Nod32???

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by mk22, Jan 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mk22

mk22 Guest

Just how good is NOD32 compared with outher AV

2. profhsg

profhsg Registered Member

That's a tough question to answer because there are so many other antivirus products. The following generalizations should provide some guidance. When it comes to speed of scanning and using fewest resources, NOD32 is right near the top. It is bested only by F-PROT or its Command AV clone. In terms of detection through definitions of malware, NOD32 does well, but in many tests trails some antivirus products, notably McAfee, and Kaspersky AV and its clones. Whether the difference in detection rates matters is the real world is a matter of strong debate. When it comes to detecting Trojans NOD has a reputation (seemingly borne out by the tests described earlier) for being not up to par with the best AVs such as KAV and McAfee. However, NOD seems to be improving in this area and many users utilize a separate antitrojan program such as TDS-3, BOClean or Ewido, which tends to cover any gaps when it comes to Trojans. When it comes to prospective detection, i.e., detection of malware for which a signature has not been supplied, NOD32 usually leads the field. Once again, however, the practical significance of this has been debated. Updates of antivirus signatures are, on average, pretty much daily. This is as good, if not better than most AVs, but not as good as the very best, e.g., KAV updates hourly. During serious outbreaks, NOD32 is sometimes updated as much as several times a day. As far as support is concerned, while ESET does not have telephone support, it is reasonably responsive to email requests. Moreover, support through this forum is very good. As far as ease of use and configurability is concerned, those are pretty much individual tastes, and you'll have to try the various AVs for yourself to get a feel for those qualities.

As far as price is concerned, I believe you can judge that for yourself.

Hope this helps.

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Take a look at www.virusbtn.com for some comparisons, and there are plenty of other test sites out there.

You can always take the trial version for a drive to see how you like it...

Cheers :D

4. mk22

mk22 Guest

Have decided to give the trial version a go for 30days....anythings got to be better NIS....LOL
    The first thing i've noticed since installing is the low footprint compared with Norton and the speed at which it scans my hard drives....this is looking good!!
    Thanks for the quick replies guys.......appreciated
    Mellisa

5. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

6. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Guest

In my humble opinion NOD32 is the best Anti-Virus solution presently available.
    Blackspear and many of the other members of this forum have considerable experience dealing with lots of the available solutions. There's obviously some reason why they continue to choose NOD32 over all the other choices they're aware of.
    I am yet to meet anybody with some level of expertise who hasn't changed to NOD32 once they've successfully tried it unless they've got a vested interest in a different product. NOD32 is comparatively fast, efficient, effective and price competitive, but you make up your own mind.

If you've got any questions about what claims NOD32 or any other Anti-Virus solution make, why don't you check out this page from the Australian NOD32 web site - The ‘Learn how to smell Anti-Virus Snake Oil’ page.

http://www.nod32.com.au/nod32/awards/snakeoil.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.