Noob with OS to SSD hang issue

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by cacloss, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cacloss

cacloss Registered Member

I've seen a number of threads on this topic, but there doesn't seem to be any resolution. My system is stuck on the "Calculating copy size" message. How long should this take? I am migrating from a 1TB to a 64GB SSD. I de-selected all of my User folders, pressed next, and now it just sits here with the spinning tear drop.

Wondering if this tool really works... I don't see any success stories in the forums. May have jumped on this too soon...

I am running OS - windows 7 ulitimate x 64

Any thoughts?

2. ad5os

ad5os Registered Member

I am having the same issue.. the calculating copy size just keeps going forever. I let it run for 7 hours today and it used 100% cpu time the whole time. There must be a huge bug in it or something for windows to not even recognize that the program isn't working right.

Can someone from Paragon please comment.. I have sent 2 questions already.. I got this SSD drive that I want to use but I can't till this gets resolved or if someone could recommend another program to easily just select which folders to migrate to the SSD to boot from that would be much appreciated.

3. ad5os

ad5os Registered Member

Looking at other early adopters.. it looks like the program is pretty hit or miss with win 7 64bit. I guess I will just have to reinstall windows or find another way of migration... their support page says it takes 3 business days to respond but I have a feeling they could care less about this program cause they bundled it with their new 2011 disk management program and I bet they did all the upgrades for that but never updated this stand alone version.

I just think we are screwed honestly.

4. ad5os

ad5os Registered Member

well It is running now...

I uninstalled disk manager 2010 and reinstalled the program.

Now I see in resource monitor that there is activity between the ssd and the program.

The file fdisk.txt in the paragon folder is increasing and I see the migrateos.exe is reading about 250,000 B/sec and it is also writing a file to the SSD drive called tmprwblk.bin.

Now I am going from a 750Gig drive to a 64G SSD. I just want the Windows and Program Files folders on it.. not the x86 programs or Users. I guess at this rate it will be 2613119.9 seconds or 43551.9 minutes or 725.86 hours or 30.24 days or 4.32 weeks before it is done. WTF! really? is this why there isn't a progress bar?

5. ad5os

ad5os Registered Member

Here is the official response from them. looks like you have to buy a something but the support guy gave no reference to what I should buy... or a link.... or even a NAME of the program. I just want to know if I BUY the program that it works. I am having less faith about the ability of this program to do what it says it can do.

6. cacloss

Interesting, George. I actually paid for the retail version of the software and downloaded it from their site.

I guess I'll need to submit a support request now. I wonder what they will tell me... I should find out in 3 days (what a croc)

7. Tailwagger

Tailwagger Registered Member

Wish I read this thread prior to spring for this stuff. I Couldn't test the hdd to ssd in the demo version so I just decide what they heck and bought it just today. Mistake. Ran into the same hang problem you're seeing. Forced me to trying doing a bios upgrade that nearly lost me my machine. Fortunately was able to restore everything. Bottom line, if its a known problem and theres a fix why isnt it in the download version? Regardless, they damn well better give me an updated version with a fix that works or the CC charge will be stopped. What a PITA.

8. cacloss

I agree that they should let you download the working version when you purchase it... it's created all kinds of problems for folks trying to migrate.

On the positive side, they did send me a link to a new version that works fine. Go ahead and submit the problem at their support site. Once they verify your license, they will send the link to the working version. Took 1 day to get mine.

THE WORKING VERSION DOES NOT HANG. If yours isn't working in just a few minutes, you have the wrong version so don't wast any time using it...

9. Tailwagger

Tailwagger Registered Member

Glad to hear it. I sent something off to support. Hopefully, they'll respond soon. Thanks for for taking the time to respond!!!

10. mramay

mramay Registered Member

I downloaded and installed the “Migrate OS to SSD” program yesterday (Thursday Feb 24th) on my HP Pavilion DV7. All I’m trying to do it migrate my Win7 Ultimate 64-bit OS to my new 40GB Corsair SSD but the program said “there isn’t sufficient space” since it’s trying to copy the whole 500GB HDD.

I need help – this program does not work and I would really like to use it. I tried for many hours to get it function but nothing. There is significant room for improvement here!! Why is it that a solution found three weeks ago, per the above postings, isn't automatically available to new purchasers?

The Forums suggest there is an updated version that functions – how do I get ito_O
    Mike

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  11. mramay

mramay Registered Member

Speaking of "significant room for improvement", is there anyone from Paragon monitoring this forum? I posted this message three days ago and would have seriously hoped that someone would have responded by now. Nothing from the "direct to Paragon" Support Request, nothing here. I realize it's only $20 for the Migrate software, but I was really hoping for an answer!! If they are in Germany, it's 3:00 PM now.

Helloooo - where are you Paragono_O?

12. mramay

mramay Registered Member

I called Paragon in CA this morning and got my answer. It looks like the Migrate OS to SSD program won't work in my instance. I have the entire original HDD in one partition, OS and all the data; and that's what is confusing OS/SSD program. Too much "stuff" for it to decipher. If I had a partition that was just the OS or maybe the OS and some programs (e.g., MS Office), then OS/SSD would likely have worked just fine.

Matt, of Paragon, was marvelous in troubleshooting this concern. We went through lots of attempts to get this to work but no joy. Kudos for Matt to try that hard!!

Per Matt's advice, I'm going to:
    Make a Win7 Ultimate 64-bit Boot DVD
    disconnect the stock spinner HDD
    Boot the laptop with that boot DVD
    From the boot DVD, load the OS onto the SSD
    Update the BIOS to boot from the SSD then reinstall the spinner HDD

That should result in a laptop that will:
    Boot from the SSD
    Keep the HDD completely stock as a bootable drive so that it can be used for all data, some programs, and function as a stock bootable HDD if the SSD dies.

He also suggested that I get Hard Drive Manager 2011 and make an image of the SSD. If (when?) the SSD dies, I can put in another one and restore that image quickly.

I have a program called Drive Genius 10 that I'll use on the SSD once it's bootable and all the drivers I can think of are on it.

This is going to be a long but not difficult effort. Stay tuned.

13. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

@mramay

Did you try to use Service Build version of Migrate OS to SSD which is available on-demand? It works with many excludes successfully and should also work in your situation.

I would recommend you to contact Paragon Support Team (using web form http://www.paragon-software.com/webform) and they will provide you with Service Build version.

14. mramay

mramay Registered Member

Mech_An,
    Thanks for the advise. I've sent in the message requesting the Service Build version.

I thought I'd try one more time with the OS/SSD program that I downloaded last Thursday. It took right at six hours to calculate copy space after I had unchecked pretty much everything on the list, leaving Nvidia, the two Program Files directories (with pretty much everything in the (x86) directory unchecked), and the Windows file. That totaled around 25GB. Started the Copy process around 9:30pm and went to bed at 11pm with it still running. This morning the error message was "insufficient room to copy", on this 40GB drive. @#$%^&*

What size drive would be the minimum for this effort? Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit OS and maybe MS Office - 80GB? 120GB??

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  15. Mech_An

There is no need to exclude Program Files folders if they are not very large.

Did you try to remove only folders with media file and non-system files (e.g. your documents and staff).
    Note: do not exclude entire Users folder! Only sub-folders and files.

40GB is usually enough for Windows.

16. mramay

mramay Registered Member

Yep, unchecked the stuff that was mine, left the rest. I was surprised that I got the message of Insufficient Space though. I was going to head down to Fry's Electronics today and get an 80GB or so SSD, but it sounds like the 40GB should have been enough.

17. Mech_An

I would recommend you to check capacity of standard Windows folders via TreeSize Free software. http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/
    Then try to exclude only extra-large folders to get ~35GB to copy in Service Build of Migrate OS. Most possible your current version will not perform migration correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.