Norton 2008 released?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by midway40, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

So, it was a stupid question.. I never went all the way back in that screen :)

2. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers. Believe me I have had my share of Homer moments, lol.

Also I need to state that disabling WD will not "set off" Security Center. It will still recognize Norton as being the anti-malware program (if you are running Norton).

3. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I am giving this some serious consideration for PC 2 in my sig, which is a XP SP2 machine. The resources are relatively light as you can see. I have read the postings in this thread. Looks like they have come a good distance to the postive since 2003 when I last had Norton. My license for OutPost is Lifetime so no problem in waste of license. Use and put back on shelf as I please.

I have offer from Symantec, $20 off, final cost $49.99. I really only need it for one PC at the moment. Looks like I can use for up to 3. Sweet, for when I get the new Vista machine later. :)

Also I read about automatic renewal feature that is also new since 2003? Is this optional or a mandatory set up to make you renew or at least make it difficult not too. :doubt:

Thanks fellow creatures for your replies...it's been a long time since Norton 2003 for me. :doubt:

4. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

Question for the NAV/NIS 2008 experts.
    I saw this in NAV 2007 as well, I use the Taskmanager almost all time keeping an eye on things, and I see that everytime I open the Taskmanager , even when already running in the TaskBar:

SymProtect Event Details:
    Actor: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TASKMGR.EXE (PID=3900)
    Target: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
    Action: Unauthorized access
    Reaction: Unauthorized access stopped

Anyway to stop these messages?

I'm on Vista HP 32-bit

5. midway40

mercurie: I bought my subscription directly from Symantec back in March but I do not remember encountering automatic renewal during the ordering process. In fact I knew nothing of this until some time afterward when someone mentioned about it on this forum. I checked my Norton account and it stated that I did not have any product with auto renewal turned on. I also noticed that that they do not have my billing info as well.

Littlemutt: where are these messages, in Event Viewer? I haven't noticed these messages. But it appears that it has something to do with the self-protection feature.

6. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

@Midway
    In NAV 2008 Open the log viewer and they are appearing under the Symantec Resource Protector the Alerts sub folder.

Sometimes they appear at the rate of 2-3/sec. I've had no luck searching their knowledgebase.

7. midway40

Ok, I see what you are talking about. Not only does TM trigger it but Process Explorer does as well. I think it has something to do with the self-protection as these programs try to identify the processes and Norton blocks it as part of it's protection. This could be why Norton's processes show up as "ownerless" (no user name) in Task Manager.

If this is the case I wouldn't worry about it. In fact this tells you that the self-protection feature is working. :)

EDIT: Before I hit 'Submit Reply' I had a thought. I turned the Self-Protection off and turned Task Manager on and off and observed the Activity Log. It no longer registers when TM is turned on. Also Norton's processes are now showing "SYSTEM" as the owner. So it seems my theory was correct.

8. rhuds13

rhuds13 Registered Member

Well I went to Best Buy and got NIS2008 yesterday. Was running fine I thought. I had run disk defrag before installing then later went and installed another game (Quake 4) then ran defrag and would not finish. It kept saying some files were fragmented. Checked and was MFT so ran boot scan and still would not work so installed Diskeeper Pro and it could not fix either. So ran Ghost image to before NIS2008 and installed Avast Home and then Quake 4 and ran defrag and all is fine. Contacted Symantec support by chat and they said must be a Microsoft problem and to contact them. I explained only happened with NIS2008 installed but no joy. So just to be sure Ghosted again and installed NIS2008 again then Quake4 and same problem. This problem must just be on my Asus system did not notice same problem on the Dell. Too bad cause really liked it.

9. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

I dont understand what is the problem here. Are you saying that on your system it is not possible to defrad the MFT ? Well MFTs do get fragmented as you know its normal. Looks like Diskeeper Pro has limitation that it cannot defrag certain kinds of MFT fragmentations.

10. rhuds13

What I was saying is that before installing a game with NIS2008 already installed I ran disk defrag and went normal. After installing a game when disk defrag was at end a warning came up stating files could not be defraged. When I read log it said the main fragmented files were the MFT. After several trys I then ran boot defrag and it stated that MFT was fragmented. I then installed Diskeeper Pro and had it run a boot defrag and it was not able to correct the problem so I tried Perfect Disk 8 and also no joy. So Ghosted back to before NIS2008 and actually installed several games (Quake 4, Far Cry and Painkiller with Expansion Pack), then ran disk defrag and had no problem with MFT fragments warning. So Ghosted back and installed NIS2008 and tried same thing with again the warning about files not able to be defragmented. Now after Ghosting back and installing Avast Home and Comodo have installed all the same games and still now warning about files not being defragmented or MFT fragmenting. If there is a way to get around this please tell me as I would like to keep using NIS2008 as it seemed to be running very good other wise and fast. tks all

11. midway40

I am having no problems with Vista's auto defrag and NIS '08. I also have Q4 as well. Just a guess, you might can try defragging with AutoProtect off. Maybe NIS is protecting the MFT so it is preventing defragmentation of that part of the drive.

12. rhuds13

Tks just ghosted back and installed NIS2008 so will give that a try.

13. rhuds13

Defragmentation is complete for: (C:)

Some files on this volume could not be defragmented.
    Please check the defragmentation report for the list of these files.

This is what I got again. Defraged ok after install of NIS then after install Quake 4 got above warning. Will now try Perfect Disk 8 again and see.

14. rhuds13

After running Perfect Disk boot defrag then entire drive defrag 3 times Perfect Disk shows ok but XP still shows warning. Is this just something about Norton and nothing to worry about? Would like to know what causes it.

Just ran Perfect Disk 2 more times and then XP disk defrag still no change.

Ok ran chkdsk then disk defrag and still same. Little things like tend to bother me till I figure it out.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  15. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

Anybody got a link for NIS 2008 french? I just can't find it, all the trials links are still for NIS 2007 on the french site. Only link for NIS 2008 I find are the one to buy it, and since I only want to upgrade a computer that has NIS 2007 french that's not the one I want. :(

Kin

16. midway40

Oh well, it was worth a try. It must be something in the hardware like you mentioned at first.

Kinwolf: I don't understand why they don't at least offer the trial version on the French site. You could download it and use your existing key.

17. rhuds13

I decided to just install most of my games now using 30gig on c then make a new image. Then installed NIS2008 and checked disk defrag and is ok. It must be some kind of protection in Norton that won't allow defrag of all the files so I will keep trying and find out what. tks for the help.

18. rhuds13

Turned on system this morning and NIS says must re-activate but will not finish. So it's out of here.

19. midway40

Looks like you have run into the same problem LegendKiller had (see post #58 in this thread).

Sorry it didn't work out for you. I am surprised I haven't ran into problems (knock on wood) because of the previous installations of '07, the betas, and a bad install of '08. But it is working great right now and barring any future problems I will definitely be renewing.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  20. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

Hate to bump an old thread, but My Norton AV 2008 is 30 days away from renewal. I'm happy with the way it runs on my system, so I'm probably going to renew - but I've run into something I think strange.

I started this time last year with NAV 2007, then when 2008 came along I jumped at the change to upgrade due to it being more stable on my system than 07 was. I went to renew and the Symantec site wants to sell me an upgrage to 2008, I already am running 08 ?

2008 is not even listed in the renewal drop list on the site. Anyone run into this ? Seems I can only find pages to renew 2007 -

Thanks in advance

21. midway40

22. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

Thanks for the link, guess I will wait until it actually expires , thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.