nod32 VS kaspersky

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by the confused, Jul 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Yes, the test bed defines the winner. Different test beds provide different types of information - the "winner" being probably the least interesting aspect for me.

My approach is to try to understand the weaknesses of each product (the strengths are usually obvious), and fill in (or backup) the areas, as best as I can figure out, with additional products or solutions. The combinations and permutations are numerous.

So the best place to start is to choose one of the top-rated products (the one that "feels best" to you), then proceed to understand the product that you have chosen as best you can, and then determine whether there are any weaknesses that need to be addressed, and possible solutions. The more information about a product, the easier it is to apply good follow-up solutions.

Rich

2. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

Nod32 vs Kaspersky. Which one? Test trial both. Purchase the one that is best for you. If you can't decide. Purchase both. That's what I did, and a lot of others on here have did the same. Both are good. Although, I've noticed that I run kav more than nod32.

If I had to pick one? It would be kav. It has better trojan detection, according to av-comparatives.org. I also like kavs simple interface. Nod32 has a cluttered interface imo. It also takes me a lot longer to get nod set up after installing it.

I can have kav up and running before I can get my user name and password copied and pasted in nod. I haven't tried the new nod beta, it may be more user friendly.

As some have previously stated. There is no best antivirus imo. What I like, you may detest.

You can read more about them here

3. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

As stated earlier. KAV is better in speed of new signatures, better in ITW detection. NOD32 is better in heuristics (new not yet detected/signature analyzed variants).

I currently use NOD32 and KAV5 both. I think they complement each other. However, I don't recommend KAV5 for beginners.

As for scanning speed, I think it's quite hard to compare, as there are so many settings that affect this (heuristics, archives, types of packers, non-virus malware, ADS usage, etc.). I'm not going to touch this subject.

Personally I don't think there is a single best solution in terms of detection/speed, but KAV is for me the best in terms of detection bredth/depth and speed of signature updates.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I've read alot of interesting comments on NOD32 and KAV, except the posts about trying to rank AV scanners.
    Testing AV scanners is nothing more than a good indication. It separates the good AV's from the lesser good AV's.
    The right test bed would be a collection of all malwares every made on the internet, but creating such a test bed is IMPOSSIBLE.
    So nobody will ever know which AV, AS, AT, AK, ... is the very best.
    I find it amusing that different AV, AS, ... tests always have a different AV, AS, ... winner, while the Olympic Games have only ONE winner.

I ran NOD32 and KAV recently on my computer and both didn't find any threat, just like my AVG Free didn't find anything either.
    So I'm not really motivated to buy NOD32 and/or KAV.
    (If my wife didn't spend so much money, I would have bought NOD32 and KAV, but I love my wife more than anything else. :) )

5. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

I believe that the fact that these arguments are nearly always between NOD v KAV speaks volumes for both. Afterall you don't see many NOD or KAV v Norton or McAfee threads do you !! :D

Anyone considering buying either of them would not be disappointed with their purchase and will be very well protected.

I would like to say though that many NOD users seem to like to have KAV (or a KAV based AV) as a backup on demand scanner. As a KAV user I have tried other AVs as backup on demand but they have never found anything that has been missed by KAV so now I don't bother - I just run KAV and an ocassional scan with Ewido free (which only ever finds tracking cookies).

6. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

[QUOTE
    (If my wife didn't spend so much money, I would have bought NOD32 and KAV, but I love my wife more than anything else. :) )[/QUOTE]
    You sure?How can anybody love anything more than Kav or Nod,I just cant believe it!!(LOL)

7. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    The official NOD32 forums reside here...so don't be surprised to see responses leading towards one side. ;)

"ignoring GUI and comfortable of menu and using of resources and to focus on performance and efficient" I find this statement conflicting, summing up to "ignoring...use of resources"..yet.."focus on performance". Those two are related...performance, and resources. Which is what led me to chose NOD32 over KAV when looking for a replacement for Symantec for maintaining my clients networks.

I understand KAV improved it's resource management in the most recent version, which was a deciding factor back then for me (the heavy resource use...bogging down machines), but I had already become an NOD32 reseller, and I'm happy with it.

NOD32 has daily updates, some days you'll see several updates....I believe I've seen 5x updates on one heavy day.

I also feel it's RA network management console is fantastic.

I like the interface, some people call it complicated, I don't feel so. It allows you to quickly, cleanly fine tune/shut down/start up individual components...nice power user features. Some users want a simplistic interface, something basic like Symantec, there's nothing wrong with that, but I guess I could see how NOD32s interface is too much for them.

I see many people pointing back to the old av-comparatives funky looking attempts at comparison charts, noting that NOD32 isn't as strong at detecting trojans. Well, it's an old outdated version of NOD32 in that comparison, NOD32 drastically improved trojan and internet threat detection with version 2.5, I wish they'd update and use the current version.

8. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Rubbish, both the Kav & Nod versions in the last comparatives were older than their present versions, they have been improved with the later versions, but this is how it goes in this game, ever changing/improved versions, i doubt that you will see an drastic change in the overall picture, because if you care to go through all the tests, you will see that picture is more or less the same from test to test, but, i fully understand that as an Nod-reseller you want to paint a positive picture of Nod. ;) :)

Btw. A new comparative will come in august and i'm sure that Andreas will use the latest version available of Nod & Kav for this, he is AFAIK a Nod user himself, so i'm sure he doesn't put Nod at an disadvantage on purpose, he just uses what available at time of the test.

9. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I don't believe it's rubbish, as the KAV version changes were incremental to the latest version, and NOD's prior version which was tested really didn't deal with internet threats/trojans. The new 2.5 is a drastic change. Prior KAV versions were already strong in trojans, I never said they were not. I only stated I'd like to see something more along the lines of comparing oranges to oranges. Was NOD32 a bit late in the game in doing this IMON component and being strong in adware/spyware? Perhaps...but eventually 2.5 came out, and that's one of the main additions to it. So in my opinion, I see many people state that "Well, NOD32 sucks in trojan detection, KAV walks all over it, because av-comparitives says so"....it's not a fair comparison.

Me being a reseller is irrelevant, as I only became one so I could service my various small business clients, I am not a retail shop servicing walk in clients, I only service my longstanding clients..so what the world thinks of NOD is irrelevant to me. When I take on a new client, off goes their old antivirus, on goes NOD32. No sales pitch involved.

10. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Fair enough, but all this "the latest version is much better", is something we say/hear all the time and frankly IME it almost always sales-talk and things stay about equal, do i think it always will, no, those who stand still will be left behind, no doubt about that. Kav and Nod both seems to be developing with the times.

AV-comparatives is the only test which deals with different malware and not just ITW, and at the same time seems very professional/respected and also regularly makes tests (3-4 times a year) so we can get a glimpse of where the different AV's are detectionwise.

This view will of course change if Nod performs better than Kaspersky in the august on-demand test, if this happens i will of course be screaming how flawed these tests really are. ;) :D

11. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I must say I am very interested in this topic. And, as usual I have an opinion. I must say that I am very impressed with NOD32. With itsa advanced heuristics it's very hard, if not impossible to beat. NOD's footprint is very small, I can't even notice it on my system. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for KAV.

I like KAV also and believe that it provides (arguably) the best protection. But it uses a lot of system resources. 6.xx beta has begun to change this, but for the current release, it's a definite negative. KAV's scannig time is also drastically greater than NOD. There have been other posts that have mentioned the update frequency of KAV, and while that is impressive be careful not to make too big of a deal about it. I would rather put my faith it heuristics. Let's not forget that NOD is not too shabby either, in terms of definitions.

Also, NOD offers a student discount which lowers the price to $19.95/year. KAV cannot even dream to compete with that. KAV is great, that's not being disputed. For the above reasons though, NOD32 2.5025 is the king!!!

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I should just shut up, but I just have to give my opinion as to which is better, Kav or Nod. I am running Kav and am very pleased with it. But I also have a license to Nod and really like it also. The only reason I quit useing nod was that there was a compatability problem with something on my computer and it just didn't run as well as it could. it is not a problem of Nod but some other software on my comp. I am not afraid to place the security of my computer to either one. but neither one is the best, they are in my opinion the best two available and I like them both.

13. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

bigc,

did you already tried to disable, one by one, your program to see if you find the incompatibility with NOD32?

Regards

14. bigc73542

Messed with it for about three days :doubt:

15. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

That is a lot of time :(

Maybe after a format, it works better... :)

16. bigc73542

already tried it :(

17. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I can see that it's difficult to find the problem... :(

Only a fresh windows install, and test one by one each installed program, you can find the answer, but this will take a lot of time and patience...

How NOD32 works with that incompatibility that you can't use it on active protection?

18. bigc73542

What happens is that nod runs very slow on here. Kav scans the whole computer in fifty minutes, 260.000 objects and Nod does it is one hour and fifteen minutes. o_O o_O

19. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Try to talk with the ESET team to see if they find some program, that you have installed, that could have some incompatibility with NOD32...

20. bigc73542

Been there done that ;)

21. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Of course, you are the master :D

22. bigc73542

I think it is just one of the mysteries of life :D ;)

Attached Files:

23. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

... and we have to live with them... :D :D :D

24. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Alright, I am about to give my opinion. Everything to be said has been said, and I say it again: THERE IS NO BEST AV.

Take a look at Kaspersky, BitDefender and NOD32.

Kaspersky:- Better heuristics with the 2006 version
    BitDefender:- Currently improving their heuristics and brushing up the signatures
    NOD32:- Improving the signatures

Other AVs are also doing something or the other to improve their products.

The above info shows that at least these three AVs will be quite on par with each other in the coming years. Then what difference will it make if we use BitDefender, NOD32 or KAV?

Sometimes, things dont come when you expect them. But they do listen. At this time, one AV may not be so good in either heuristics or signatures, but of course it will improve over time.

So, be happy, if you like your AV, stick with it, and be assured that it will improve with customer demand and changing times and competitive markets. :)

25. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Please feel free to report mistakes/errors/corrections with my views posted above :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.