    It's a PIA but for some reason they want it that way.

For me that's not a problem at all, full scan found only 3 items (all FP's), which in my case is very good.
    For example A-Squared found 52 items :eek:
    MSE found none.

So, I guess the best thing for now is to do Full Scan and in case of FP's , if there is no Restore&Exclude option for some item, exclude it manually.
    After that, it's all done.

5. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:thumb:
    It's a big pita
    If NIS wipes the file: it's gaawwnn.
    Cant exactly exclude it then!
    I posted about this with 2010 in the community forums: very little response. :cautious:
    LOL: most of my "tools" folder was vapourised on a trial in one of my snapshots.
    None of the tools was a new file.
    I give credit for detection of some renamed files; but...abslutely no malware.
    IIRC correctly: Gmer, RKu, Frisk, FHS, Flister, Pr0cess Walker, SVV and Icesword were all declared as mals. LOL
    NIS still identifies invisiblethings.org and rootkit.com as Unsafe; :shifty: I suppose in fact they are really.

There absolutely should be some more "expert" options re "What about this detection?"
    vs wipe first ask later. :ouch:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  6. pabrate

Well, then it's a huge PITA , wasn't aware that it wipes the file without quarantine it.
    Wow, that's bizarre :blink:

Your post made me look at 'security history' to see if app wiped something without telling me.
    There was nothing.
    Can you look it for yourself and report what does it say in those cases ?
    I think it can't just wipe something and not log that somewhere o_O

Capture.JPG

7. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Oh it logs it : just not so helpful if it ( the file) is gone !

PS: heh: all of Nir's ( well not all :) ) files are usually detected as mals by Symantec
    Heh heh, Umm, Noo. :D
    Atm not updated in that snapshot.
    Will need some careful setting up b4 I install and check latest scans.

When I get there: I'll let u know
    As a default: No software should do effing anything to MY box unless I say so.
    LCD dont always work.

Dont misunderstand: there are parts of the latest NIS/NAV I like.
    I think the interface has been well improved, scan times, "cloud" detection etc etc.

I suspect there may be some risk of the Symantec bloat creeping back.

I use it here ( with PrevX ) on the little guys boxes and the spouse's, can be just alittle overbearing and I think the FW is hhmm tricky: it's interesting that he FW is so configureable with a lot of thought ( I'm not sure Symantec actually want anyone re-organizing the defaults in the FW :cool: but it can be done),
    but then the Av just lifts the skirts and squeals.
    Why not extend the configing to the Av/detection a bit ??

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  8. pabrate

Okay :)

As for me, first time I experience "wipe" this suite will be gone from my box for sure.
    Auto-Quarantine I don't like but I can live with it, after initial Full Scan I reckon it won't bother me anymore at all, so it's fine for now.

btw I used Prevx alone for about week or so, and removed it cause it slowed down my system , even frozened OS (had to reboot) , so I wouldn't use it with Norton for sure.

9. TomiRed

No more SONAR for this Zbot, it's on the fastkill list now. :'(

niss.JPG

10. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

NIS 18.1.0.37 detected: Security Risk.URL Redirect.....Hosts file modification.....
    jiangmin.com....

Which seems to refer to this company discussed here at Wilders:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=254077&highlight=Jiangmin

Don't know quite what to make of this. Have never had that software installed, or SS, or anything. If a FP....how is thiso_O

Attached Files:

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

One thing I'm noticing since installing 2011 is periods of intense hard disk activity. The Performance Monitor shows ccSvchst.exe as the main cause which I believe is an NIS component. Anyone else seeing this?

12. clocks

clocks Registered Member

When the PC is idle, or while you are using it? It will scan on it's own when it senses the PC is idle.

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

This happens while I'm using the computer. I've checked the idle/scan settings and don't see any problem there.

14. Subgud

Subgud Registered Member

Anyone had problems with the windows FW starting up with windows for so to be turned off by NIS? I am. Everytime I turn on my computer, windows FW popup asking for norton online backup. I cant allow it or deny it. It waits for NIS to start up and then the alert go away.

Seems like a bug. Did never happen with V2010

Attached Files:

15. stratoc

stratoc Guest

have you tried clicking on get support, then running the autofix tool? it should report conflict with windows firewall resolved.
    or disable windows firewall in services.

16. Subgud

Subgud Registered Member

Yes I have. I do know I can stop the firewall service. But I dont think it is me that should stop windows services from running when I install some kind of security suite. Probably this will be fixed in some update.

It is not that it bothers me. Just a question if anyone else have had some bugs in this, what appear to be a very nice, suite :)

17. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Windows 7 has a nasty arse habit of turning Windows Firewall back on, all by it self if its not disabled thought the services menu. NIS on my laptop shut windows Firewall off but as soon as I ran Windows update and rebooted it was reactivated. I have sense disabled it thought the Services.msc command.

Norton is not the only one affected by this It's happened on my computer that has Comando and my other Laptop that has ZAP on it.

18. begemot64

Confirmed. That's kind of annoying though, now I can't troubleshoot why Sonar didn't detect this on my cleanly formatted machines....

But I think I know what the problem is - Download Insight - it doesn't always work properly on all downloaded files. Since Sonar 3 cross references Download Insight, if Downoad Insight is not working, Sonar is probably not as effective. Found this thread in the NIS forums with people with similar problems:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Nort...nload-Insight-Not-always-checking/td-p/278221

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  19. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hi,

Quick question: Does NIS 2011 still install a toolbar on both, IE8 and Firefox?

Thanks,

Carlos

20. begemot64

Yes, but you can easily disable both.

21. TomiRed

Concerning the fate of the Zbot dropper, one final verdict
    windef.JPG

Now even Windows Defender gets it.
    The word around that Windows Defender is not anti-virus is becoming more and more ludicrous - It's now practically the same thing as MSE, it just doesn't report itself in the security center, and the updating schedule is a bit more lax... :D , hence - not anti-virus. :D

About the Firewall - something is wrong with the installation of NIS or the Wbem.. In all my installs of NIS/N 360, Win Firewall was always properly disabled, but without shutting down the service, which is important in some features - Home/public network, marking files as 'from the internets' :D and probably others I can't remember now.

22. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Official Final Release of NIS 2011 (18.1.0.37) NOW AVAILABLE for current subscribers to NIS 2006 or later as an Update through the update center.

Ditto Norton Anti-Virus.

23. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

And it's the same release(s) as linked to on the first page in the thread. :)

24. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Yes , they have finally announced it
    http://community.norton.com/t5/Nort...rton-AntiVirus-2011-Update-is-Now/td-p/278759

Capture.PNG

Something interesting about Smart Definitions:

You perform clean installation , activate the product . But still you do NOT update Norton . Change the settings to download/use only Smart definitions. Now run Live Update , Norton will update successfully but won't get virus definitions.

Reason is you must first download the complete set of definitions (as it is by default) , let Norton install it at least once (as it is by default) and then you can change to Smart Definitions and redownload them , and start to use them.

As Norton announced the product in their forum can someone contact Norton support and see if they continue to reject specific support questions re.2011 with the explanation that it is still not released in the USA. Because I contacted them on Sunday and the agent first claimed the product is a BETA . Later , when I denied , he said it is not BETA but a trialware and they are gonna support it soon.

25. TomiRed

Give them some time, they have to teach all their agents 'the new stuff' :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.