NOD32 vs the rest...

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Hemelia, Nov 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    NewNOD
    A few things come to mind not in any particular order.

First - perhaps your Kernel32.dll is damaged. To reload it you can follow these instructions.

Second - perhaps another Windows file is damaged or has the wrong version (due to a download changing it). Have you tried Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Tools>System File Checker? Although this is a more difficult possible solution (because one must make an unguided decision about which files to choose) it very well may be the answer. We know of a few people who have had various problems resolved by this fix.

Please consider these possibilities and post your reply to them.

By the way - we are unfortunately not programmers nor do we sell or work for ESET or Wilders (just in case anyone was wondering). :cool:

There may be another one or two things we can suggest but we need to check our archives first.

Best wishes.

2. NewNOD

NewNOD Guest

Hey, QSection.

I posted this earlier in response to your first offer of help:
    Looks like we got crossed up. I already posted quite a bit of info on the other thread which is one of the threads specifically about Kernel32 errors.

Please see that thread, and I'll see your remarks over there. Thanks.

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I saw that you weren't interested in a license extension, that you just want the product to work on your machine... Rod asked for a list of what was going on with your PC...

Cheers :D

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

>What do you mean by Windows graphics exactly?
    Thank you.
    QSection, all I meant was that if I were to enable "Use of graphics" in the NOD32 System Setup Panel, I would find myself with about 60% resources free on boot instead of 84% free which is what I have with that disabled. When we tested beta 1, the first thing many of us W98/SE users noted was that the beta used an inordinate amount of resources. This only affected us W98/SE/M E users. (Deliberate space between letters M E to avoid posting bug).

NOD32 version 1, gave me 86% resources free on boot and that was with the POP mail scanner enabled. The huge drop in available resources for us W98 users, for version 2 beta one, was crippling. That is until someone, Marti I think it was, figured out that all we needed to do was uncheck that box for "use of graphics" to get most of our resources back. Version 2 beta (with IMON enabled) still was a big hit on resources compared to version one and to some other current av. When I unchecked the box, I went to 76% resources free. Still not good enough. I did not test version 2 beta 2 or use NOD32 for a while partly because of this problem. I used another av that gave me 88% resources free on boot with the POP scanner in use.

I came back to NOD32 this summer and when installing version 2, I refused the install of IMON and I noted with satisfaction that I had 84% resources free on boot which is acceptable.

5. Q Section

Mele20
    At this session we have now had this computer on for about 1 hour and we will check system rescources. BRB. OK just checked and just now we have 54% free.

We will now shut off/disable "Use of graphics" and see what resources we have. BRB. Ok we now have 56% free.

Next we will completely shut down NOD32 and report. BRB. Well now we have 58% free. Hmmm...So many Win98SE problems but not here! o_O :)

Some of the main things we found necessary to check were compatability with other programs and corrupted or wrong or newer versions (some newer files were not working properly so we put back the older/original versions) of Windows files (dll's)(checked by using System File Checker in Windows). Have you taken all these things into account?

Best wishes

BTW - we have now turned NOD32 back on with Gaphics enabled and after checking again find we now have 54% free again. We realise 54% is not so very good but the computer runs pretty well and faster than an out of the box XP with no tweaking. We have a Pentium II - 450 mHz and 320 MB ram. :cool:

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Did you reboot after shutting off Windows graphics? If you are seeing only 54% resources free after shutdown and reboot what else are you running at boot? On a W98 system you should have at least 80% resources free on boot. My ISP, Road Runner insists on that and ideally you should have as close to 90% resources free on boot as possible. I have never gone below 83% free on boot until I tried the beta of NOD32. You probably have a lot running on boot that is unnecessary and should be turned off in msconfig/start. If you are starting out with only 54% resources free then it won't take many open applications to get your resources so low that you begin to get "out of memory" errors (really means out of resources) and other problems.

But if you are happy then that is what matters!

I no longer have to worry about system resources. I am typing this on my new XPPro box. :)

7. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Mele,
    There is no mention of a reboot here.........

"Mele20
    At this session we have now had this computer on for about 1 hour and we will check system rescources. BRB. OK just checked and just now we have 54% free.

We will now shut off/disable "Use of graphics" and see what resources we have. BRB. Ok we now have 56% free.

Next we will completely shut down NOD32 and report. BRB. Well now we have 58% free"

8. jan

jan Former Eset Moderator

Hi all,

what a nice talk here! :)

Of course we are glad to see when NOD32 runs at your machines smoothly and can understand your problems with it (when some appear). We can imagine that we'd also not like any software conflicts/problems. So we doing our best to help you. I posted replies to the kernel32 and Exclusion problem. Some problems can be solved fast and some need more attention (when it is more difficult to reproduce/solve them).

The Wilders Forum is really the Eset official Support forum
    (if the user would like to discuss any issue with the others) and http://www.nod32.com/support/support.htm is the official Eset direct support contact. Anyway, if anyone would have any urgent problem, I'd recommend to contact http://www.nod32.com/support/support.htm first. If you'd like to contact both - forum and direct, pls. provide the following information on the places mentioned:

- Eset direct: include the link to your thread at Wilders
    - Wilders Forum: write at least the subject (short description) of your message sent to Eset

Thanks, :)

jan

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Thank you Jan for the clarification of the support venues and what the user should do when in need of support. :)

Guruguy said:
    >Mele,
    There is no mention of a reboot here

I know that, but on W98, it won't matter diddlesquat as far as resources freeing up if all the user does is turn off Windows graphics after an hour of using the computer. QSection needs to turn off Windows graphics and then reboot to see the difference. I can't imagine how any W98 system could be running well if it only has 54% resources free at boot. It should be as close to 90% free as possible .

All I was saying was that the test performed by QSection is not a reliable test unless a reboot is done. I recall NOD32 version 2 does not properly release resources back to the system on W9x based systems unless there a reboot/ This is quite common for applications to behave in this manner and this is a major reason NT based OSes are considered superior to FAT32 ones. I saw no difference with just unchecking that box for Windows graphics until I rebooted.

10. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Guruguy said:
    >Mele,
    There is no mention of a reboot here

I know that, but on W98, it won't matter diddlesquat as far as resources freeing up if all the user does is turn off Windows graphics after an hour of using the computer. QSection needs to turn off Windows graphics and then reboot to see the difference. I can't imagine how any W98 system could be running well if it only has 54% resources free at boot. It should be as close to 90% free as possible .

All I was saying was that the test performed by QSection is not a reliable test unless a reboot is done. I recall NOD32 version 2 does not properly release resources back to the system on W9x based systems unless there a reboot/ This is quite common for applications to behave in this manner and this is a major reason NT based OSes are considered superior to FAT32 ones. I saw no difference with just unchecking that box for Windows graphics until I rebooted.

I realize this too. I was pointing this out to you because he needs to reboot per your previous instructions......just making sure that you realized this because I don't think he realizes that he should test it WITH a reboot.

11. Q Section

Hello Everyone

Well we performed a reboot with Graphics mode off. Just before reboot we had 54% free and after reboot we had 60% free. We then proceeded to shut off every and all programs listed in Task Manager except systray and explorer. We then found we had 90% free. We did not perform a reboot at that time as we have many programs set to launch upon startup.

So........some think we have too many programs on startup. What can we turn off to make a more streamlined setup? We have running:

NOD32
    Outpost Firewall
    SpywareGuard
    WormGuard
    RegistryProt
    Cookiewall
    SearchBarPro
    Edexter
    Cacheman

and that is it just now in this current test configuration.

Does anyone see any overlaps so we could turn off something?
    Thank you.

Edit: We realise there may be a few other processes running that are not listed in Task Manager.

12. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Personally I don't think Wormguard is a necessity since you have Outpost and NOD32.

13. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I think the others should stay. I actually have quite a few anti-spyware programs - SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster, Spybot S&D, Ad-aware, XP Anti-spy.

14. sig

sig Registered Member

There's a big difference, especially on a W9x box, between constantly running programs which use resources and programs that aren't continually runnng and thus use no resources such as SpywareBlaster and XP AntiSpy (which of course is an XP app and XP doesn't have the same memory issues as the 9x family). With 9x's notorious memory management the number of running programs and memory used can make a significance difference in performance. Which is no doubt why Cacheman is one of QSection's running programs. ;)

I'm rather frugal in what I have starting up on my old W98 PC, just running an AV and usually ZoneAlarm. But then I'm the only user and somewhat cautious in my activities, run Proxomitron for cookies and web filtering, with no running services or open ports. Not knowing who else may use QSection's PC or what it's used for, I'd hesitate to say cut back on the security apps if that set up suits him and doesn't prevent him from actually using the PC for normal activities. I would trim it down considerably for my use, but that would be within my comfort zone and not necessarily someone else's.

I must say the main relief in running XP on a newer PC is the increased stability and not having to keep track of the memory use of all running programs. :)

15. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

>I must say the main relief in running XP on a newer PC is the increased stability and not having to keep track of the memory use of all running programs.

I've only had my new box for a few days, but I agree completely! A lot of things I don't like about XP, but the two you mention I love! (Now if I could just get rid of all the silly childish looking icons and other childish stuff in XP...in this regard I miss W98SE which looks far more dignified and I have XP Pro which should be business like ...yet I feel like I am in the middle of a comic book).

16. MegaHertz

MegaHertz Registered Member

Mele20,

You can disable themes which helps with resources and it gives you the classic look of the older windows OS's (which I also prefer). If you are not comfortable disabling services yet then just right click your desktop choose properties and on the themes tab choose Windows Classic as your theme.

17. sig

sig Registered Member

Yup MegaHerz got it, you can just change to the classic gui.

18. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

This is OT so to be brief, I tried classic but that gives me huge icons on the task bar (even in the themes which give you a choice of small icons) and no control over the themes. I also want a very narrow task bar vertical on the left. So, in order to get small icons, etc. I have to use XP view although I don't like it...but I love some of the XP themes and I want to be able to overide the colors on the active windows, the size of the icons, etc. and that can only be done if you use XP theme. Plus, classic doesn't stop those silly looking XP icons...all that seems to do (besides give me huge icons) is affect the layout of the start bar and things like Windows explorer layout. I have an absolutely stunningly gorgeous new LCD 19" monitor and I want the themes and screensaver (my slide show) so I can wallow in the beauty of this display. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.