Norton 2008 released?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by midway40, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I just read on another forum that NAV/NIS 2008 has completed beta testing and will be shipped in the next couple of days. The poster quoted an email he got from the beta testing coordinator.

I haven't gotten an email yet so I headed over to the beta forums to see if an announcement was made there but the NAV/NIS beta forums are gone, just only the Smartphone Security forum is left.

I am happy, but a little surprised as there were still people posting issues with Network Map and Identity Safe up to a couple of days ago. Maybe they got them all sorted out just recently.

I will await to see if I get this email and hopefully in a couple of days I will be back with Norton again :)

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

during me time using it and adding all the screenshots i posted for NIS2008, it seemed to me that norton had not learned anything from their mistakes, it felt like they had added things which people just did not need and seemed to bump up the installation files, to me, it seemed like that had to do this just to release a new version.

only time will tell, i personally preferred NIS2007 than the pre release of 2008. *excluding bugs.

3. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I can say I too have received the email, the final versions are;
    Dunno what I am going to do with a 1year NFR though ;)

4. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

maybe the final was made available to beta-testers first...........similar thing has happened with mcafee.;)
    their forums(mcafee's) is flooded with people asking questions about problems in 2008 version of IS and VSP.............and strangely their website shows no trace of the new line being released......

5. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

I like the 2008 MUCH better.. it boots faster and overall drag is slower than the 2007. I have no problem with an increase in install time, it not like I am installing every day. I like the free Norton Confidential features, in fact those are the only ones that I will actually use.. the password manager, etc.

6. midway40

They are now taking pre-orders on NIS 2008:

NIS 2008

I liked 2008 and would have still been using the beta if it wasn't for the premature expiration of my beta key.

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Just download the trial version and use your 2007 key on it.

http://shop.symantecstore.com/store...ntTheme/ThemeID.106300/pbPage.Trialware_en_US

8. midway40

That "couple of days" sure went by quickly, thanks Namor! :D

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Hey no problem! ;)

10. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

11. BG

BG Registered Member

Thanks Namor. Thats what I just did and installed and took my subscription just fine. No problems .... so far. :)

I'm installing NAV2008 over the top of NAV2007 without uninstalling on my test xp home system. Wanted to see what would happen.

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Put it on Vista and 2007 was a lot less buggy then 2008.

13. midway40

I had two issues with the Beta, Vista's Security Center did not see Norton installed and I could never configure Identity Safe (I am never given the option). The SecCenter bug is fixed but I still can't configure Identity Safe. I have a feeling that the only fix will be to reinstall Vista as I have been installing and uninstalling betas and other suites so much lately. I don't really need IS now so it isn't worth it for me to reinstall right now.

Otherwise I am delighted with this version. Things are right with the universe again :)

14. oldshep

oldshep Registered Member

Just loaded it up and taking it for a test drive. Very nice - no bugs so far. Its been 2 years since I ran Norton. I can't remember how to get it to remember passwords for Websites. Anyone have any suggestions on that topic?

Thanks

15. midway40

I decided to try out the "One Click" support chat about the Identity Safe problem. After conversing with a helpful tech I found out that I have been causing all my problems all along by using the Removal Tool instead of using the Add/Remove option (I was thinking NRT would clean up better). What had happened was that on the first beta build the IS configuration failed but still registered as IS being configured. There was a registry entry that told NIS that IS was configured which NRT nor my reg cleaner did not clear up. So I just did a reinstall using Add/Remove and presto the configure button appeared. So I now have it configured :)

Another thing was that this could have been the reason I had problems with NIS '07 not connecting to the internet after uninstalling the '08 betas via NRT :oops:

16. oldshep

So did you get your ID safe working? Isn't it supposed to automatically collect passwords at login then offer those the next time you visit the website?

Thanks

17. midway40

I have set up my credit cards but I haven't seen that pop-up yet about the saving of passwords yet. I am going to try out other forums and see if it pops up.

18. oldshep

Any info would be appreciated. I tried the One click chat but couldn't connect - probably because I'm currently on a free trial. I'll hunt around on the Symantec site for the users guide in the mean time.

thanks again

19. midway40

20. midway40

Ok, it appears that it only works on some sites. It does not work on this forum nor a Vista forum I go to. But when I went to log on to Neowin's forum the save password dialog box came up.

21. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

22. oldshep

I just had an interesting "chat" with Symantec help. The dude told me I have a beta version and that's why my log-ins / identity safe aren't working properly. He also said that the final release would be out in a week. So now I'm confused. I downloaded this installer from the link Namor provided above:

edit: What version are you guys running and where do you find it?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  23. midway40

That is strange and I doubt he knew what he was talking about. If it was beta why did it pick up my '07 key after the install? (I didn't have to type it in because it was stored somewhere on the computer). The betas never done that.

EDIT: I used NAMOR's link also.

24. oldshep

The chat was very strange. The help person seemed a little clueless during most of the chat. At first he said you need to add a Norton confidential password then asked me if there was anything else I needed o_O

Oh well, I'm just trialing anyways. Other than the website password issue, things are running pretty smooth. If you can find your NIS version number please let me know what it is and also how to find it.

Thanks

25. midway40

Mine is 15.0.0.60 and it is found in Help and Support. Click About in the blue toolbar and then click on the Norton Internet Security tab.

Remember in my original post that I was surprised it was out this early because of some issues I saw people having with IS. It may still be buggy as some sites it works and others it doesn't. Maybe a future update will fully fix it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.