nod32 & tds3?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by tobamore, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobamore

tobamore Registered Member

Hello, I realise similar questions have probably been asked before, but I was wondering whether just running nod32 and not tds3 (or other anti trojans) is enough? I was a NAV 2004 user before seeing the light ;) and didn't run tds3 routinely alongside NAV, preferring to run fortnightly scans via tds3 manually. In other words, since I never got a trojan running that setup (with Outpost firewall and router) is it safe to assume that doing the same thing but with nod32 instead, is as secure? I don't want to waste system resources running tds3 at startup if my situation is no less secure.

mtia,

T.

2. tobamore

tobamore Registered Member

*bump*

3. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Hello, tobamore. I run both NOD32 and TDS3. NOD is great at detecting viruses, and TDS3 is the best at detecting Trojans. So IMO using one without the other leaves you vunerable to attack.

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there Tobamore,
    NOD32 not only covers a lot including viruses, email scanning and has a resident protection/ monitoring, TDS has the resident part in the Exec Protection blocking malware from even executing at all and being able to detect it before it did infect your system. And TDS might detect other things and uses other ways of detection then NOD32, so they are a very nice couple. I think depending on your computer use and practises a full system scan with TDS about once a week as long as you update it each day could be sufficient.

5. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi Tobamore,

I used to have NAV, Pest Patrol, and TDS-3. I thought I was fine with just scanning a download with NAV, and every so often scan the system with TDS-3. Boy was I wrong! One day I downloaded a freebie software that I wanted to try out. I was more suspicious than usual that day. So I scanned it with NAV - nothing. Pest Patrol - nothing. TDS-3 - 3 positive trojan components!! Lucky me. :D Definately scan what you download with your best scanners. It is much better to catch it before it executes.

You can set TDS-3 so it doesn't scan the Process Memory Space when it starts up so it loads quicker.

6. leehigdon3

leehigdon3 Registered Member

Why would you want it to *not* scan process memory? That's where you find the trojans you really need to worry over.

7. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi LeeHigdon3,

Certainly for maximum security you should scan process memory. But that is the option that slows the startup the most when you have TDS-3 startup on each boot. When I do a full system scan, I enable it. But for day to day boots, it does take a bit longer to load, so I leave it disabled. If your system is peppy enough, leave it enabled.

8. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

HI leehigdon3 :)

That's because it takes quite a while to do on initial TDS startup. A majority of us do not tick this option for the initial startup of TDS, especially if you have it starting up with Windows. It can cause a long hang time while it checks.

The best way of doing it with a Windows Start up [note: this is only if you have registered version, as it's pointless having it start with windows if you cannot have the RTM of Execution Protection option anyway], is to check No for the Start with Windows, then put a tds.exe shortcut into your Start/Program Files/Startup folder. That way it will start up once windows is loaded along with your other startups, AV, FW, etc.

Now, when you do a Full System Scan with TDS, it incorporates 'every' scan option, regardless of what you have it set for "startup only".
    So even if you only have one item checked in StartUp Options, a FULL sys scan uses all available parameters set by TDS.

screenie shows what most people use for their start up

If you have a paid/registered version, then you can set Execution Protection and in real time, so protection is complete along with your AV RTM's scanning.

If you only have it for an On Demand check, and only open it to do a system scan, then it's pointless having it check a lot of stuff on "startup", as the very Full System Scan will only check ALL of those items again. :)

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

• 085.GIF
      085.GIF
      File size:
      10.7 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.