Non-free Internet Security Suites

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Howard Kaikow, Nov 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Anybody notice any non-free Internet Security Suites that are free, or close to it, AFTER rebates.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

3. tayres

tayres Guest

Outpost.com has had KIS, NIS, etc. with a 100% rebate. Specials change weekly.

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

KIS 6.0, go to their own element retailer on website. Go for 2 years reduced. Type in kis25go in coupon section and you practically get one year free on the suite.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

this will also take 25 percent off the 1 year price.

6. Howard Kaikow

Ayup, thar's what triggered this thread.

Outpost is offerring KIS free AFTER TWO rebates, but one requires proof of a competitor's IS program. So I was looking for a free IS that would qualify me for the full rebate.

Guess I'll have to wait for another rebate deal, perhaps, Symantec.

P.S. I was disappointed to find that the KIS user guide does not include system requirements. The requirements are listed at Kaspersky's web site.

Outpost.com incorrectly states that Win XP is required.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I looked to see if a download receipt would do it, but it appears that it must be a boxed copy. I would like to send my Bit Defender renewal receipt and get KIS. Well, I have F-Secure until July so I won't be defenseless.

I also will keep watching. I wonder sometimes when the specials come out if there is an expiration date for the license. I suspect "no" for the box, but "yes" for the download. I wish it was a case of he license starting when activated.

Regards,
    Jerry

8. Howard Kaikow

The rebate forms for the two KIS rebates state "copy of your sales/web receipt".

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

The $25 one has the statement, “Include the ORIGINAL page one from competitors internet security manual, or competitors Internet Security install disk.”

Another problem is that it seems to be saying that the upgrade must be from an internet suite. I am not sure, but it is just too much hassle. I only have the AV subscription.

Thanks, and maybe we'll get lucky in the next few months. If not then when F-Secure runs out I will go probably with Avira Classic (if it will work for me) or Avast Home. The laptop does not get that much internet use, and I do have several good security programs on it. If I can get a good break on KAV I'll buy it. F-Secure is just too expensive, and although Avira Premium is a fair price I did have some issues. They may be worked out by summer, however.

But there is just something about getting something good free. I have the year trial of F-Secure, and I like it in spite of complaints about its "weight."

Best,
    Jerry

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

as said before its what works for you in the end.
    i guess if you have a quite powerful laptop and dont use it much its not really an issue.

my nextdoor neighbours dell laptop had the old bloated macafee installed and once i got rid of all the crap that comes with the laptop it works really fats like it should. my point is bloated suite seem fine if the laptop or desktop is quite new and then you dont notice.

when i first got my current main pc which is 2 years old on the 25th december this year i was gonna install norton like normal but at that point i got my dad to buy f-secure 2005 version at the time and my pc seemed really fast even with it installed but with a brand new pc you dont notice.
    also is there anywhere website that has a campaign about not installing crap ware on laptops?

because business users just get rid of the current OS and use the company windows license instead with no rubbish. but my neighbour didnt know that and ordered it with symantec recovery partition and not windows CD.

I found that acer doesnt bundle much rubbish thou unlike dell and Hp.

this is a bit off topic im sorry
    lodore

11. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

I looked at one of the sites and they sell a lot of OEM software. Is it legal to buy this kind of software?

12. Howard Kaikow

Rebates are offered most of the year, someplace or other, for Norton IS.
    So, I guess Ill wait for the next deal on NIS, and catch KIS next time around.

Kaspersky needs to learn that garnering market share is more important than having onerous requirements for rebates. Symantec allows copy of title page and is not so foolish to ask for media.

13. Howard Kaikow

"OEM" oft means that the software is illegal.
    Also, OEM software is not supported by the software manufacturer.

If you are building your own computer and are capable of your own software support, then you might choose to use legal OEM software. I'd rather use retail just to be able to get support.

14. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

How would one know the difference between legal and illegal OEM software?
    www.buycheapsoftware.com states it is a vehement supporter of antipiracy policies and is a member in good standing with the Better Business Bureau. Is whatever they say of no consequence and their OEM is just plain illegal?

15. bigc73542

all oem software is legal

16. Howard Kaikow

THere's companies that have been known to sell both OEM and/or non-OEM software that is illegal. you just gotta know from whom you are buying.

17. Howard Kaikow

You have to know from who your are buying and their track record.

18. bigc73542

I realize there is illegal software being sold. but if it is actually OEM software it is legal to sell and buy by federal law.

19. Howard Kaikow

There's two issues:

1. Particular OEM software may be sold separately only if allowed by its license. In some case, particular software manufacturers may choose to to enforce particular restrictions.

2. However, from what I hear, pirated software is not uncommonly sold as OEM software.

20. bigc73542

Like I stated, if it is actually OEM it is legal by federal law to buy and sell it. regardless what it say about not being for resale or what ever. And it goes without saying that yes there is Pirated software disguised as oem. But like I said actual OEM software.

21. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Mail in Rebates of any kind....:p :p

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I don,t understant it BigC. If someone is selling OEM software without any hardware( Pc or NoteBook), he is infact breaching his contract with original software supplier, so software is genuine but this deal is unethical/ illegal. Am I true?
    I am much confused about this issue.

23. bigc73542

no there has to be some sort of hardware included with the OEM software. A usb cable constitutes Hardware. Any hardware item will valadate the deal and make it legal. I sold OEM software in both of my shops for many years and do understand the law pertaining to OEM sales.

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks for that. So the orginal writing from the software comapny " to be sold with a new PC only" does not matter. It can be a Pc or any hardware indeed. Am I true?

Thanks.

25. bigc73542

no it doesn't matter in the least. it has been upheld in federal court three times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.